Pellet Lubing,can It Really Make Such A Differance?

Hy guys,had my prosport,177 six weeks now and after 1000 pellets throught it,well to be honest the shine had worn off a little,maybe my beginners look had run out,maybe it is becouse i have just started wearing glasses,maybe i wasnt trying hard enough after all its a PROSPORT,there are loads of variables as to way the accuracy may be way would,

had i just got blazzah when pulling the trigger,was i following the shot through,was my breathing correct,i worked on all the variables i could but the rifle or me was not getting better,to the point when i asked my lad if we were going shooting,his reply was NO! cos i cant seem to hit anything,BINGO it wasnt just me then,

I had read about pellet weighting,washing and lubing but to be honest i thought it was mainly for the compition boys trying to eek out the last advantage but hay its a free thing to try

so i got 50 AA field in 4.51 and washed them in warm soapy water been careful not to damage the skirts,i washed them it a mild hand wash not washing up liquid as it has a high salt content,emptied them out onto kitchen roll and left them to dry,inspected the water but found no real debris,once the pellets had dried i soaked the foam in a pellet tin with some Abbey gunlube SM50 and placed the pellets it the tin,pushing them around to lightly coat them,

At the range and the magic unfolded with every shot,shot a good dozen to check zero and was pleasantly suprised,ok to you guys its probably a joke but i noticed straight away no flyers,this is at 25metres pic one

Shot again at another 25m target pic two and the group is now starting to settle and form nicely apart from the two high shots,again no flyers out of the edge circle

Ok by this point i can feel the rifle has changed,it feels smoother,i can follow the shot through,the cross hairs are still on target after the trigger cycle,the firing cycle doesnt make me blink,

After setting up some small bottle tops and bits and bobs i shot the third group again at 25m,now it maybe a load of B@@@@@ks, but the results seem to speak for them selfs,again no daft flyers

I cannot belive how differant the rifle now shoots,its a joy to use,its quieter,has less recoil,its smoother,for a laugh a shot a blade of grass that was hovering infront of my backstop,ok it took five shots to cut it down but it was swaying in the breeze,does this mean i need to clean my barrel or just keep washing and lubing my pellets

Happy times are here again regards nick

post-86021-0-12424700-1370373289_thumb.jpg

post-86021-0-54679300-1370373700_thumb.jpg

post-86021-0-24703600-1370374163_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say this was pretty poor for the range they were shot from. From what I gather here, the one hit in the blue disc was by default? Not good. If it was my group I'd need a serious review of what I'm

It can't hurt to give 'em a wash and going in dry without a little lube's never a good idea

Hi Giro.   The whole purpose of washing pellets is to get rid of the swarfe metal shavings that gets left behind in manufacture more often these days Giro. Lubing counts for nothing if your ammo i

Posted Images

that third group is really good mate similar to mine here at 28 yards roughly same distance

the top right pellet was the aimpoint the group of 5 shots fell low and left ( 6 shots total )

with .177 daystate Li pellets, washed and lubed with wd40

20130604_221453_zps8b7d2d45.jpg

with my hw97kt that I fitted a vmach kit to and has only fired roughly 600 pellets since so is still bedding in,

im not the best shot in the world and don't claim to be, but I really enjoy my shooting :)

and im getting better all the time, as Bigmac97kt keeps telling me ... :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

SKoT

Washing is a good idea but I don't lube anymore due to the fact it sent my rifle well over the legal limit.

You need to be careful lubing as by its very definition of causing less friction the speed of the pellet can increase drastically!

But each to their own I guess, not for me.

Phil

I've been lubing H&N FTT pellets with a thin coating of WD40 for many years and they are superbly accurate Craig. :yes::thumbs: You don't totally wet them in the stuff or you have dieselling of course. But a light coat and I've had great performance. It works well mate, really. I know Si likes to lube his ammo with it too.

Lubed with WD40 ?Really ?

Yeah why not? Not used much just a light coating

• Like 1

Sparkey, its just practice mate,

Use the same hold per shot and you will see the group really tighten, don't wrap your fingers round the stock at the forend nor grip hold of the gun to tight.

AA fields in 4.52 were right in my barrel at reasonable ranges up to 25 meters but after that I find they open up some what.

Tried RWS superfield in 4.52 at half the price and they seem fine, you can see me hitting bottle tops and spinners out to 50 meters using them.

Springer shooting is a real art form which is why pcp only shooters annoy me when they mock spring piston rifles because it takes more skill to produce tight groups with spring than it does pcp.

Don't lose hope, the prosport is one of if not the best rifle out the box! Yours sounds like it may need a proper strip down and relube as the stuff the factory uses is rubbish and not put in the right places. I base this on my own experience with my new prosport and others findings.

It could be after a few more months the fit and feel of the rifle just isn't for you! In that case I would say see if you can fire a tx200 and see if that's any better.

Hope this helps sparky, without seeing how you shoot I can't really offer any more specific advice.

Phil

• Like 1

Phil, PCP shooters mock spring rifle shooting because.... we give them a guilty conscience about the true level of their shooting ability.

Sparkey, you definitely seem to have improved your groups for want of a little lube here. :thumbs:

Best wishes lads.

Simon

• Like 2

Phil, PCP shooters mock spring rifle shooting because.... we give them a guilty conscience about the true level of their shooting ability.

Sparkey, you definitely seem to have improved your groups for want of a little lube here. :thumbs:

Best wishes lads.

Simon

Not all of Us Simon ;)

Mainly the .177 Target tart types :laugh:, Loved Springer's but can't afford another for a while,

Instead i'm Mastering the Fine art of throwing a 20 gr H & N FTT in .25 cal at 11.3 ft/lbs at Ranges people say

are only for .177 or at a push .22. :yes:

atvb Daz 7.

• Like 1

Thats where i got the idea of using wd40 .. Si's other youtube channel Zinaroon. :yes:

I tried napier power pellet lube but that caused dieseling pretty bad whereas the wd40 lubed pellets have not dieselled yet, neitherhas the rifle after fitting the vmach kit. And its had 600 wd40'ed pellets through it since

Mawders/phil funny you should suggest a tx200,shouldered one last saturday and found it more balanced,less front heavy and i was able to hold it really steady on target while stood,i cant do that with my prosport,iam going wash and lube the rest of my pellets and continue testing hopefully its not a fluke,

i know at times my shooting can be irratic and i always need a good dozen shots to get my eye in,before lubing my pellets the last couple of sessions i havent got my eye in after 100 shots,i do try and hold the rifle,load the comb,breath and release the trigger the same for every shot,it just seemed way easier after the pellet prepping

Pianoman/simon thanks for the comments regarding my grouping

i,ll give WD40 ago

regards nick

• Like 1