Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

I seen him and a few others worked in the 1970s... I always prefared Staffordshires, but seen a lot of very good Wheatens, Bull terriers ware not that popular... as I said unlike the Staffords and Wheatens, there was no strain of working Bull terriers ...

I seen him and a few others worked in the 1970s... I always prefared Staffordshires, but seen a lot of very good Wheatens, Bull terriers ware not that popular... as I said unlike the Staffords and Wheatens, there was no strain of working Bull terriers ...

did any of the ebt boys never mate to any working bitches or was it just the dogs that worked? surely they cant be that bad where only a handful over decades worked that's real waste of time and effort

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred by the same show breeder on the outskirts of Belfast and both certified. I know DH allowed Handy to serve a wheaten bitch for JMcG and the three dogs and one bitch they produced worked well...... at that game......and some were subsequently bred back to wheaten bitches, which is where a lot of the bull influence came in during that era. But I'm unaware of any matings to bull bitches, and I know Tinker was never mated as JM was wise enough to know he was an exception to the rule and was happy to enjoy the dog for what he was. He has always liked the EBT look....I think they're horrible looking, but each to his own!

In those days people would pick up staffs, bull terriers and whippets that didn't make the grade as show dogs for skelpers..... (cheap as chips).....and try them out in the field. Some worked out and more didn't, but it was all we had back then in the limbo between the time when a lot of our bulldogs had been taken to the new world to join the mix that created their pitbul, and the 1935 k.c. recognition of the "original bull terrier".....a name that was lobbied against by the Bull Terrier club, and resulted in the choice of "Staffordshire Bull Terrier" as the new name, because the guys who sought K.C. recognition were Staffordshire men themselves.

All of the so called "working strains" that I have any experience of in the last 45 years were developed off k.c. bred stock....Corks famous staff from the 70's, Geronimo, was a grandson of show ch. Brinstock Gleenagow and was 8 generations down from show ch. Gentleman Jim....as was my own Oscar dog, from the same era but at opposite ends of the island. Until, that is, the 80's when the imports arrived....!

Sorry if I've bored you all and I apologise for diverting the thread somewhat..... :thumbs:

• Like 14

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred by the same show breeder on the outskirts of Belfast and both certified. I know DH allowed Handy to serve a wheaten bitch for JMcG and the three dogs and one bitch they produced worked well...... at that game......and some were subsequently bred back to wheaten bitches, which is where a lot of the bull influence came in during that era. But I'm unaware of any matings to bull bitches, and I know Tinker was never mated as JM was wise enough to know he was an exception to the rule and was happy to enjoy the dog for what he was. He has always liked the EBT look....I think they're horrible looking, but each to his own!

In those days people would pick up staffs, bull terriers and whippets that didn't make the grade as show dogs for skelpers..... (cheap as chips).....and try them out in the field. Some worked out and more didn't, but it was all we had back then in the limbo between the time when a lot of our bulldogs had been taken to the new world to join the mix that created their pitbul, and the 1935 k.c. recognition of the "original bull terrier".....a name that was lobbied against by the Bull Terrier club, and resulted in the choice of "Staffordshire Bull Terrier" as the new name, because the guys who sought K.C. recognition were Staffordshire men themselves.

All of the so called "working strains" that I have any experience of in the last 45 years were developed off k.c. bred stock....Corks famous staff from the 70's, Geronimo, was a grandson of show ch. Brinstock Gleenagow and was 8 generations down from show ch. Gentleman Jim....as was my own Oscar dog, from the same era but at opposite ends of the island. Until, that is, the 80's when the imports arrived....!

Sorry if I've bored you all and I apologise for diverting the thread somewhat..... :thumbs:

do you think the pit bull is the peak of evolution for the bulldogs or do you think they could be improved? such a shame that those ebts were never mated to working ebt bitches. did you ever see any ebt bitches certify

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why there was never any attempt to perpetuate a working strain. The late Christy McC from Cork had some half staff x bulls that did well. Princess being one I remember.

Pitbuls will only be able to improve, like any other domestic animal, if they can be selected according to performance....in other words if winning bitches get access to winning dogs. Alas, in this country and even in urban areas in the U.S. this has become ever more difficult due to strangulating legislation that makes a mockery of the once heralded term..."Its a free country".....because it no longer is!

• Like 8

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why there was never any attempt to perpetuate a working strain. The late Christy McC from Cork had some half staff x bulls that did well. Princess being one I remember.

Pitbuls will only be able to improve, like any other domestic animal, if they can be selected according to performance....in other words if winning bitches get access to winning dogs. Alas, in this country and even in urban areas in the U.S. this has become ever more difficult due to strangulating legislation that makes a mockery of the once heralded term..."Its a free country".....because it no longer is!

that's true freedom only for the pc doo gooders. suppose by adding the correct bull blood to the ebts they could get a handy strain going. the only one I saw working suffered green eyes for a week after doing his job from the muck in his eyes, no matter how much ya cleaned them they were always prone to going green.

We once gave the service of a top class staff to a mate of ours who had a white bull for bushing,she had four pups,the pups stayed local we tried everyone of them when they were old enough they nearly lifted the shore barking. LOL.I seen a few Kerrys tried they were worse than the EBT.

Edited by liamdelaney
  • Like 4

Great pix Carlovian....just shows how age dims the memory....I thought it was Christy who owned Princess. I remember Blondy for a whole other reason. While all the other trailers were full of dogs....Blondy's was full bottles of the sweetest potien I ever tasted! His Glen of Imaal travelled in the boot of the car! :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

• Like 5