Leaving A Ferret

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went for a walk upto the set with the staffy, first hole i unblocked nothing came out, then i saw the staff stiffing around one of the holes so i knew he was sat somewhere near that one, uncovered the

this is when a metal bolt trap can come in handy-bait it up and leave a coat over it.atb

Cheers bud, hes soft as shite, so i would have been gutted if i didnt get him back, glad i got him back when i did as i would have been worrying about him until i did    

Collars..

i was going to by a collar, especially after my hob decided to stay underground for what i thought was too long, but when he re-appeared a long way down the hedge, i realised the warrens run long distances along the hawthorn hedges, with some holes well hidden by undergrowth..when i got talking to the other lads who have permission on the land, they wont use collars, for 2 reasons, one being the chance of being snagged on the root systems, (maybe negated by a tight collar?) and, if hob did go to ground, it would be virtually impossible in some places to dig them out, due to roots etc

i did close up as many of the far away holes as i could, to encourage the hob to come back my way, he emerged eventually, but i was bricking it for a while!

Also, feeding, some guys feed them before setting out, to prevent them killing and laying up, some feed only a small meal, so they dont fall asleep. any thoughts on that one?

Do they hunt better in pairs, as some guys put them down singly, some put 2 down, any thoughts?

Im just getting back into ferreting after 30 years, (with my son, before he gets bed sores from watching TV) it never seemed so complicated back then! Mind you, rabbits seem more evasive these days!

Happy hunting!

I think even if a collar did get snagged the ferret would eventually get itself off, they would get too board to not try hard, but doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Even if I can't dig I'll still use a collar. As you found out it's nice to have the peace of mind knowing they are still in the area. My jill managed to wander right past us above ground the other day, through the long grass under the hedge so it's not just holes that let them slip away.

I like to work one ferret at a time, but if things go quiet I'll enter another to try and change the situation.