Hound Packs

I remember a few years ago hearing a hound speak in a covert and I said to the huntsman that he must be at home. The huntsman said to me that the same hound babbled the day before and to try and find out which hound it was.

Turns out it was a draft called Britton.

That evening when feeding time came the huntsman went in to the pack to feed and take Britton away.

Britton couldn't get off his bench he was that exhausted. So we decided to watch him the next day.

Boy could he hunt. He gave everything in every hunt and, funny,if he spoke in covert the other hounds ignored him, as did we.

He remained with the pack for the rest of the season.

Some folk wont tolerate a babbler, some folk will tolerate a whole pack of them.

I think the gun packs can be the worst offenders. If hounds make any noise what so ever in covert it will cause him (hopefully) to leave, be accounted for (hopefully) and it's job done.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends whether you are talking about hunting hounds killing foxes or Hounds being used to flush to a gun. There can be nothing has demoralising to a pack than having its quarry gunned down from un

In the defense of the mounted packs They are more horse orientated because that's whats helps to keep the money rolling in be it from the cap or the wealthy mounted masters. Most huntsmen are under al

Hunting with hounds now theres a contensious subject some people will follow but not understand , ive hunted with fell , mounted, and gun packs , bobbery packs , all in pursuit of charles ,over m

Nobodies mentioned rioting which to me is up there with babbling as the sure fire way to cock up a days hunting, I don't understand why people put up with hounds hunting riot , I've seen mounted huntsman and a couple of the more famous fell huntsman in the early 90s saying "it's because they've not found a fox" etc and you can't blame them , and I believed it as what could I know about this mysterious science that is hunting with hounds this mythical process that the mere layman. Couldn't be expected to understand. This was until I was out with a gun pack in Wales around about the same time a couple of hares had broken cover and few of the hounds started speaking just behind we're they had broken ,a guy next me said they may have opened up on them the huntsman an old guy just turned to him and said "why? I hunt foxes not hares" I gave him the line about not blaming them if no foxes were about etc. he said to me "a bit of advice to you son don't keep something if it doesn't do what you want it to do ,dog, horse or woman!!, there's no science to it just scientists who try to make it more than it is. And since then I've been out with huntsman who tolerate it and their packs riot and huntsman who won't and guess what theirs don't, I've got rid of any hound that does it after its fully entered in my own little pack and I've never thought it has had a detrimental effect on the hunting ability. Plus when all the hounds trust each other , they fly to any hound that starts to even squeak which gets the process going a bit quicker IMO . That's me off the soapbox about rioting ha ah atb

• Like 1

Pups got to learn Heres were we can attitrbute the correct way to bring pups on a having the ameanitys to educate. Hound pups. A simple pen fenced inthe correct way. Learning pups to navigate up and over even under , or may be just best to leave them and scream and ball at them. Lol. Sheep grazing in the puppy run at feeding time etc etc.!!!!!!!!! Time spent is rewarded

Is rioting not a fault with huntsman and staff (most of the time?) that could of been corrected with more work over the summer and out cubbing, with babbling more of a fault (most of the time?) that could be in the hound or in a line of hounds?

Are some types of hounds more vocal in general with a greater tendency towards babbling?

Edited by DIDO.1

Babbling to me is when a hound is opening up and staying in one place,not moving forward but just speaking over the same ground or moving really slowly and concentrating more on speaking than getting on,while a deep scented hound opens up on older drag maybe a good bit before any of the hounds but is still trying to get forward to catch whatever it is that's being hunted (they don't know it's banned) now I havnt got a problem with that as long as there true and to be honest it lets me know there's one about, although I understand some people don't like anything to open up until there on real fresh drag which is fair enough as they want to get as close as they can before Charlie knows he's under pressure

funny how you never hear of staghounds rioting on fox, but then foxhounds on deer will ,i remember a lot of years back i went to stay with a friend at the tiverton staghounds, and he,d taken some decent hounds with him,so as to put fresh blood in,however these hounds were 3rd season fox killers and the country they came from was full of deer, and they would not riot because they had been taught not to, so anyhow they were put in the pack on a hunting day,and would,nt hunt deer,most of the staghounds he had there were sent because of rioting with foxhound packs,im not sure what he did about it as he was only k.h.there was an amateur master-huntsman,and i think they fell out and my friend took the hounds with him to the states,were he hunted fox.

funny how you never hear of staghounds rioting on fox, but then foxhounds on deer will ,i remember a lot of years back i went to stay with a friend at the tiverton staghounds, and he,d taken some decent hounds with him,so as to put fresh blood in,however these hounds were 3rd season fox killers and the country they came from was full of deer, and they would not riot because they had been taught not to, so anyhow they were put in the pack on a hunting day,and would,nt hunt deer,most of the staghounds he had there were sent because of rioting with foxhound packs,im not sure what he did about it as he was only k.h.there was an amateur master-huntsman,and i think they fell out and my friend took the hounds with him to the states,were he hunted fox.

Hooved animals carry the strongest foot scent of all our mammals , or so Iv been told..

There's no doubt about it, the scent of a deer is irresistible to most breeds of dog including pets.

Here in Ireland most packs have only a few deer in their country so stopping hounds rioting on them can be hard as they rarely see them .

You'll encounter hares most days so in theory it should be easier to steady them to Puss.

Another thing common in Ireland is to hear of drafts from England of what would be otherwise very good hounds that couldn't be broken to muntjac.

Talking of stag.

IMO once you've heard a stag brought to bay in water it should be something you'll never forget. If you do IMO your not a hunter, LOL.

i loved my stag hunting and went regular with the D&S,quantock, and a few times with the tiverton, and when he comes down a field and crosses the rack and into the river, and them hounds are hunting the wash,its something else,and when they have him at bay, it curdles your blood, the hairs on my neck are up as i write this,ive not been with the staghounds this year, but i will, good hunting atb lads.

• 3 weeks later...