Rabbit Numbers...

Very bad year up there jia,, there's places up there with nothing on,,, a combination of last springs cold weather and snow,, and mixy hitting in August ,,,, right through till the end of November ,,,

Aye f*****g right tomo...... Tomo.... Very poor here..... Me and Jim out last night lads, 187, would have got double that but we could only stay for an hour..... :D

Tosser... :tongue2:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rimfires   There to blame, in my opinion. Lads shooting the fook out of em, and hares.

Lads hunting throughout the year doesnt help

Those are sensible words,.and to be honest,.it's a maxim that myself (and many of my generation), have always lived with... Good rabbiting spots have always been in short supply 'darn sarf',.so,.it ha

Posted Images

As bad as it sounds, if you find rabbits, keep it to yourself where they are, or it wont be there long! We had a lot of land wiped out in that flooding, think it was summer 2012? Memory is shit. And a few thousand more wiped out by disease. 1000's of acres that aren't worth a visit. We've dropped lucky of late, but you've just got to try hard to get onto land others can't, work hard and get a good rep.

As bad as it sounds, if you find rabbits, keep it to yourself where they are, or it wont be there long! We had a lot of land wiped out in that flooding, think it was summer 2012? Memory is shit. And a few thousand more wiped out by disease. 1000's of acres that aren't worth a visit. We've dropped lucky of late, but you've just got to try hard to get onto land others can't, work hard and get a good rep.

Those are sensible words,.and to be honest,.it's a maxim that myself (and many of my generation), have always lived with... Good rabbiting spots have always been in short supply 'darn sarf',.so,.it has never paid to broadcast your activities,.. to all and sundry..... :yes:

I would also add a caviat,..and that is to, 'take them,.. before some other fecker does".... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

I've been on some of my farms locally for over 25yrs and have never killed all the rabbits and foxes, etc, the farmers know I only control the population and never kill everything that moves or eats grass but recently a nephew of one has got himself a class 1 and 2 firearms licence, he has a nightsight that means the rabbits and foxes don't even see a lamp, in the past 12months he has made many of these farms devoid of any sort life, last month I worked a wood through bushing with my terriers and heard bang ! bang ! called my dogs in and walked up to see him grinning with 2 dead foxes, today with all the bad weather I went to a farm to check some earths and my dogs found 4 dead foxes, all rifle shot and left to rot were they dropped, the pr*ck has no respect for the land or the backdrop of his shot, empty cartridges and shell cases everywhere for the cattle to eat, the farmer thinks its great, I asked the kid what he was going to do when everywhere is sterile and barren to be told he will just move on to another farm, he has rifle shot nearly every rabbit on 4 farms now, killing everything that moves without any care for his quarry will make this fine country into a wasteland devoid of any life worth noting and yet it seems some are intent on it, respect what you hunt and it will always be there is what my dad taught me and its always stood me in good stead but it seems that's not enough for this lad, atb, WM

• Like 1

There doesn't seem the respect for the breeding season these days like there use to be

Even in course fishing there plenty that would love to see the closed river season banned

Why ? Selfishness as simple as that

Very bad year up there jia,, there's places up there with nothing on,,, a combination of last springs cold weather and snow,, and mixy hitting in August ,,,, right through till the end of November ,,,

Aye f*****g right tomo...... Tomo.... Very poor here..... Me and Jim out last night lads, 187, would have got double that but we could only stay for an hour..... :D

Tosser... :tongue2:

Ouch cracksniffer that hurt :(

It's that virus from china it was all over the news as it's 100% deadly they were saying Ireland will lose all it's rabbits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_haemorrhagic_disease

A report in the Telegraph last year, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/10405933/Deer-numbers-soaring-while-rabbit-hare-and-fox-fall.html, states that rabbit numbers have almost halved in the last two decades, and makes the link with rabbit haemorrhagic disease;

"The biggest fall, in rabbits, coincides with the spread of a fatal condition, rabbit haemorrhagic disease, for which the first recorded cases in the wild occurred the year before the period covered by the research. The virus has been described as the biggest threat to species since the myxomatosis outbreak of the 1950s."

I've walked over a lot of ground recently that I haven't been over for maybe fifteen years and, where once there were plenty of rabbits, now there's no signs at all. That said, I do know of plenty of seemingly healthy populations. Hopefully they'll remain healthy.... and in good numbers too for years to come!