Collie Greyhound Pup Stopped Retrieving

My 9month old pup has stopped retrieving at the beginning I was just giving her 2/3 retrieves every other night or so using different objects,she would bring them back no problem then almost overnight all she does now is run round me with whatever I have thrown so I tried her down an alley again straight back to me, however as soon as she gets into the field she is back to running around me, any one any info or tips? Cheers Neil b

Hard question to be honest mate I think the main thing to do is keep calm,with my older dog she never got the hang of retrieving until I done more than 3 retrieves just continuous with the tennis ball but not so she got bored the other thing I done with her which help is short retrieves so I would throw the tennis ball to her through the air close by and then she just pass it back just a few suggestions,now I find retrieving one of the hardest things to get bang on with a rabbit and the best retrievers I've seen have been the natural ones where the lads who had them didn't do anything retrieving wise lucky feckers ,keep going with her and keep her interested dont bore her with to many and try not to make it to much of an issue and I'm sure you will get there good luck.

Have you had it rabbits ?? some dogs wont chases balls after the real thing...

2 of my dogs would not really fetch balls however where live to hand with rabbits..

I know which I would prefer...

2 of my dogs would not really fetch balls however where live to hand with rabbits..

It's 9 months old and if it is starting off on a rebellious streak...the last thing it needs to see is rabbits...

It got 2/3 retrieves each time he had it out...that's not enough for it to start losing interest...especially a collie x grey...they tend to become obsessive and would be the last type to lose interest...

Showing it rabbits now could risk recall and other basic obedience...

I'd forget the retrieve at the minute and I would concentrate on all the other stuff the pup is good at....and don't take it as a failure on your part... :thumbs:

• Like 4

Have you had any incident with her while she was in your space , may be something small but the canine mind will always look for the negative and something to associate it with , could even be confronting for jumping up or similar

Get the pup making plenty of contact with you standing in other area's , what that means is that dogs can have a physical memory of a confrontation with you standing staring at them , it unsettles them whereas as when we crouch down the dog is more likely to come quicker because it is a less physically imposing pose for the dog to deal with also it's a less likely pose to have disciplined the dog in , it changes how the dog preceives us , it feels safer for the mutt

Best of luck

It's 9 months old and if it is starting off on a rebellious streak...the last thing it needs to see is rabbits...

It got 2/3 retrieves each time he had it out...that's not enough for it to start losing interest...especially a collie x grey...they tend to become obsessive and would be the last type to lose interest...

Showing it rabbits now could risk recall and other basic obedience...

I'd forget the retrieve at the minute and I would concentrate on all the other stuff the pup is good at....and don't take it as a failure on your part... :thumbs:

Where in there did I suggest showing it rabbits ??

Merely asked, this is the THL folk start dogs of at 6 months old ?? Not my thing but each to their own..

The point I was making its nothing to worrie about its only a bloody ball :thumbs:

When she comes back with the object and gives you the run around don't try snatching it off her. Ignore her and walk away in the opposite direction, she will follow, it may take you a few turns, directions but she will give it up to hand when she realises its your terms only. Plenty praise when she does tho. Just my wee tuppence worth and as said don't over do it, good luck.

lots of good advice on here, i would just say dont panic, dont get mad or cross with the dog. one thing i have found useful is firstly go to an area where there are no distractions (other dogs, people, rabbits, livestock - a tennis court is ideal ) and when the dog has the ball or whatever in its mouth just turn your back and sit down. the dog will normally come to you. if not, just make nice noises at it to keep it interested and even get up then down again, to get its attention. when it comes, do not try to take the ball, just put your hand out and wait for the dog to put it in your hand. sooner or later it will do so, and then you must do your best to make the dog happy that it has done so, excited praise, stroking, etc while you hold the ball and the dog still has it in its mouth. when the dog chooses to let go, throw the ball straight away as a great reward. the reward for bringing it back must outway the desire to run around with it, so pull out all the stops, and finishs the game while the dog is still excited. good luck, let us know how you get on.

plenty of decent advice so far mate, collie x's can think that they can out think you so it pays to try and stay a step ahead, plenty of patience will pay off, if it were my pup i'd forget about retrieving for a week or three and be making up some other games to keep the interest, obedience and bond going, what about trying a chase / find me game start off easy and work up to hiding in the woods making the pup want to be with you, i'd also be teaching the 'hold' command at home or in the garden plenty of praise and one to one with the boss so that your reinforcing the authority that the pup is questioning / challenging but in a controlled environment, but patience and staying cool will pay off atb

• Like 1

My collie cross did the same thing as said its hit the teenage rebellious stage I just kept on with her and didint push the retrieving and she soon came back to it then 1 day she run into a field and got hold of a woody resulting in a mouth full of feathers wouldn't retrieve any thing for a while then it came back to her and never looked back.