Pics Of My Mut Before Her 6 Mile Run Behind The Car And A Few From The Other Day Cheers

moocher is this your first season or have you got other dogs

No mate iv had two before this one was a yapper so went to cats and dogs home as I couldn't sell him if I wasn't happy with it other one spewed on teeth brought them both through to nearly 3 give them both a fair chance to try to see if they would change so here I am again not happy about it either lol

Is this common practice, using 'cat and dog homes' to get rid of dogs thst fail to meet our high standards? in MY OPINION this is wrong on several levels and very poor practice.very poor.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the weather is like it is here. . . . . . it'd kill my dogs, and i'd like to think they are fit.   Edited to add - just seen you say it's early morning. It was still bloody hot here at 8am.   J

70 next birthday pal, out daily with my dog, summer n winter, shes a working dog, and i give her the work

It is great to read how proud and pleased that you are, with your new pal,...and I'm sure we all wish you well, for the future.   However,...it is a fact,. that lurchermen,...as a type,.. ....real

If you compare a pup to kids as they were before most became couch potatoes with techno gadgets: we were out most of the day in the holidays, walking, running, building dams in streams, climbing etc etc. Kids lucky enough to live in places where roads etc weren't a danger would be out non stop: come home to eat and sleep. At 10 years old I had to walk 3 miles to school and back every day ... unless it was tipping down.

Today things have got so complicated with dogs: like you say satan, so much conflicting advice on here. My mutts have a huge garden to play in: the young ones are usually messing about, digging holes, chasing each other, sometimes for hours: God knows what they get up to when I'm at work :laugh: Then they get out on a walk when I get home, for about an hour or so. Thing is though, they are doing what is natural for them. I don't formally bike them until they are a year old, but they get so much exercise just being dogs. Yes, they start hunting at around 5 months of age out on our mooches: working cover, stalking rabbits, but I don't live in an area where the game would keep running and running for miles, so the chances of them doing too much are remote.

I think that when people advise caution, it is more to stop inexperienced owners putting their pups on game that they are not physically or mentally mature enough to cope with. It is one thing for a pup to learn to stalk and catch rabbits with plenty of cover around, so the pup learns tactics rather than out and out running and running with no result, and quite another to slip a 6 month old pup on a hare or something bigger that it has not much chance of catching.

I know that there are some very early starters in the dog world, but most pups wouldn't be ready for some game at an early age. The trick is knowing your pup and what to do with it, and that is only something that comes with a lot of experience in the dog game. Better to err on the side of caution if you're not sure, and whilst I agree with Socks about early conditioning, someone like him knows exactly what his pup is capable of, and when to give it a rest: not everyone is so knowledgeable: walking for miles with a 4 month old pup straining on the lead like a lunatic wouldn't do its joints any good at all: I've seen terrible legs and feet as a result of that. Physical conditioning should go hand in hand with other types of training: mental, not just the physical.

• Like 3

I have always conditioned my dogs from when they were pups ... As they grow they get extra miles more swimming more hill work etc ... A dog that's over a year old before conditioning starts has lost out on around 7 months of fitness the harder a pup is pushed within its capabilities the fitter stronger and more robust its going to be as an adult .... By putting the extra miles into my youngster now I am growing her lungs and heart along with the muscle tendons sinues etc .... When she is fully grown you have lost the window of opportunity ... Yes you can obviously get them fitter and in better shape but only to a certain level .... Look at the Russian and Chinese athletes that start their training when they are two or three years old they develop far stronger fitter bodies than the hold back a bit British athletes ...........

As for feeding my youngster gets what she wants for her main meal she is on around a pound and a half of raw meat with some pasta veg and brown bread and she has a tin of sardines in the morning ...........image-37.jpg

Interesting stuff.

Socks how much exercise do your pups get from very young (3 months onwards) out of interest?

So much conflicting advice out there, my current 4 month old pup is out messing around in the garden most of the day, then on a couple of 20 min stroll's on the lead per day, bit running with other dogs when she gets the chance.

