Hungary 2014

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the 2nd drive we all adjourned back to the hunting lodge for a delicious dinner of spicy Hungarian sausage, with a kind of thick vegetable soup and home made bread. Pudding was a tasty apricot

Earlier this month Dogs-n-Natives and I had the pleasure of hunting in Hungary for 4 days. I have been twice previously, but this time we were driving over so we could hunt our own dogs.   After a

After lunch, we were into the last drive of our trip. We were are the extreme left of the line, strung out over some pretty challenging terrain. The steep slopes with cliffs and ridges were definitel

Posted Images

Not bad for a pair of fannys ;-) glad you both had a good time.

Stig my money is on unlaced lying on the sofa with a beer, dictating to his long suffering mrs, who was typing away while feeding there new arrival, hence the wife sounding replie :-)

• Like 2

What a hunting trip! That sounds excellent. I've always said I'd rather be in the beating line on one of those big game drives than shooting (which is fortunate because after my performance on saturday it's a fact that nobody would be having any bacon for dinner! LOL).

What's involved in the land/game management of a shoot like that? I mean, I assume they have gamekeepers or similar? Do they feed them/manage the land specifically to support them or is it just a case of hunting the wild surplus with minimal management? How often do they hunt through the season? Obviously most driven game bird shooting in this country is heavily managed to support relitively heavy shooting pressure. Shit, that's a lot of questions, sorry.

What a hunting trip! That sounds excellent. I've always said I'd rather be in the beating line on one of those big game drives than shooting (which is fortunate because after my performance on saturday it's a fact that nobody would be having any bacon for dinner! LOL).

What's involved in the land/game management of a shoot like that? I mean, I assume they have gamekeepers or similar? Do they feed them/manage the land specifically to support them or is it just a case of hunting the wild surplus with minimal management? How often do they hunt through the season? Obviously most driven game bird shooting in this country is heavily managed to support relitively heavy shooting pressure. Shit, that's a lot of questions, sorry.

These kind of drive big game drives are VERY big business. In Hungary the average wage (according to Wiki) is about E900/month, before tax.

The culling fee for a pig the size my dogs stopped is E180 (no, I didn't have to pay). Large trophy boar (dictated by the size of their tusks) are E315-1500 each. I tried putting together a shooting trip for some of the lads I was at uni with last year, but they all balked at the cost. None of them were short on cash either. During my 3 trips I have never come across a Hungarian gun, they were all either German or Swiss.

The season for driven hunting runs Nov-Jan. During this time most of the hunting areas were hunting 3 times a week. I am told that during this time it is possible to become almost a professional beater.

The hunting areas are well staffed by gamekeepers and professional hunters. They are responsible for feeding the animals through the winter. The land to my British eyes to be quite wild and untouched, but I have been told it is relatively intensively managed.

In fact, I was told that to ensure there are enough large 'trophy' boar for the guns, some of them will be put down the day before or even the morning of the drives. These put down boar will have been raised in a boar garden. This is a training facility for hunting dogs. This makes these pigs especially dangerous, as they will have little respect for the dogs.

• Like 3