Catapults

them barnetts are alright same as the blackwidows but you change to thera band in the long run as for ammo i use 9.5 bbs but people will differ

Cheers pip. I seen 8mm on amazon, they too small

do you want the link for the 9.5 mm 3000 for £38.00 plus pp well worth it they last for ages as you only take a handfull out and what you dont use goes back in :thumbs:

Aye go on mate, take me 3000 shots to hit something lol. Typical, £12 odd to buy the catapult and £38 for f*****g amo :D

http://www.ebay.co.u...90#ht_500wt_949 :thumbs:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe the reason you couldnt hit anything is because that is actually a television aerial !...................You want a catapult Lab

im not sure if your on the wind up....again   but black widows are shiite

All I'm trying to do at the end of the day is make sure that people are furnished with the truth and not misinformed. Some youngster just starting out may believe your comments about the Black Widow a

Posted Images

them barnetts are alright same as the blackwidows but you change to thera band in the long run as for ammo i use 9.5 bbs but people will differ

Cheers pip. I seen 8mm on amazon, they too small

do you want the link for the 9.5 mm 3000 for £38.00 plus pp well worth it they last for ages as you only take a handfull out and what you dont use goes back in :thumbs:
Aye go on mate, take me 3000 shots to hit something lol. Typical, £12 odd to buy the catapult and £38 for f*****g amo :D

http://www.ebay.co.u...90#ht_500wt_949 :thumbs:

Cheers mate :thumbs:

b0e3053c.jpg

Barnett tubes can be used for hunting assuming you keep the ranges sensible. They prefer 9.5mm steel balls in my experience. The bunny in the photo was taken at 12 yards with a steel ball and a headshot. Although this isn't a Barnett Black Widow, its essentially the same style and shooting differences would only be noticed by an experienced tube shooter.

The Barnett Black Widow is an iconic piece of catapult history. Most people know of them, even if they haven't owned one. Mention them in a pub and you'll hear ridiculous stories of them bringing down geese in flight and shooting a ball through the engine of a bus. The Black Widow has got more people into catapulting and possibly shooting than anything else. Learn to shoot one properly and they are accurate enough to take game up to rabbit size with head shots.

I prefer the Diablo or the Wristrocket in the above photo because the wider forks are far more accurate for me.

Darcey's book won't be out any time soon. If its properly researched he should contact the countries top catapult hunters and shooters, I haven't received any correspondence from him yet so I can only assume that he hasn't started his research.

:laugh: now your talking. The rest of you f**k off, kranky a my man in the know :laugh: right kranky, the instructions say hold it sideways and use the top errr leg lol to aim, that true?

LOL!!! Yes, with a Barnett type you hold them side on to the target, make sure that the ball is in the dead centre of the pouch and the pouch is folded perfectly in half, draw the pouch back to your face and anchor it either under your eye or to the corner of your mouth, make sure that the catty remains square to the target (i.e. don't let the force of pulling the bands back cause the frame to twist in your hand) align the top of the fork tip with the target and let the pouch go. Adjust where you put the fork tip depending on where you hit on the target. Different anchor points on your face will affect the point of impact. Ensuring that the pouch is folded exactly in half and the ball is centred plays a big part in ensuring accuracy. A consistent hold and draw are needed. It's very similar to archery in technique. Which ever is your dominant hand should be used to pull the bands back, so a right handed shooter should hold the catapult frame in their left hand.

A Black Widow is a good starting point and don't let anyone tell you different.

• Like 1
Guest foxpack

See if you were caught say for argument sake hare coursing :laugh: could you say you hit the hare with the catapult and the dogs retrieved it or do you think that wouldn't wash :D

there is a warrener dvd out with the stanley boys on ,they drive round a field popping at hares with cattys ,they hit a couple that get up and run injured ,send 2 dogs out for a 2 1/2 minute retrieve..lol

b0e3053c.jpg

Barnett tubes can be used for hunting assuming you keep the ranges sensible. They prefer 9.5mm steel balls in my experience. The bunny in the photo was taken at 12 yards with a steel ball and a headshot. Although this isn't a Barnett Black Widow, its essentially the same style and shooting differences would only be noticed by an experienced tube shooter.

The Barnett Black Widow is an iconic piece of catapult history. Most people know of them, even if they haven't owned one. Mention them in a pub and you'll hear ridiculous stories of them bringing down geese in flight and shooting a ball through the engine of a bus. The Black Widow has got more people into catapulting and possibly shooting than anything else. Learn to shoot one properly and they are accurate enough to take game up to rabbit size with head shots.