Know I should be patient but would love to have her out for a bit longer, but paranoid about doing too much

I think your doing the right thing I think a hour out with the pup wouldn't hurt you can see when it's had enough I started mine walking long distance 6 or 7 months then I started to run mine behind the car at 9 months and she comin up to ten months so only up the distance when she turn 9 months atb jmo

moocher is this your first season or have you got other dogs

No mate iv had two before this one was a yapper so went to cats and dogs home as I couldn't sell him if I wasn't happy with it other one spewed on teeth brought them both through to nearly 3 give them both a fair chance to try to see if they would change so here I am again not happy about it either lol

Is this common practice, using 'cat and dog homes' to get rid of dogs thst fail to meet our high standards? in MY OPINION this is wrong on several levels and very poor practice.very poor.

Foster j you don't know what you talking about I kept my two old dogs till they were three years old the one that went to cats and dogs home I put the bitch in there as she was a terrible yapper and if it's not something I would keep as a worker I would not pass it on to another working home to be passed on again I was gutted but cats and dogs home was best option as I know they would make sure she found a good family home prick !!!!!!! I spent all my time from 8 weeks to 3 years so I was gutted !!!! Then the one that didn't like teeth went onto a working home for free as a rabbit dog as he was a good dog on rabbits but I have 60 + farms that expect me to get rid of the teeth quarry so that's whyiI let him go and I spent three years with him so keep ya gob shut I did whats best for me and the dog I gifted to a gent is very happy he has a very good team now the terrier and my old dog are catching good numbers day time so he better there instead of being locked up in my cage people like u cherp up [BANNED TEXT] u don't know nothing rant over

Before work my 22month old lad gets a 45 min piss n pooh walk/run an then when i get home hes out for 2/3 hours moochin which includes a bit ov huntin up a bit ov swimmin a bit ov sprintin and a bit ov playtime an then hes back on his lead an walked home, food wise hes fed Sneyds wi raw meat once a day an as toasted whole meal bread in a monin (2) slices, hes fit hes healthy an hes happy an thats good enough for an him ATB Yonner

Well then I stand corrected by that eloquent and articulate post, a riveting explanation.41 farms, all won over by your charm

and guile no doubt.doesnt matter how loud you shout it, in MY OPINION its still not right.lets hope this animal can cope with this astronomical workload and doesnt develop any faults eh? If you dont like others opinions, dont post , if not try and

keep the personal abuse and aggression to a minimum, there may be other children reading also."Dont know nothing" is a double negative.

Atb and good hunting.

• Like 2

Just counted my farms and I was bull shitting lol iv got 41 farms lol

Yes and I only visit all of then 3 to 4 times a season so quarry not consistant lamp shy and I have mates that have dogs as well. And there are lads on here that know how much I'm out and travel some distance I'm out 4 to 5 night's a week in the season I travel nearly 650 miles a week I don't need to explain I know what i Do and so do others on here enough said ii never started this thread asking for advice but iv got it good old thl full f jump up pricks atb to the sound lads it's just unreal I really like thl but times like this makes me wish no one ever told me about thl

Well then I stand corrected by that eloquent and articulate post, a riveting explanation.41 farms, all won over by your charm

and guile no doubt.doesnt matter how loud you shout it, in MY OPINION its still not right.lets hope this animal can cope with this astronomical workload and doesnt develop any faults eh? If you dont like others opinions, dont post , if not try and

keep the personal abuse and aggression to a minimum, there may be other children reading also."Dont know nothing" is a double negative.

Atb and good hunting.

dont mind foresterj , he knows everything about everything, the amount of sh*t he talks is unreal, and why dont you ask him what would he do with a jacker ???? :censored:

• Like 1

Lurcher man Im asking you what he does lol

id say read books and decided he is an expert and like he says dont post if you dont want an option and my option is your given your dog a fightening chance at been a fit healthly dog and 6miles souds alot but how many miles does a lurcher print in a night of rabbits???????? :thumbs:

• Like 1