How Safe Is Your Coursing Dogs With Sheep?? (Ireland)

Tha'ts another thing i use to find in the passed, dogs that killed deer on a regular basis, tended to go for sheep more, i think regular updates on stock breaking to sheep is a must., in situations like that. :thumbs:

That's an utter pile of shite....can't have been 100% with sheep in the first place.... :icon_redface:

• Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why anyone would have a dog in there kennels that tackles sheep i do not understand ive spent year building up permission building bonds with farmer why would you risk that there should be a law in

Dont course near sheep simple. no farmer or his sheep would be happy with a dog coursing through the middle of them. The sheep see something fast moving coming towards them the natural instinct is fli

If your dog ain't stock trained where i live you ain't going to let it off the lead, train them young enough and they know.  

I can have him freerunning around stock and hes fine but then he will get a notion in his head to upset them and chase them around the field a couple of laps. Doesnt matter how many times I walk past them on the lead he ignores them when under close control he takes the piss altogether if someone else is handling him instead of me. his recall otherwise is fairly good

Just couldn't be arsed with a dog like that....would do my head in....20 months and still unpredictable with stock...you've basically failed there eh??? :icon_redface:

Never had a problem breaking any of mine to stock...how hard can it be to break dogs to sheep and other farm animals...maybe the clue is in the title of the OP's thread and maybe it's an Irish thing.....beyond me... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

I can have him freerunning around stock and hes fine but then he will get a notion in his head to upset them and chase them around the field a couple of laps. Doesnt matter how many times I walk past them on the lead he ignores them when under close control he takes the piss altogether if someone else is handling him instead of me. his recall otherwise is fairly good

Just couldn't be arsed with a dog like that....would do my head in....20 months and still unpredictable with stock...you've basically failed there eh??? :icon_redface:

Never had a problem breaking any of mine to stock...how hard can it be to break dogs to sheep and other farm animals...maybe the clue is in the title of the OP's thread and maybe it's an Irish thing.....beyond me... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Hes been around stock since 8wks... Another dog taught him some bad habits and once he picks up a bad habit it takes forever to undo... I will get there with him.. Perhaps you just give up too easily when you run into a problem with a dog

Never had a problem breaking any of mine to stock...how hard can it be to break dogs to sheep and other farm animals...maybe the clue is in the title of the OP's thread and maybe it's an Irish thing.....beyond me... :hmm::hmm: * :hmm:

Hes been around stock since 8wks... Another dog taught him some bad habits and once he picks up a bad habit it takes forever to undo... I will get there with him.. Perhaps you just give up too easily when you run into a problem with a dog

Give up too easily...ha ha that's brilliant..... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Had 11 lurchers/running dogs in 35 years and all but one (in 1980) have ended their days with me so your assertion that perhaps I give up too easily is frankly pure shite....some folk go through 11 in a f*****g season

Yep, they've ranged between top class and mediocre and all have had their wee quirks and foibles....which I have learned to live with.....

So, once again on this thread I have an opinion (this time that you've failed your dog) and someone decides to bestow me with shortcomings I had no idea I had....or send me half-witted PM's and suggest that the replies are abusive..... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Kick on....get the shock collar and electrocute the f*****g thing......

Think its bullshit about if they take deer they will chase sheep never had a problem

Well mate.....I agree 100% with you on that....but it appears the OP - who is entitled to his opinion - reckons we'll have done feck all...caught no great numbers of deer and certainly ain't a tenth of the dog man he is.....seems the sign of a good dog man in Ireland is to own a mutton munching liability...... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

why anyone would have a dog in there kennels that tackles sheep i do not understand ive spent year building up permission building bonds with farmer why would you

risk that

there should be a law in place where all dogs pet dogs aswell have to be stock trained as only to often you read in the local paper about this type of thing

robert

• Like 4

wouldnt own a stock worrier it would be pts ...

both the dogs here have been around sheep since pups and have ran through sheep and been in the same field when sheep have took off... same with cows , heck a herd of cows chased my dog up the field one night on the lamp first time ive seen him jump a hedge without a thought :laugh:

• Like 1

why anyone would have a dog in there kennels that tackles sheep i do not understand ive spent year building up permission building bonds with farmer why would you

risk that

there should be a law in place where all dogs pet dogs aswell have to be stock trained as only to often you read in the local paper about this type of thing

robert

both the dogs here have been around sheep since pups and have ran through sheep and been in the same field when sheep have took off... same with cows , heck a herd of cows chased my dog up the field one night on the lamp first time ive seen him jump a hedge without a thought :laugh:

Spot on lads. Its also good i think to keep up the stock breaking on a regular basis, so they don't forget, a few short reminders works well i find. :thumbs:

risk that

robert

Spot on lads. Its also good i think to keep up the stock breaking on a regular basis, so they don't forget, a few short reminders works well i find. :thumbs:

my dogs see horses, cows and sheep daily ... they dont have the chance to forget :thumbs:

• Like 1