Kelpie Crosses

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love that style of hunting/mouching,...   Obviously,..such wee curs and mongrel types are not going to fill a van with a hundred conies,. or a pile of hares,..and if I was still keen to travel,..

Tough dogs those Aussie dogs! This Pic I saw recently, and thought I would share

F,J you was not alone a guy local to me had one from a pup but it never made anything, also When I used to help out at the shows, I spoke to a guy at ponta pike in county duruham he had one and said t

Posted Images

as kids we had mongrel colie type lurchers great fun but were limited in pace ,but good for round bramble patches, the game is not about in some areas to have mooching style lurchers as much, we moved on to more speedier racier types that fill the bag were ever , but as yongsters we had some fun rabbit hare, we had great sport but were out run many a time, used to piss me off ,nothing worse than a dog trying his hardest and never getting there ,but as 12 13 and 14 year olds never new any better until we got a lone of a track greyhound then saw other types of lurchers , great days all the same , they were good for around a burry but if the rabbit got a bit space they used to toil to make it up but great fun ,

Edited by fluff
  • Like 2

great post this [not one slagging comment!] I no longer work lurchers but as lads we used collie curs to mooch about and we always came home with something to show off they had bottle [something we liked about them ] most were great little guard dogs -no scrapping amongst them they worked as a team from ratting to rabbitting to pinching a few pheasants lol I think when im done with the spaniels im having a pure collie for company as I find them to be a cracking versatile dog

post-57910-0-27816300-1393159706.jpg

• Like 3

:boogy:I love that style of hunting/mouching,...

Obviously,..such wee curs and mongrel types are not going to fill a van with a hundred conies,. or a pile of hares,..and if I was still keen to travel,...I would be looking to work with, a far more physically gifted critter,.but,..my standards are pretty darn low these days, and like most older guys,..I am entering my second childhood,..and genuinely enjoying myself in just the same manner as I did all those years ago.. Only this time around,..I take my time,.stand back and watch the hunt unfold,..as opposed to getting all steamed up over a poxy rabbit,.and if I miss a catch,..so fecking what... :laugh:

• Like 13

ye its just a rabbit and when legal whatever got up, but if youve traveled and things get away and you think they should be caught it can still get exiting, i like a sporting chase unles its nessesity then job done and dusted ,years ago there were alot more corners of feilds were there was bramble patches over grown land ,always held hare rabbit and odd pheasant ,used be alot of carrots root crops used to get the collie lurcher in and hunt the land out hares etc or the odd rabbit would bolt ,great days , now all the good land were the hare once lived gone ,built over, shot to much to many cars roads , lamping came on the scene ,now you have to go well of the beaten track to find good little spots or nearer villages towns alot of game in these areas nowadays, good for the collie cur type

• Like 1

Completely agree. I have permission on a small area within walking distance, which is handy as I can't drive. More often than not I come home empty handed but it's a very enjoyable empty handed! Unfortunately, it's now in the process of being covered in concrete so I didn't even bother to replace my pair of ferrets when they died a year ago. Never mind...I prefer bushing/mooching/raking about anyway...there's less to carry!

• Like 2

is that out litter you an nick bred fireman? how old are they now? solid lookin thing aint it

Yes it is Dotty and he's around 5 years old now mate and as it goes he's only ever had one injury and that was years ago when he sliced a pad on a broken bottle on a dog walk,

Without saying to much a working bred import has been imported :thumbs: and i'd like to say my acd x days ain't over just yet mate :victory:

Very interesting! I would love to see/have another A.C.D. cross. If from a temperamentally sound one.

as kids we had mongrel colie type lurchers great fun but were limited in pace ,but good for round bramble patches, the game is not about in some areas to have mooching style lurchers as much, we moved on to more speedier racier types that fill the bag were ever , but as yongsters we had some fun rabbit hare, we had great sport but were out run many a time, used to piss me off ,nothing worse than a dog trying his hardest and never getting there ,but as 12 13 and 14 year olds never new any better until we got a lone of a track greyhound then saw other types of lurchers , great days all the same , they were good for around a burry but if the rabbit got a bit space they used to toil to make it up but great fun ,

:hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

:boogy:I love that style of hunting/mouching,...

Obviously,..such wee curs and mongrel types are not going to fill a van with a hundred conies,. or a pile of hares,..and if I was still keen to travel,...I would be looking to work with, a far more physically gifted critter,.but,..my standards are pretty darn low these days, and like most older guys,..I am entering my second childhood,..and genuinely enjoying myself in just the same manner as I did all those years ago.. Only this time around,..I take my time,.stand back and watch the hunt unfold,..as opposed to getting all steamed up over a poxy rabbit,.and if I miss a catch,..so fecking what... :laugh:

I'm with you there Phil. In my twenties I used to bust a gut to put stuff in the bag. But now I just enjoy standing back and watching the dog work - nose work is far more important to me now than it ever was back then. Always great for the dog to catch but if he's had a good hunt I'm happy regardless of the outcome.

• Like 4