Best Breed For Simulated Coursing An Straight Racing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.... Having said that, if you go round game fairs and do the lurcher racing with a purpose bred race dog..... Your a bit of a dick IMO.

The name The Hunting Life should have warned you that this might be a rough ride lol If youre wanting to race join a whippet racing club or get a flapping greyhound depending on where you live and d

personaly if the lad just wants to go and watch his dog run with like minded people I don't see the harm in it.each to there own.seems a lot of people are fast to put down another mans sport yet were

Posted Images

I've never really been one for lure racing but can see the benefits of a lure to help condition a dog for work....

One story that stick in my mind and always brings a smile to my face is a tale about an old friend that entered his lurcher 23" bedlington whippet greyhound in a race against a fat black lab. we all thought it was a given until the lure moved , the lab was off and my mates bitch looked at him to say what the fork is that you want me to chase. His face went blood red in seconds he still gets a red flush when we mention it now :laugh::laugh:

In truth there's nothing to be embarrassed about but like fork am I telling him that. :laugh::laugh:

I strongly believe that a true worker won't chase a lure with the same passion as he would live quarry

• Like 1

I bought a dog from out and out racing stuff, I wanted to race it on a Saturday morning from traps as a whippet.

Both sire and dam were bred to win at country shows up and down the country.

Mirillion /country music lines.

Bitch was fast but that's all, wasted as a rabbiting dog, no brains, less stamina then wisdom if at all possible.

both mine will chase a lure and when at shows (i haven't been to any this year) i sometimes enter for the craic, its a wee bit of fun some banter, both mine work regular and it helps keep them in trim during the summer.

one of the most successful show and lurcher race dogs in this neck of the woods is an outstanding worker capable of taking ALL game, hes bred with bull, saluki and greyhound in him and although he looks greyhoundy albeit a big strong one no-one bats an eye

if i were running lurcher racing i'd throw in some proper hurdles.....lurchers can jump......can the purpose bred racers?

150yds prove nothing most rabbits are caught in maybe 30 or 40 why not have shorter bunny sprints on bumpy hilly track maybe mimicking ferreting conditions ?

and for the bigger sleeker more coursing types not many hares are taken in 150yds we read on here they give them that kind of start / law...why not try a marathon distance the smaller speed merchants would be breathing oot their arse by halfway

its been happening since the dawn of dogs.whatever we use our dogs for we select the best for purpose.its why hare coursing ended up saluki saturated foxing bull saturated and so on.horses for coarses.you wouldn't compete on the fens seriously with a first cross collie greyhound.but you may run the odd long ear for the fun of it.people who enjoy the lure coursing are obviously going to want to do well at it.

you cant tar them all with the same brush.yes I guess some of them haven't a clue about dogs health.but I also bet some of them excel in this.can you say the world of working dogs is full of people who want nothing but the best for there dog.i know a lot of you treat your dogs like royalty.but as for others?????.

maybe the shows should hold separate coursing events for lurchers ie sight hound x working breed and pure sight hound.although this could get a bit confusing.

each to there own I say.

• Like 1

Had my young bitch out on the lamp last night for her second time and she filled a bag full,of rabbits for me and only missed three rabbits all night ... Would she win a race at her age against these dogs bred for racing ... Not a chance ... Would one of these have filled a bag for me last night ... Probably not ... I know which I would rather in my kennel ......

wrong again i have a dog that would win a race and fill a car boot matter of fact the bitch still doing it,

Any tips on whats the best lurcher for racing an sim coursing looking for new pup cnt decide whats best

theres alad called markbrick his are good for running in fast straight line after bags..if that's all you want them for..

not just for straight lines they even went on the fens and beat the forley cup winner.even you backed fly and lost,ha ha

Had my young bitch out on the lamp last night for her second time and she filled a bag full,of rabbits for me and only missed three rabbits all night ... Would she win a race at her age against these dogs bred for racing ... Not a chance ... Would one of these have filled a bag for me last night ... Probably not ... I know which I would rather in my kennel ......

wrong again i have a dog that would win a race and fill a car boot matter of fact the bitch still doing it,

I take it you drive a convertible :laugh::laugh:

The only thing I am wrong about is that you actually have a brain cell mark .........

she didnt win at the mourne though , after you bigged her up to most people :tongue2:

No cause I was judging. But she did at lurchei world finals and midland. And every game fair and show she attended and caught more rabbits then most dogs and kicked ass on the fens for money. And her pups are doing great. Now we got cousins in pups shall we have a night on the lamp with the old girls and the pups.

No cause I was judging. But she did at lurchei world finals and midland. And every game fair and show she attended and caught more rabbits then most dogs and kicked ass on the fens for money. And her pups are doing great. Now we got cousins in pups shall we have a night on the lamp with the old girls and the pups.

so cause you was judging it made her run slower in the races :laugh: you talk some waffle at times :laugh: