The Lad Starts His River Career With A Bang!!

It was Fins first trip to the tidal, his first run through with the stick, me stood behind, the float dips, "strike" I say and as he lifts the rod it's nearly pulled out of his hand. "DADDD DADDDD my arm"... 10 mins later and with a little help he's put his first mullet on the bank :toast:

He wasn't finished though, I managed 1 and then he asked if he could have a go on my rod, sits himself down and bang the tip goes round ( top of the tide so hard to fish the float), the lines ripped from the reel again... and this time with a little help he puts a cracking mullet on the bank, no scales but I'd guess around 5lb.

What a start to his time on the river a good few dace and a little chub plus the mullet... you never know whats coming next on this bit of river... :thumbs:

IMG_0854_zps589fecd5.jpg

IMG_08582_zpsc059402a.jpg

IMG_08592_zps762c511b.jpg

IMG_0862_zps9b65d6fb.jpg

• Like 13

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was Fins first trip to the tidal, his first run through with the stick, me stood behind, the float dips, "strike" I say and as he lifts the rod it's nearly pulled out of his hand. "DADDD DADDDD my

Cheers lads,   I was made up for him Johnny, he still buzzing now lol... I'm having some plastering work done at home, when I popped in this morning Fin was telling the plasterer ( whos a keen sea a

This is looking down the river towards where I grew up, just the other side of the bridge   If I get the chance to put a charity comp on it'll be on this stretch

Nice to see mate, not into fishing are they edible?

They are mate, but they get very earthy when they're this far up the river ( I've taken them as a lad but they're not worth killing)... if you catch them in the sea they aint bad at all though.... these all went back after a quick pic

• Like 1

Bobby, yeah they're frustrating b*****ds, I grew up right behind the river ( on the council estate not in the beauties in the background lol) we used to fish for them as lads used to drive you mad, you could see thousands of them but couldn't hook them, and when you did you'd rarely land them lol..

I lost one on Sunday they're first run is crazy, I don't think there's another fish in freshwater that takes off like them...

Ant:

It's a cracking stretch I grew up fishing it, a mate of mine has brought one of those places on the far bank, all run down, he's spending a fair bit putting it right, but it will be a lovely place when it's finished..

• Like 1

This is looking down the river towards where I grew up, just the other side of the bridge :thumbs:

If I get the chance to put a charity comp on it'll be on this stretch

IMG_0848_zps2a992280.jpg

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2

Well done young Fin, bet you were both buzzing Kev.

Used to go fishing for mullet on the ogmore estuary, never landed a bugger though. :D Caught a few around the harbours though on a bit of bread but never on the river.

• Like 1

Well done Fin, bet you're proud as hell Kev! :D :good; Like others have said, not the easiest of fish to catch and some crackers there too! :good:

My 11 year old daughter caught her first fish on saturday, foul hooked a small pollack in the arse with the feathers! :laugh:

Cheers lads,

I was made up for him Johnny, he still buzzing now lol... I'm having some plastering work done at home, when I popped in this morning Fin was telling the plasterer ( whos a keen sea angler) how he showed his Dad how to strike properly lol, when he hooked that first one his face was a picture, he said he thought his arm was going to be pulled off lol

That's it now though, if he wasn't already, he is officially hooked on fishing now lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 5

Well done Fin, bet you're proud as hell Kev! :D :good; Like others have said, not the easiest of fish to catch and some crackers there too! :good:

My 11 year old daughter caught her first fish on saturday, foul hooked a small pollack in the arse with the feathers! :laugh:

Nice one Malt well done to your girl, my little girl likes it as well, but it's too difficult fishing down there to take them both..

My girls 5 and she prefers coming ferreting and the boy prefers fishing.. It's all going according to plan lol

Apart from my eldest girl who likes hair, nails and shopping lol

Yeah my 10 year old boy loves it too, but it's a nightmare taking them both at the same time! :laugh: My daughter is a proper girlie girl too at times, hair & nails, etc, but she loves a bit of fishing and rabbiting as well. She wouldn't blink if I asked her to gut a fish or a rabbit, she'd be straight in there! :laugh: She wants to be a forensic pathologist when she grows up, she's got a huge interest in the insides of things!

Yeah my 10 year old boy loves it too, but it's a nightmare taking them both at the same time! :laugh: My daughter is a proper girlie girl too at times, hair & nails, etc, but she loves a bit of fishing and rabbiting as well. She wouldn't blink if I asked her to gut a fish or a rabbit, she'd be straight in there! :laugh: She wants to be a forensic pathologist when she grows up, she's got a huge interest in the insides of things!

:laugh: A forensic pathologist, what a thought out career choice,

My youngest girls the same, in that she is not squirmish at all and seems to have a real understanding of life and death... we lost a ferret earlier this year and Fin was in bits but Isla turned round and said " everythings got to die Fin" she was upset but dealt with it with no fuss.. it's funny how they're all a bit different.

• Like 2