Was out with my russell dog today by some barns , i was doing some work and he was mooching about by some bales . Next thing all hell breaks loose , he had a fox up the side of the bales in a very tight gap , i couldnt reach him and he eventualy killed the fox . When i eventually got him out and put him away i was able to hook out the foxes body , it was really mangey , with very little hair on its tail and mask . I rang up my mate who i dig with for advice and he recomended some hibi scrub and some ivomec which i have . Anybody got any advice , dont want to risk the dog but would like to avoid a trip to the vets if possible . Cheers

Use advocet pal my bitch caught it and it sorted it out I a couple of doses

Is it more than likely he will get mange ? Do you use it as a precaution or a treatment , and what is it and where can you get it ? Cheers

just jab it up with .2 of a mil of ivermec that will sort it

My mate gave me some ivomec and he just syringes 1 ml on to the skin a bit like frontline , you jab it ? is that safe , the stuff we have is the pour on , is yours different ?

don't jab the pour on mate it diffrent

just jab it up with .2 of a mil of ivermec that will sort it

My mate gave me some ivomec and he just syringes 1 ml on to the skin a bit like frontline , you jab it ? is that safe , the stuff we have is the pour on , is yours different ?
don't jab the pour on mate it diffrent

Wasnt going to mate , the stuff topper has must be different .

Is it more than likely he will get mange ? Do you use it as a precaution or a treatment , and what is it and where can you get it ? Cheers

Tried to google Advocet with no joy , is the spelling ok ? All i got was pictures of birds and some window locks !

i use noromectin, a blue pour on for livestock. mighty stuff.

i was told that all the pour-ons were dangerous for dogs

like noromectin

crovect and disect ect

any experience of ivermectin jab? :blink: ive had a full shot of that in my arm and f**k THAT AGAIN!

If you`re going to treat for mange, you need to know what type of mange your dog may have first. No point in treating guesswork.

For example:

Cheyletiella mange can be treated with just a mild dog shampoo to make the dog more comfortable & will usually run its course in about 3 weeks.

Demodectic mange can be treated with Demodex or Ivermectin. Some dogs can have a reaction to Ivermectin so another alternative could be milbamycin, a heartworm preventative.

Sarcoptic mange can be treated with the likes of Ivermectin, Selamectin, Moxidectin or milbamycyn oxime.

If in doubt, use the vet. Don`t understand why some folk put shedloads of effort into a working dog, then avoid the vet to save a few bob. If your dogs worth it, get it to the vet & get it sorted.

(Although I do realise you sometimes have to be a little selective over which vet you attend)!!!

• Like 1

i use noromectin, a blue pour on for livestock. mighty stuff.

i was told that all the pour-ons were dangerous for dogs

like noromectin

crovect and disect ect

any experience of ivermectin jab? :blink: ive had a full shot of that in my arm and f**k THAT AGAIN!

they are dangerous if you overdose with them alright. i have been using it for probably over 10 years now on hounds lurchers and terriers. genuinely good stuff. the lad in the farm supplies place always says "im not sure about this stuff on dogs you know!! i never had any issue with it anyway.

I've used crovect in the past with no problems but now I use ivormectin (pour on).

I did however have a lurcher that had a really bad reaction to ivormec years ago and nearly died as a result.

The lurcher was a collie cross and I was told afterwards that ivormec can't be used on dogs with collie in there makeup, I've no idea why or how true this is but it seemed feasible in my case.