Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

You're right.

I made the statement about the Irish improving British terriers to cause a bit of debate as the terrier board has been quiet lately.

If that is or isn't true is completely down to anyones opinion.

One thing you'll see in my posts is that I keep saying that the Irish dogs are from British dogs anyway.

One thing that is true is that in the 1800s the majority of American dogmen were on the East coast and they were very keen to get their hands on Irish dogs and chickens. But like I say, due to factors such as the Irish famine there was probably more immigrants coming from Ireland than Britain.

Wasn't Galtee an Irish import ?

And isn't Jeep a Colby cross and isn't there probably more Jeep in those dogs than any other stud ?

I'm no expert on Pit Bulls, just have an interest in their history, that's all.

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

The Staff came after the Apbt, the Apbt is basically the same breed that was shipped over the pond when the Irish and English settled there...

Didn't any Scottish go ?

Of course they did...and no doubt took their Game dogs and Game cocks with them...as did the English,Irish,Welsh and Cornish dogmen...its a modern day romantic myth that the APBT originates from dogs that 'mostly' came from Ireland

No romantic ideas at all. It's more or less a fact that the Irish originally got their dogs from the British and the Irish bloodlines were popular with the yanks.

So after the British left their dogs with the Irish the Irish just made them better.

Same as today with terrier lines (patterdales, russe

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it...its an ignorant one...but your entitled to it...its always made me laugh how some of you Irish lads on here (to put it mildly) are prone to exaggeration and story telling...and of course with a tale or two about getting one over the English...but as far as the APBT goes...going by the amount of CH,s and winning dogs we had over here in the 80's/90's...we really dont need the Irish to make anything 'better' for us... :thumbs:

If you know someone , who can give you the records ,,, there was very little difference in amount of Champions from UK and Ireland ,,, but the number of APBTs bred in UK ,,the number of owners in UK ,,was huge ,,,

• Like 1

The Staff came after the Apbt, the Apbt is basically the same breed that was shipped over the pond when the Irish and English settled there...

Didn't any Scottish go ?

Of course they did...and no doubt took their Game dogs and Game cocks with them...as did the English,Irish,Welsh and Cornish dogmen...its a modern day romantic myth that the APBT originates from dogs that 'mostly' came from Ireland

No romantic ideas at all. It's more or less a fact that the Irish originally got their dogs from the British and the Irish bloodlines were popular with the yanks.

So after the British left their dogs with the Irish the Irish just made them better.

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it...its an ignorant one...but your entitled to it...its always made me laugh how some of you Irish lads on here (to put it mildly) are prone to exaggeration and story telling...and of course with a tale or two about getting one over the English...but as far as the APBT goes...going by the amount of CH,s and winning dogs we had over here in the 80's/90's...we really dont need the Irish to make anything 'better' for us... :thumbs:

If you know someone , who can give you the records ,,, there was very little difference in amount of Champions from UK and Ireland ,,, but the number of APBTs bred in UK ,,the number of owners in UK ,,was huge ,,,

No doubt...but i wernt comparing English to Irish...i was simply replying to neil cooneys..."the Irish always make every dog better" comment...but maybe that went over your head with the constant national dick measuring contest some of you Irish boys have going on

Didn't any Scottish go ?

No doubt...but i wernt comparing English to Irish...i was simply replying to neil cooneys..."the Irish always make every dog better" comment...but maybe that went over your head with the constant national dick measuring contest some of you Irish boys have going on

I always thought the reason all dogs went to Ireland from the UK was because they were the only people stupid enough to buy them! They would be a cull in the UK

True ,, nothing but riubbish ever came from England,,,

It don't matter where they came from, they were made in America.

How many years will it take before you Americans claim to have created the Patterdale FFS. Pmsl.

by judicious breeding practices, work and culling they will improve the lines, probably rename them the yankadale, texadale, or maybe the yorkadale. Suggestions on a postcard please.

Didn't any Scottish go ?

It's true, we Irish are a very competitive lot.

Just look at our records in greyhounds, racehorses, boxers and other's etc.

It's not bad for a small country who population is around the same as 1/3 of London's.

• Like 1

Didn't any Scottish go ?

It's not bad for a small country who population is around the same as 1/3 of London's.

Maybe thats because most of the Irish moved over to London!

I've got Irish mates and one of my brothers is married to a Belfast girl...i've drank my fill both sides of the border over the years...i have nothing but respect for Irish sporting men and dogs...as you said yourself...over history the dogs have been two way traffic between our nations...plus you lot are pretty shit at football

• Like 1

I dont think they are any more competetive than any other part of Britain........would you not agree that a lot of the relative success the Irish have had with sporting animals,particularly dogs.......has a lot to do with the freedom they have regards to laws and the open spaces etc compared to somewhere like London ?

• Like 4

I dont think they are any more competetive than any other part of Britain........would you not agree that a lot of the relative success the Irish have had with sporting animals,particularly dogs.......has a lot to do with the freedom they have regards to laws and the open spaces etc compared to somewhere like London ?

Same with America, a lot easier to find the true greats in a line when you can keep a yard of 100 dogs like some of the big names over there. Can't imagine that ever being possible in England.

• Like 2

Didn't any Scottish go ?

I've got Irish mates and one of my brothers is married to a Belfast girl...i've drank my fill both sides of the border over the years...i have nothing but respect for Irish sporting men and dogs...as you said yourself...over history the dogs have been two way traffic between our nations...plus you lot are pretty shit at football

The football you're talking about is what we call soccer. Why do you think we send all our girly boys, shemales etc. over to England and Scotland to join your clubs.

What we call football is the real thing and don't get me started on hurling.

LOL.

Could be, could also be our competitiveness, could be the way we test ourselves and our animals or it could be the limestone in the water.

Believe it or not that last one could be true, particularly regarding Irish horses.

Didn't any Scottish go ?

The football you're talking about is what we call soccer. Why do you think we send all our girly boys, shemales etc. over to England and Scotland to join your clubs.

LOL.

Seen my fair share of Irish girly boys when we had Nigel Worthington as manager...once spent a night in a strip bar with Phil Mulryan and David Healey when we had him on loan...Mulryan became a priest not long after that night (true story)...say what you want about us English...but say we know how to party!...Hell! we even had to invent your national drink for you... :thumbs:

• Like 2

Didn't any Scottish go ?

LOL.

Seen my fair share of Irish girly boys when we had Nigel Worthington as manager...once spent a night in a strip bar with Phil Mulryan and David Healey when we had him on loan...Mulryan became a priest not long after that night (true story)...say what you want about us English...but say we know how to party!...Hell! we even had to invent your national drink for you... :thumbs:

Aye when you invaded our lands, Ye fed us on potatoe skins, but being an ingenious lot, we turned it in to uisce beatha...

• Like 2