Hard Hares.................soft Hares

anybody find any difference in hares in different parts of the country running harder than others.one of the spots we run on they seem stronger than others .or is this because these particular hares are getting run regular,or should a good dog kill them anywhere.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anywhere they get ran regular there will be a better class of hare if you hammer a spot all winter what you should be left with come breeding time is the best hares survival of the fittest

Some years ago we went on an estate which was stricktly keepered as was all the surrounding area. Very few people got on here to run hares. When we ran nearly every hare was killed and the keeper ca

Hyde park

A good fen dog will get pissed all over on small fields. But if you keep runnin em on it I'm sure theyd adapt to it. Every hare is different like every person is.

Couldn't of ran many hares on both field and fen with those comments. Absolute balls, yes some types run faster then others but location doesn't really make the dog. I'd expect it to kill everywhere I took it
  • Like 1

A good fen dog will get pissed all over on small fields. But if you keep runnin em on it I'm sure theyd adapt to it. Every hare is different like every person is.

Couldn't of ran many hares on both field and fen with those comments. Absolute balls, yes some types run faster then others but location doesn't really make the dog. I'd expect it to kill everywhere I took it
I might not have ran as much hare as some but round here a big saluki fen dog would struggle on small pissy fields where they Don't have time to get in there stride.

I might not have ran as much hare as some but round here a big saluki fen dog would struggle on small pissy fields where they Don't have time to get in there stride.

i got a big numb fen dog 70lb 27"..big old head on it like a bucket.....

• Like 1

Some years ago we went on an estate which was stricktly keepered as was all the surrounding area.

Very few people got on here to run hares.

When we ran nearly every hare was killed and the keeper called a halt as he was so concerned at the sheer number being caught.Dogs which caught very few hares anywhere else including my own caught hares.

This land was heavily covered and small fields which made it even more suprising.

The hares were poor in my opinion due to not being run and no selective breeding.

At the opposite extreme a friend had some permision which was dogged to death with roads running through it.

There was a very small hare count but what was there had to be good to survive and breed on.Some of the runs on this land were amazing and every hare had to be killed.

My friend had an excellent single handed hare dog which killed hares every where but on this land are hare lifted from a seat one day and just left the dog something I never saw before or after with the dog.I will never forget that day what an animal.

• Like 2

what i was trying to ilustrate is the difference in hare quality that you see where hares are run regularily which leads to selective breeding and survival of the fittest which was obviously not the case on the keepered estate.

I thaught that was the original question do hares vary in quality in different areas.

I dont realy understand your statement.

• Like 1