Before The Saluki And Bull

I worked a pair of Saluki x greyhounds back in the day. Their owner, my pal and a bloke I listened to, once said to me " I've always told you that a dog will work better if you put some love into it. But I don't even like these fecking dogs, let alone love them!"

We caught a lot of deer with them. Despite people only thinking they're good for hares, Salukis and their crosses go mad for deer. They weren't for teeth and were never used for that. The reason I would never have one or any saluki blood in a lurcher is because of those 2 dogs.

I make my opinions based on first hand experience. After owning a whippet x collie and seeing some collie x dogs I don't want any of their blood either.

I get out with a couple of blokes with excellent bull x's but they ain't for me. I like a dog to keep its skin on after it's hit a bit of cover. LOL!!!

Im glad my opinions are on the same basis as yours but my experience with the two types far different to yours mate. Im out in ten minutes with a half x saluki greyhound that within the law has put a lot of chicken killers down. I agree some of them won't touch anything with teeth but there a few that live for it. As for bull crosses mines only ever had one bad injury and that was dealt out by a munty buck. And he hits cover like its not there in the day.

An old boy once told me never to categorise working dogs as there will always be someone who's had the oposite to what your experience and I have to say there's truth in it. Like I said on a recent post if we all had the opinions this running dog game would be boring as f**k.

Atb

• Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were the same,...never worried about the exact breeding,...it just didn't enter our heads...

28 years ago when i was 10 i ran a springer x lab with my ferrets cos it was all my mum would let me have, it was me best mate and to be fair was feckin useless, rabbit bolted in the net dog picked it

I seen my first saluki in the 70s a lad my dad new had it that come from the exchange and mart, as did most dogs that were breed out of are area or you did not no from hear say. hear an old pick I hav

Don't get me wrong, I know there's blokes out there with Salukis that return to heel without even a whistle and whippet's that can have more than 3 runs and don't open up but I'm breed blind because of years of experience. I think I might be lazy. A deerhound x requires no work, does everything I need with no drama and makes me look a lot better than I am.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's blokes out there with Salukis that return to heel without even a whistle and whippet's that can have more than 3 runs and don't open up but I'm breed blind because of years of experience. I think I might be lazy. A deerhound x requires no work, does everything I need with no drama and makes me look a lot better than I am.

At least your honest

• Like 1

I worked a pair of Saluki x greyhounds back in the day. Their owner, my pal and a bloke I listened to, once said to me " I've always told you that a dog will work better if you put some love into it. But I don't even like these fecking dogs, let alone love them!"

We caught a lot of deer with them. Despite people only thinking they're good for hares, Salukis and their crosses go mad for deer. They weren't for teeth and were never used for that. The reason I would never have one or any saluki blood in a lurcher is because of those 2 dogs.

I make my opinions based on first hand experience. After owning a whippet x collie and seeing some collie x dogs I don't want any of their blood either.

I get out with a couple of blokes with excellent bull x's but they ain't for me. I like a dog to keep its skin on after it's hit a bit of cover. LOL!!!

Im glad my opinions are on the same basis as yours but my experience with the two types far different to yours mate. Im out in ten minutes with a half x saluki greyhound that within the law has put a lot of chicken killers down. I agree some of them won't touch anything with teeth but there a few that live for it. As for bull crosses mines only ever had one bad injury and that was dealt out by a munty buck. And he hits cover like its not there in the day.

An old boy once told me never to categorise working dogs as there will always be someone who's had the oposite to what your experience and I have to say there's truth in it. Like I said on a recent post if we all had the opinions this running dog game would be boring as f**k.

Atb

good thread :thumbs:

back in the 70s, when i came into it,we,d never heard of the bullx,we had 1st and 2nd collie ,greyhound and took deer, hare,rabbit,and enjoyed our dogs and what they caught,we never worried about charlie ,we did,nt eat him,that was left for the terrs on a sunday, things were very different then though, much more was tolerated, i did have a friend who had a staffy/grey,and she would take fox regular, but was to hard and suicidal on rabbit,so he kept her just for old red, the landowners were more tolerent as well,you never had old bill in the sky, and more often than not if you got come on,you,d be told to piss off and you did, but went back another day, great days ,good dogs , good fun,.ive kept saluki cross, and i still have one,and a collie greyhound, they suit me and as far as im concerned,its only me that matters, i have friends with bullx,s, they are fine at there job,i have friends in ireland that have collie/grey that would be equally as good as the bullxs on fox, im not even sure when i saw a bullx, the saluki/grey,became very popular,and the beddy whippet.if you wanted an all rounder you found a fella that had them,some were lurcher,lurcher,some were,nt.if you wanted a dog, the exchange and mart was the place to look.

• Like 2

Bought my Lurcher in the 60s found him in the Exchange and Mart, he was supposed to be Whippet X Greyhound X Deerhound X Greyhound, took chances back then, I never saw the Sire or dam, pup came up on the Guards Van on a train.

turned out a decent dog.

:yes:We were the same,...never worried about the exact breeding,...it just didn't enter our heads... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

May be just maybe the old crosses just couldn't compete with the newer ones....

No HM, its just that we didnt have Subaru's to run the quarry down before throwing the bull cross out the back, our dogs need'd to be fit :laugh: , atb, buster.

Still lots of folk out there lamping who don't drive land pal :thumbs:

• Like 1

In the South West a lot of people kept GSD/greyXDH for the bigger stuff Now its all BullX used.I had a GSD/GreyXDH bitch that died 5 years ago & she lived for fox & nothing else!

My father used to get his rabbeting dogs from the Exchange & Mart. They came from Nottingham & were Springer SpanialXGrey Hound. He would send a postal order to pay for it, the pup was then put on the train with the guard & delivered to North Devon.I don't know if I would be that trusting now.

.What ever breeding is in your dogs,& if they do what you want what more can you ask?

• Like 1

potential for becoming a top topic..............one thing thats come to mind with all this nostalgia.........my kids (and now grandkids) will never experience some of the crazy fun and experiences we had then..............my first waterloo cup not an anti in site, pushing a daytime roebuck out of a coppice and seeing a fair test of dog and quarry, a january hare making a fool out of good dogs without having to look over your shoulder...............and these are just some of the legit stuff ................30 or 40 yrs on standing on corners, smoking weed and x boxes seem more acceptable to society

• Like 1

the deerhound x grey x collie x grey were the dogs I had for years and they were very good cross then I got murlin and eve bred dog that was by far the best dog I ever had would run fens work with ferrets and lamp total all rounder they were lurch x lurch

No HM, its just that we didnt have Subaru's to run the quarry down before throwing the bull cross out the back, our dogs need'd to be fit :laugh: , atb, buster.

I hope your one of them HM ;) cant remember the last time i walked a field without a busted hedge and wheel marks all over the field around my way, pot smoking, bone idle so called dog men, boil's my piss, buster. PS, I,ll wind my neck in now as i dont want to spoil a rearly good thred, buster :thumbs: .

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 4

I hope your one of them HM ;) cant remember the last time i walked a field without a busted hedge and wheel marks all over the field around my way, pot smoking, bone idle so called dog men, boil's my piss, buster. PS, I,ll wind my neck in now as i dont want to spoil a rearly good thred, buster :thumbs: .

I have clamped out a motor pal, they tho it's been a handful a Times and I wanted to experience it, I can honestly say the guys I done it with don't ruin land like that, but I do walk the land, always have and always will, it's the walking the land with wind in me face that keeps me going out :D:thumbs:

• Like 1