I prefer the Diablo or the Wristrocket in the above photo because the wider forks are far more accurate for me.

Darcey's book won't be out any time soon. If its properly researched he should contact the countries top catapult hunters and shooters, I haven't received any correspondence from him yet so I can only assume that he hasn't started his research.

:laugh: now your talking. The rest of you f**k off, kranky a my man in the know :laugh: right kranky, the instructions say hold it sideways and use the top errr leg lol to aim, that true?

LOL!!! Yes, with a Barnett type you hold them side on to the target, make sure that the ball is in the dead centre of the pouch and the pouch is folded perfectly in half, draw the pouch back to your face and anchor it either under your eye or to the corner of your mouth, make sure that the catty remains square to the target (i.e. don't let the force of pulling the bands back cause the frame to twist in your hand) align the top of the fork tip with the target and let the pouch go. Adjust where you put the fork tip depending on where you hit on the target. Different anchor points on your face will affect the point of impact. Ensuring that the pouch is folded exactly in half and the ball is centred plays a big part in ensuring accuracy. A consistent hold and draw are needed. It's very similar to archery in technique. Which ever is your dominant hand should be used to pull the bands back, so a right handed shooter should hold the catapult frame in their left hand.

You reading this BPR ya fanny :laugh:

Cheers kranky for that most helpful. I was using my strong hand to hold the catapult as that was the instinctive thing to do. I'll give it a try when I'm finished let you know how I get on. Always fancied one, played with them when younger but that was it. If I get hooked ill see about something more serious :thumbs:

Very interesting.....just out of interest Kranky,realistically how accurate would you yourself expect to be on a target from say 30 feet ? within what a few inches ? 6 inches ?.....say if you averaged it out over 10 shots ?

I had a go with one abroad last month and was absolutely f****n useless i couldnt get within a few feet :icon_redface: ......I dont like things getting the better of me but no matter how hard i tried i just couldnt get to grips with it :censored: yet the technique i used was pretty much what you described.

I'm telling you now....leave they f*****g pheasants alone Baw........ :censored::censored::laugh:

Honestly mate, I'm that bad I couldn't hit your labs arse :laugh: once I get the swing of it though, pheasants def on the menu lol

b0e3053c.jpg

Cheers kranky for that most helpful. I was using my strong hand to hold the catapult as that was the instinctive thing to do. I'll give it a try when I'm finished let you know how I get on. Always fancied one, played with them when younger but that was it. If I get hooked ill see about something more serious :thumbs:

That's interesting. Not saying it's right or wrong, but in archery you use the weak hand to hold the bow.

Very interesting.....just out of interest Kranky,realistically how accurate would you yourself expect to be on a target from say 30 feet ? within what a few inches ? 6 inches ?.....say if you averaged it out over 10 shots ?

I had a go with one abroad last month and was absolutely f****n useless i couldnt get within a few feet :icon_redface: ......I dont like things getting the better of me but no matter how hard i tried i just couldnt get to grips with it :censored: yet the technique i used was pretty much what you described.

I'm the same gnash, couldn't hit worth a monkeys. Gonna try with weaker hand on the catapult. Dunno what difference it will make but hey ho

b0e3053c.jpg

That's interesting. Not saying it's right or wrong, but in archery you use the weak hand to hold the bow.

Never knew that either. Prob why I'm shit at that too :laugh:

I had one years ago but could never get the ball bearings for it( never looked that hard to be fair)......it had arms coming of it all ways with weights on it and a big sight.... :laugh: Could still hit stuff with roundish stones. Would have loved to see what i could hit with proper ammo.... :thumbs:

See if you were caught say for argument sake hare coursing :laugh: could you say you hit the hare with the catapult and the dogs retrieved it or do you think that wouldn't wash :D

there is a warrener dvd out with the stanley boys on ,they drive round a field popping at hares with cattys ,they hit a couple that get up and run injured ,send 2 dogs out for a 2 1/2 minute retrieve..lol

You see, method in the madness old china. f**k feeding a buzzard when a catty in the pocket does the same trick lol

I had one years ago but could never get the ball bearings for it( never looked that hard to be fair)......it had arms coming of it all ways with weights on it and a big sight.... :laugh: Could still hit stuff with roundish stones. Would have loved to see what i could hit with proper ammo.... :thumbs:

You sure that wasn't a long bow you blind c**t :laugh: