Help With Breeding.

Debating on wether to breed a bitch of mine, thing is she is only 2. She is absolutely mustard hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Her blood and lines are of top terriers. Seen her parents work and seen grand parents no a lot of history. Never bred my own before. Some say breeding young makes em mature and harder (not the reason I want to breed her) some say it can ruin a bitch. I really want to breed my own stock from this bitch but also don't want to put her back as she is young and has plenty more to learn.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

!!!!!Breeding is gambling!!!!!   You want garantie then better go and buy a toaster!

If the line is that good why are you left with 1 young birch to keep it going? Surely there are older tested dogs in the line you could use, even if they are somebody else's????

Debating on wether to breed a bitch of mine, thing is she is only 2. She is absolutely mustard hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Her blood and lines are of top terriers. Seen her parents work and seen grand parents no a lot of history. Never bred my own before. Some say breeding young makes em mature and harder (not the reason I want to breed her) some say it can ruin a bitch. I really want to breed my own stock from this bitch but also don't want to put her back as she is young and has plenty more to learn.

do what you want, if you want a pup out of it, go ahead, no matter what you say ppl on here will tell anyone not to anyway. Its your dog ;)
  • Like 2

she could of only done one season at that age for me personaly i would let her do another couple of season,s to prove herself then breed off her otherwise

she,s iron hard and you think you might lose her

Yer she is super iron hard, but brains a beginning to show. Hence If I ever loose her then I lost a good dog and line. Yes she has has one season. You would thInk she has had 2 seasons the way she performs. I wouldn't bother with breeding cause I can get good stuff from the circle I'm in but turns out this bitch looks like its gonna be the best we got in the circle. All my mates want a pup from her and so do I.

do what you want, if you want a pup out of it, go ahead, no matter what you say ppl on here will tell anyone not to anyway. Its your dog ;)

I now what ya mean mate. Thanks for your reply. You think it won't harm her in the way she'll work?

she could of only done one season at that age for me personaly i would let her do another couple of season,s to prove herself then breed off her otherwise

Yer she is super iron hard, but brains a beginning to show. Hence If I ever loose her then I lost a good dog and line. Yes she has has one season. You would thInk she has had 2 seasons the way she performs. I wouldn't bother with breeding cause I can get good stuff from the circle I'm in but turns out this bitch looks like its gonna be the best we got in the circle. All my mates want a pup from her and so do I.

If you loose her, that's life.

The amount of people that use that as an excuse fore breeding a young dog/bitch always baffles me :blink:

I want to maintain a line...

If I loose this dog the line is lost...

Its just bullshit.

Give her a testing few seasons then if she is still going strong consider it.

And at 2 years old and being 'iron hard' she can only have had a handful of digs. Even if started as young as 12 months old, she can't of had much more than a dozen digs :blink:

Is that enough experience to say she has what it takes to be a grafter? No.

Is that enough experience to say she has what it takes to be worthy of producing? f**k no

That's my opinion.

But you can go ahead and breed her anyway and hope theres some chocolates in the litter. Should make mint money on e pupz :bad:

• Like 4

I breed what i want to breed i dont have to prove to any fooker or would want to prove to any fooker what my terriers do or dont do lol. Who gives a fook what any one else thinks any way , unless you want to be FAMOUS LOL BREED YOUR BEST TO YOUR BEST AND NOTHING IS GUARANTEED IN TERRIERS

100% agreed. as long as they do what YOU want that's all that matters, as for being a proven dog i had a fell bitch that for 5 years gave it her all on every thing, then just stopped wouldent even go to ground quit as much as quitting could. thou i had already bred a litter from her and the ones that went to working homes have done very well only time will tell if they will quit too i dont think they will but nothing is guaranteed. breeding shouldent changer her but it MAY

• Like 1

If the above is the case and you have your own wee 'circle' what the f**k you're asking advice on here is beyond me..... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

How old are you.... :hmm::hmm::hmm: 10 maybe..... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Just crack on and do what you and your mates have to do..... ;)

• Like 1

Firstly I'd agree with what someone posted about suiting yourself.

I can and never will understand people coming on here and asking what others think, but, now that you have, is it not possible to repeat the mating that produced her or as near as possible. They produced her, your diluting her. I'd always go whenever possible to the dogs producing the goods rather than the goods themselves.

• Like 2

Bang on Mackay I agree, even if he does breed off his young birch, wouldn't going back to the dog that produced her( her sire) or another dog from the line be the best option. You should know what your getting then, ideally....

Edited by Hot Meat