A Bit Of Advice Wanted

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The risk of mammary cancer is greatly reduced if the bitch is spayed before her first season: also, she can't get a pyometra (uterine infection) if she has been spayed as the uterus is no longer there

Make it real easy and way cheaper. Just go get your dog cut and or do it yourself. If ya want to get your gyp spayed later on then you can do that to. More folks should have their dogs fixed to be

have another male pup mate, the most easy way aint it, when you bring him home your mrs will soon take to him. Ive kept dogs+ bitches over the years and was ok, but being honest its eaiser with same

My vets tells me that if you spay your bitch before her first season it cuts out her getting some sort of cancer(can't think of the type of cancer). She always suggests to do it before they come in, although if you stood long enough she'd have you snipped, mad for the chop!!!!

Do you mean pyometra?

My vets tells me that if you spay your bitch before her first season it cuts out her getting some sort of cancer(can't think of the type of cancer). She always suggests to do it before they come in, although if you stood long enough she'd have you snipped, mad for the chop!!!!

dogs rarely get cancer though, so is a silly arguement. I think every top working dog deserves a litter. Its whats natural.

Ive got sort of the same problem ive just a pup and shes 12 weeks today but i also.have a patterdale which is about 2 years old now and hasnt has the snip but i keep the pair of em in my house and my.mum wants to get the bitch done cause of the mess and ill have nightmare keeping the terrier away from her but ive been told sometimes when.you.get s bitch done the.loss a spark to em like for working soo i thought id ask you guys what you think.on this

Mate if in doubt just wait, I'm sure your dog will survive having a bitch is season mine do, then when you think she's mature go get her done, that way you've no doubt in your mind that nothing will go wrong and your dog will just need to hump a teddy

Mate if in doubt just wait, I'm sure your dog will survive having a bitch is season mine do, then when you think she's mature go get her done, that way you've no doubt in your mind that nothing will go wrong and your dog will just need to hump a teddy

It'll have to be a fookin big teddy, he's 26" and 70lb plus :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm leaning toward just getting another dog now after reading these replies.

The risk of mammary cancer is greatly reduced if the bitch is spayed before her first season: also, she can't get a pyometra (uterine infection) if she has been spayed as the uterus is no longer there!

Only had one case of mammary cancer in over 40 years of keeping bitches. It often starts after a season as it is hormonally driven. Spaying after first season allows the bitch to mature properly but still cuts the risk of cancer by over 90%, or so I've read.

Millet: why shouldn't a non hunter be on here? Maybe some people like to hear about how our hunting dogs are going, what they do, what sort they are, all without wanting or being able to hunt themselves. I love watching base jumping vids and reading about the crazy things these guys get up to, but you wouldn't catch me doing it myself!

• Like 2

It mad chop a lad balls off at 7 he wont grow a mans dick, reduce muscle mass. Weak muscle/tendon wont go threw puberty prop. All umpt of prob yet spay a dog before full devel and there no probs. dnt make sense there still no long term risk on dog development been tested. Yeah may reduce cancer risk but at wat cost of the development of dog. My uncle spay a dog earlie while back n it tore it graticule muscle at 10 month cud b no relation or cud b helpin cause.

It'll have to be a fookin big teddy, he's 26" and 70lb plus :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm leaning toward just getting another dog now after reading these replies.

i really would mate, like i said on my thread.You (wont) have a prob bringing in a male pup , the older male will be ok with it, they will become mates. Same as my to males Bryn 6 in sep, Buck 10 month old they get on great. Even though Buck alot bigger than Bryn, if a strange male dog went up to Buck , Bryn would have ago at the other dog. you can work them both all year , not like bitches. Ok if (you) really want a bitch ,well like been said.But (why) all the extra hassle, take a dog pup home, your mrs will love it.Mine did , its only now because Buck is feckin big put's the mrs off :laugh:

dogs rarely get cancer though, so is a silly arguement. I think every top working dog deserves a litter. Its whats natural.

Here's something for you..when we where kid's we had a staffie bitch.. in the late 70's she died from a mammary tumor we also had a collie mongrel she died in the late 80's from a mammary tumour that went to her brain.. i lost a terrier bitch around 5yr's ago at 8 yr old after countless operation's to remove mammary tumour's after it spread to her brain..my brother had a staffie x sharpei put to sleep at the beggining of the year..but prior to that she had a opperation for a womb infection and also a big mammary tumour..which finaly spread to it's brain yet again..

If it was me, an I was all heart set on a bitch and I knew there 'would' be problems at home.... I'd look to getting the dog done in the first instance.

Ask yourself.... New bitch, always wanted one of this type... best blood i could get, best training all my time/effort, dead excited at the prospect.... Should (all things being well) be sommat to be proud of... Now, does that dog measure up, is he that good that i'd save him for breeding and forsake her...?? No...! Well get him done and all will be well.... :yes:

If it was me, an I was all heart set on a bitch and I knew there 'would' be problems at home.... I'd look to getting the dog done in the first instance.

Ask yourself.... New bitch, always wanted one of this type... best blood i could get, best training all my time/effort, dead excited at the prospect.... Should (all things being well) be sommat to be proud of... Now, does that dog measure up, is he that good that i'd save him for breeding and forsake her...?? No...! Well get him done and all will be well.... :yes:

To be honest I've no real preference but I want to have everything sorted in my mind well before I look for a new pup because I would never get rid of a dog I owned.

I'll be 60 in the new year and horrible as it sounds this will probably be my last working dog because 43 years in the building trade is catching up fast with me and I reckon I'll be fooked by the time I'm 70.

As far as my mutt goes, no he'd never be considered a great dog but as a first lurcher with all the mistakes I've made over the last few years with him he's turned out as well as I could have asked and better than a some I've seen.

I think your right as far as getting him done anyway goes, but I will still have the bitch done if I get one because I wouldn't want one in season in the house every 12 months, but I could let her have a 1st season before spaying.

Here's something for you..when we where kid's we had a staffie bitch.. in the late 70's she died from a mammary tumor we also had a collie mongrel she died in the late 80's from a mammary tumour that went to her brain.. i lost a terrier bitch around 5yr's ago at 8 yr old after countless operation's to remove mammary tumour's after it spread to her brain..my brother had a staffie x sharpei put to sleep at the beggining of the year..but prior to that she had a opperation for a womb infection and also a big mammary tumour..which finaly spread to it's brain yet again..
ive had many dogs and non have had cancer. I feed em well and it works for me. Your either unlucky or not treating em right. Like i said not many dogs get cancer.