Deformed Deer

Had a walk out this morning with the keeper up on a local estate, came across a young roe buck with a bad leg. Looked like it had been broken and then healed up and grown the wrong way. (see pictures as i can't explain it) Anyone else got any pictures of any deformities like this that they have come across or any other explanations as to the cause of this?

post-59366-0-45269600-1386535106_thumb.jpg

post-59366-0-41867000-1386535120_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, that's a perruque... Something happens (normally trauma to the testes) which prevents the deer from producing enough testosterone to cause the antler to harden. This means that the bones growth

makes you wonder how it survived car accidents are the most likely as the roe population keeps growing

I think that you are right that It has been broken or dislocated at the joint and then set in the wrong position, perhaps he has been hung up in a stock fence or something.

Posted Images

If you still have access to it try to get the leg and clean it off it would be great to see it cleaned.Here is a pelvis from a Buck I shot this year it looks like it was maybe injured as a very young Deer cos it grew all skewiff although it had no problem moving and ran a short way after the shot went home,I find these things very interesting...........

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

Martin

Just saturday gone by i was invited down to a mates for a days shooting on the pheasents and a couple of hours stalking in the afternoon.He told me he had shot a prickett earlier in the season and when he was aiming at it to take the shot he noticed that there was something amiss with its head.He shot it and when he walked to where it fell its lower jaw was almost completely gone and the smell of the deer was rank.He reckoned someone had tried a head shot and got it wrong and took its lower jaw off in the process,bet it was in some destress.

shot a fallow a few years ago which had lost a front foot at the ankle. the wound was completely healed and grown over with scar tissue and the beast was in fine condition. my guess was a snare injury. also, a friend shot a roe doe which had lost its whole scalp including the ears, again completely healed just smooth bare skin like a skull cap. reckon she must have been run across by some farm machinery (forager perhaps?) when she was a kid.