Tight Beam Or Wider Beam?

I've always preferred a tight beam on the basis that it's more confusing for the quarry and easier for the dog to follow the quarry. But |i was out with some lads recently who prefer a really wide beam. They reckon it makes no difference and if anything it's easier and safer for the dog.

Also I tend not to slip the dog unless the quarry is really close to the dog say fifteen to thirty yards. To me it's all about percentages. I don't want to knacker the dog on long slips where it's chances are poor. The lads I were with slip on hundred yards if need be with doubled up dogs.

These lads also think nowt of lamping on a full moon. Again I would never have dreamed of doing that but it works for them.

Surprising what you can learn.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very long way 200 yard ,,, even on the flattest of fields,,,I'm not saying it's not impossible,,, but it's right at the edge of the working distance....   Anybody that doesn't believe me,,,, go pac

With the beam its up to the man who is lamping and what the dog is used to runing as to long slips there is nothing wrong in testing your dog now and again in my eyes its no good giving them on a plat

long slips with a dog that kniws the game is idealy what i like best, gets and keeps dogs fit, young dogs are best taken as close as possible, moon aint too bad if wind an rain is out but on clear cal

I prefer a tight beam it closes down how much the rabbit can see and keeps as much light out of the dogs eyes as possible as for long slips never on a dogs first season but after that yea why not make him work for a few.

Edited to say lamping on a full moon is fine if you have loads of rabbits but if your like me and there is very few rabbits about I don't think its worth while heading out you only make the rabbits wise to you and your dog which in return means less rabbits caught.

Edited by alan81

long slips with a dog that kniws the game is idealy what i like best, gets and keeps dogs fit, young dogs are best taken as close as possible, moon aint too bad if wind an rain is out but on clear calm moony nights your better off fishing or ferreting them iffy spots lol and as for beam, i like it tight but as long as dog can see bunny then its working fine..

• Like 1

On the subject of lamping what do you guys use in the way of hardware, are you still using the old handheld and battery pack or are any of youse using headlights? Can you personally recommend any brands? Cheers. I'm using a laserlite, sealed gel battery and headlight for walking as well as a led lenser on my rifle scope.

On the subject of lamping what do you guys use in the way of hardware, are you still using the old handheld and battery pack or are any of youse using headlights? Can you personally recommend any brands? Cheers. I'm using a laserlite, sealed gel battery and headlight for walking as well as a led lenser on my rifle scope.

170 tracer and lithium battery pack for me, suits my area fine and piss easy to carry :laugh: also i prefer a tight beam, you can not use an open beam to control the quarry at hedges etc like you can a tight beam.

170 tracer and lithium battery pack for me, suits my area fine and piss easy to carry :laugh: also i prefer a tight beam, you can not use an open beam to control the quarry at hedges etc like you can a tight beam.
It will be piss easy to carry when you lamp on a battery scooter you old git lollol if the lithium dies he just wires to the scooter lollol
  • Like 1

Too tight a beam isn't the best for rabbits. It's easy for the lamper to lose the bunny as it turns. 100 yard plus slips should be the norm. I'll slip my dog on rabbits that are 200+ yards out.

good way to lose a dog its teeth, some very rabbity looking rocks at that distance :laugh:

Too tight a beam isn't the best for rabbits. It's easy for the lamper to lose the bunny as it turns. 100 yard plus slips should be the norm. I'll slip my dog on rabbits that are 200+ yards out.

Very long way 200 yard ,,, even on the flattest of fields,,,I'm not saying it's not impossible,,, but it's right at the edge of the working distance....

Anybody that doesn't believe me,,,, go pace out 200 yard,,,put a dead rabbit on the ground ,,, and put the light on,,,, it's very easy to underestimate distance at night,,,, a rabbit at that distance is hard to see

• Like 4