Price Of Purse Nets

I usually do my own nets and have just worked out the price is around £2 per net,thats just getting the supplies off e bay or one of the normal supply sites,i like doing my own nets and nothing like the feeling of catching rabbits in a home made net,but some people are selling them at around £2.50 a net,either they are getting their supplies a lot cheaper or they are only making about £5 per ten nets,for anyone starting up i would recommend getting some decent nets at that price and not bother with getting the cheap nylon nets which am sure you would all agree are an absolute nightmare regarding getting tangled and poor quality compared to the hand made spun poly ones.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LESS THAN 45 MINS AS THIS NET IS SHAPED...AND A SIZE 9 MUCKBOOT TO COMPARE SIZE... ,KNITTING NETS IS BY NO MEANS A RACE,IF YOU DO NOT ENJOY KNITTING NETS,THEN IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE TO BUY THEM FROM

I usually do my own nets and have just worked out the price is around £2 per net,thats just getting the supplies off e bay or one of the normal supply sites,i like doing my own nets and nothing like t

Hi there,I noticed the same thing,so just lately I've been emailing sellers on the famous site[[who bay]], to see how they can turn the nets out so cheap.SIMPLE THEY CUT CORNERS.Now I'm not saying

Posted Images

Hi there,I noticed the same thing,so just lately I've been emailing sellers on the famous site[[who bay]],

to see how they can turn the nets out so cheap.SIMPLE THEY CUT CORNERS.Now I'm not saying

everyone is doing this , but the one's that I noticed selling cheap nets certainly are.

Now quite a few people like the shaped purse nets,but some of the nets are far to shaped,if you know

what I mean.[[starting with six meshes and going up to twelve, the widest part in the centre of the net

only being twelve meshes wide,or thirteen,or fourteen,still not wide enough.]

I know you pay's your money, you takes your chance, but If I was buying nets I would ask not only

the length, but the width,and how much shaping in the net.

Like pmatty77 says far better to make your own.a t b.

• Like 1

When i first started i got a net kit and that said you could make 12 nets at full length or 18 tapered which were probably starting at 8 meshes,i just done one at 8,8,8,10,12,14,15,15,15,15,15,14,12,10,8,8,8,and too be honest i do prefer the full width,mind you i am a tight get so i may try and work out something in between.

It is like every thing else, the more you buy the better the price. Best to buy materials in bulk with a few mates and split it up, get things much cheaper. Been making a few new nets myself lately 15 meshes wide 24 long 2 1/8 board. I have made tapered ones over the years but I prefer straight ones. As they are for myself and it is my own time I do the best job I can.

• Like 1

I usually do my own nets and have just worked out the price is around £2 per net,thats just getting the supplies off e bay or one of the normal supply sites,i like doing my own nets and nothing like the feeling of catching rabbits in a home made net,but some people are selling them at around £2.50 a net,either they are getting their supplies a lot cheaper or they are only making about £5 per ten nets,for anyone starting up i would recommend getting some decent nets at that price and not bother with getting the cheap nylon nets which am sure you would all agree are an absolute nightmare regarding getting tangled and poor quality compared to the hand made spun poly ones.

At £2 per net can you break that down into what costs what?

Spun poly is easily obtainable for £8.95 a spool( sizes do vary upto 600g+in some cases) X12 nets @75p ea in twine a couple of rings from 6p ea last time I bought some, draw cord 3yds say 30p. Obviously your time does nt come anywhere near minimum wage

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Spun poly is easily obtainable for £8.95 a spool( sizes do vary upto 600g+in some cases) X12 nets @75p ea in twine a couple of rings from 6p ea last time I bought some, draw cord 3yds say 30p. Obviously your time does nt come anywhere near minimum wage

Y.I.S Leeview

Hi there,I think your a bit off with prices.

spun polly more like£10.50,net rings 10p each, draw cord say 30p

so each net costs approx for a four foot net and 18 meshes wide=

net===£1.00

2rings===.20p

cord===30p

total approx £1.50.thats just for the net,so if your selling them for £2 each

your making .50p for an hours work.Ok if you shape your nets you'll

get more than say ten nets from one spool,but not much.

There's also the postage for the twine,rings,draw cord etc.£2.00 say.

All in all I think unless you buy the gear in bulk,its cheaper to buy them

ready made for yourself.On the other hand you cant beat a self made

net,you know exactly how its made,and its going to catch for you.

As its been said before you get what you pay for.

Y.I.S Leeview

Hi there,I think your a bit off with prices.

spun polly more like£10.50,net rings 10p each, draw cord say 30p

so each net costs approx for a four foot net and 18 meshes wide=

net===£1.00

2rings===.20p

cord===30p

total approx £1.50.thats just for the net,so if your selling them for £2 each

your making .50p for an hours work.Ok if you shape your nets you'll

get more than say ten nets from one spool,but not much.

There's also the postage for the twine,rings,draw cord etc.£2.00 say.

All in all I think unless you buy the gear in bulk,its cheaper to buy them

ready made for yourself.On the other hand you cant beat a self made

net,you know exactly how its made,and its going to catch for you.

As its been said before you get what you pay for.

I see you say you make a net in 1hr. Not saying that is not true but there is no way I can make one in a hour, although I don't taper them and they are 15 wide 24 long. As a matter of interest what would you lads say would be a normal time for the size I make.

I reckon it takes me a couple of hours with adding the chord and peg,i know some people are quicker but thats life,i worked the net prices out as rings 13p each =26p,draw chord at 5p per metre x2m,twine £14 for 12 nets = £1.16 per net,pegs 50p,

Its no all about money i think you will get a better handmade net than you could buy elsewhere as long as there done right ,and somebody making a few for them selves and selling the surplus is the way to go

I make all the nets starting at 8 then increase each side every other row untill I have 18 loops, 3rows at 18 then back down to 8, 23 rows on a 21/4" meshboard gives me a 551/2"(4'71/2) net,add the rings and it measures over 571/2"(4'91/2")

Taking hold of the net half way down pulling apart until the rings touch I'll still have a couple of meshes in either hand, these nets weigh 40g in spun poly

Y.I.S Leeview

I make all the nets starting at 8 then increase each side every other row untill I have 18 loops, 3rows at 18 then back down to 8, 23 rows on a 21/4" meshboard gives me a 551/2"(4'71/2) net,add the rings and it measures over 571/2"(4'91/2")

Taking hold of the net half way down pulling apart until the rings touch I'll still have a couple of meshes in either hand, these nets weigh 40g in spun poly

Y.I.S Leeview

I only use 1 3/4 inch board for my nets using spun poly and double knott them all and one of the lads bought some nets off ebay they were ok for small holes but not even a meter about 70cm at best but there is some at a meter for 22.50 I mean it really is for nothing the nylon ones are 18 and are a load of sh@t

Edited by andy97