The Hound Mans Coming

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id been beating for two seasons And helping out during the summer months cleaning drinkers filling bins etc the poults were ready to go to pens , i was sat in the shed having me snap. When a tract

My introduction to diging was much the same although I had a couple of terriers myself there was a chap that lived about 2 mile from me who was known as red bert.Bert was the man to be in with so to s

And i could have replied , experience comes with age the men i grew up with had it they kept enough stock to have the right tool to do the task in hand every time a terrier is entered to earth it i

That read brought back all the digging I done as a kid(I was the gofor)with hairy arsed country men all dead and gone RIP.Great times with no hassle go where you want dig where ever you wanted,welcomed by all as hunting and digging was not a dirty word,and a kick up the arse if you got to clever.

• Like 1

My introduction to diging was much the same although I had a couple of terriers myself there was a chap that lived about 2 mile from me who was known as red bert.Bert was the man to be in with so to speak as he done nothing much else but dig his terriers.I eventually plucked up the courage to approach Bert and ask if me and my then mate could tag along on a sunday morn with him.He to our surprise agreed but told us not to be late and bring grub and plenty of it which we duly did.When we arrived on that 1st sunday morn with a sack of sandwiches h;e started to hand us tools of different types saying we might not need some of them but it was better to be looking at them than for them,1 in particular was a heavy bar made fron the axle of an old cart and it weighed a f***ing ton,lol.We had a couple of good digs that 1st sunday with Bert giving all the instructions and we doing all the work but to watch him listen to his dog work and tell us when the dog was with it and when it was only trying to reach its quarry was an eye opener for us as we would have had the field dug up at this stage with probably no result through to eager to get to the dog.The diging was not for my mate who after a few weeks gave up but I continued to tramp the fields with Bert,i still carrying most of the gear but he did let me use my terriers on occasion when his own were in sick bay and said they were not bad at there work either which delighted me coming from a man of his experience.Bert passed away a few year later after a short sickness and his terriers died away with him as he did not breed any pups from the time I met him,i often thought he knew his time was almost there and that's why he did not breed as when ever I asked him would he not breed he always replied,younglad I have enough to see me out.That was almost 40 year ago and even today each dig is as exciting as it was back then with Bert.

• Like 3

Bodmin your passing comment on a situation that happened donkeys years ago on a place you have no knowledge of you dont know the land of the surounding elements that might make the option of them going to ground a more manageble situation , some places are not rolling hills sourounded by moors. Think before you pass comment some places are best left open. It was a bushing pack bud not the fooking QOURN lol

Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 1

Bodmin your passing comment on a situation that happened donkeys years ago on a place you have no knowledge of you dont know the land of the surounding elements that might make the option of them going to ground a more manageble situation , some places are not rolling hills sourounded by moors. Think before you pass comment some places are best left open. It was a bushing pack bud not the fooking QOURN lol

that's the trouble sometimes I just steam inn with out thinking............but the way you worded it, made me feel like I was there ..........hey it was a great read......

you got any more ....?

I may shock you one day with a story ............makesure you got a strong coffee , keep you awake tho.... :D

edit too say I could of wound you up a little more with a comment like this...."so you would consider using a terrier on an earth that you know has previously collapsed on a terrier and killed it , being bad ground. and you would risk another dog because its more manageable"........well a dog what can give you a life time of foxes aint worth the risk for the sake of one fox........

and when were talking manageable I consider you meaning its easier to get a result .............even if the end result puts the dog in danger.........

but I wouldn't of posted that because I wouldn't want to wind you up ........... :D:whistling:

its a wined up bud.........ive done loads of silly things ,........part of learning.....

And i could have replied , experience comes with age the men i grew up with had it they kept enough stock to have the right tool to do the task in hand every time a terrier is entered to earth it is at risk no matter were , The terrier that lost its life was owned by the same fella It never stopped him working another terrier in the same place because he was a terrier man who understood the risk He was there to do a job he got the result on that occasion the right one Thats terrier work ,

• Like 3

And i could have replied , experience comes with age the men i grew up with had it they kept enough stock to have the right tool to do the task in hand every time a terrier is entered to earth it is at risk no matter were , The terrier that lost its life was owned by the same fella It never stopped him working another terrier in the same place because he was a terrier man who understood the risk He was there to do a job he got the result on that occasion the right one Thats terrier work ,

well the place couldn't of been that bad then,...........to me its common sense ,.......... you see what lengths people go too .,.........to rescue a terrier ,...........if a place is that bad ,..........then for the sake of one dig,........no one with any sense would risk it.......theres the real bad sandy red soil , the stuff what keeps collapsing inn ......once bitten twice shy.....but if you feel its worth the risk of a good tyke ,.then I will respect that decision........every dig is a risk for the terrier , but some places really are a must avoid...........or end up with a dead one

you have bound too have seen more holes than me pal.............and I aint done enough to judge any one or there decisions pal,.........but to me common sense ,......is a lot of it......

well the place couldn't of been that bad then,...........to me its common sense ,.......... you see what lengths people go too .,.........to rescue a terrier ,...........if a place is that bad ,..........then for the sake of one dig,........no one with any sense would risk it.......theres the real bad sandy red soil , the stuff what keeps collapsing inn ......once bitten twice shy.....but if you feel its worth the risk of a good tyke ,.then I will respect that decision........every dig is a risk for the terrier , but some places really are a must avoid...........or end up with a dead one

you have bound too have seen more holes than me pal.............and I aint done enough to judge any one or there decisions pal,.........but to me common sense ,......is a lot of it......

Dont be a crabber whippet, it was a good post dont ruin it :victory:

• Like 1

. Lol yeh Memo to my self use common sence in the past when they invent a time mashine ill go back and tell them the error of their ways or maybe a seance all join hands is there any body there lol

There are some places that I would NEVER have entered a terrier but I knew some people who would put one in literally anywhere :yes: Usually to show there own machismo. :censored: Theres places where dogs have been lost that have also produced results several times over. I'm of the opinion also that no fox is worth the life of a decent dog and if you know the place is bad, its your call. Plenty of foxes elsewhere IMO :whistling:

Good original post GTE, just need your proof reader to help a bit :tongue2:

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I may shock you one day with a story ............

I hope you do...

w

There are some places that I would NEVER have entered a terrier but I knew some people who would put one in literally anywhere :yes: Usually to show there own machismo. :censored: Theres places where dogs have been lost that have also produced results several times over. I'm of the opinion also that no fox is worth the life of a decent dog and if you know the place is bad, its your call. Plenty of foxes elsewhere IMO :whistling:

Good original post GTE, just need your proof reader to help a bit :tongue2:

Cheers, D.

. Would not have a clue what a proof reader was but this just goes to show that your memorys are best kept in your head or only talked about with people who. Would know or undersand , ah well. Ill leave there. Bad places ha ha Every time you work a terrier you send it to harms way. , heat and kitchen spring to mind , plenty of foxes every were lol. Dont do it for sport its pest controll Unforchanate things happen Terriers die in relatively. Safe place things happen Its a life and death situation for terrier and fox FOOK ME THE PC TERRIER BRIGADE Lol
  • Like 1