Hot Weather And Thick Coated Dogs

I was out walking yesterday afternoon with my two dogs,the weather warmed right up,and I gave the dogs a lot of time in the water,and in shaded woodland,when I got home my older dog could'nt stand up,so I lifted him up,his heart rate was very high,and his nose was hot,he also had a darker than usual coloured tongue,he lost the use of his legs,at first I thought he may have eaten some poison,or was having a fit or a heart attack,it was feckin scary for me aswell as the dog,I lay him on the grass,and poured cold water on the insides of his back and front legs,after about ten minutes he was sick,then accepted a drink of water,ten minutes later he was walking,he ate his food as usual later on and is back to normal,I remember this same dog having a bit of a funny turn in warm weather when he was 2 1/2 year old,he is 10 now,and I've always been careful when the weather gets too warm,hope this can help if anyone else's dog shows these type of symptoms

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best thing to do is walk them first thing morning last thing at night stay away from the hottest hours of the day do them no harm to stay in their pens and sunbathe days like that

Why would you say that??? Beyond me that one...!!! Your response is as stupid as Sock's advice is good...   You're an embarrassment...

I wrote this on another forum a few years back ........   i have been asked to put this up as the weather is still hot and the dangers of heat stroke are very much in the forefront .....   heatstr

Lot's of factors depend.

Mine is black as the ace of spades with a thick long coat and he does suffer here with the heat. One solution I was told is to put lumps of Sulphar into the water another is to leave the fecker at home :laugh:

Keep the dog hydrated watch for signs of the dark tongue as that can be a killer signal :thumbs:

• Like 1

I was out walking yesterday afternoon with my two dogs,the weather warmed right up,and I gave the dogs a lot of time in the water,and in shaded woodland,when I got home my older dog could'nt stand up,so I lifted him up,his heart rate was very high,and his nose was hot,he also had a darker than usual coloured tongue,he lost the use of his legs,at first I thought he may have eaten some poison,or was having a fit or a heart attack,it was feckin scary for me aswell as the dog,I lay him on the grass,and poured cold water on the insides of his back and front legs,after about ten minutes he was sick,then accepted a drink of water,ten minutes later he was walking,he ate his food as usual later on and is back to normal,I remember this same dog having a bit of a funny turn in warm weather when he was 2 1/2 year old,he is 10 now,and I've always been careful when the weather gets too warm,hope this can help if anyone else's dog shows these type of symptoms

take him out when the sun gone down 8pm or later, my 2 dogs got thick coats the 1x gsd x grey got very thick coat.I always go where there is deep pools etc, and dont over do the exercise with them when it gets warm, but bloody hell it just only just gone warm the the last week lol

• Like 1

each to there own mate ,...........I put the heaters on in the house then bring them in to warm up this weather........

I wrote this on another forum a few years back ........

i have been asked to put this up as the weather is still hot and the dangers of heat stroke are very much in the forefront .....

heatstroke can be easily overlooked here are a few tips to spot it and the run down of how it affects the dog .....

Panting

High body temperature

Dehydration

Red (congested) membranes in the mouth and eyes

Rapid, irregular heart rate

Diarrhoea

Weakness, looking dazed

Coma

Death

if the dog gets heat stroke here is the quickest and easyest step by step method of curing the dog .....

Move your dog to a cool, shady spot. Get her out of the direct heat.

Take the dog's temperature (if possible). If it's above 104° F, you want to lower that in 10 to 15 minutes and stop when the dog's temperature reaches 104°. Spray or immerse the dog in cool water. Use cool, not ice cold water! as this will cause shock.

Place cool, water-soaked towels on the neck, feet, and belly.

Let the dog drink if it wants.

Get to the nearest vets.

just to illustrate a point here of how dumb pet owners are ....... i was in the woods behind my house the other day when this woman i have seen there a number of times aproached me with her big hairy airedale and started quizzing me about dog pregnancy and births as she had just mated her bitch .... one of the things she said was that she had read in a book that all dogs should be kept on lead walks only as soon as they have been mated .... i obviously put her straight on this and whent into a 15 minuet explination about bitches and pregnancy and finally got through to her ..... the next time i seen her was on saturday afternoon and she had heeded my advice ... infact she had done more than that as aher and her dumb ass husband were throwing a tennis ball for this unclipped airedale to chase back and fore amongst each other in tempretures above 26 degrees .... f***ing numbskulls ... its common sence realy ..... they were put right and the dog was taken into the woods for a swim

• Like 2

Cheers for that socks,it is a scary thing to see,was just glad I had some idea of what to do,there is a nature reserve near where I live,last year as I went through on my bike,there was a load of people on a field running a dog relay racing event it was a red hot summers day,unbelievable!

i have been asked to put this up as the weather is still hot and the dangers of heat stroke are very much in the forefront .....

heatstroke can be easily overlooked here are a few tips to spot it and the run down of how it affects the dog .....

Panting

High body temperature

Dehydration

Diarrhoea

Weakness, looking dazed

Coma

Death

if the dog gets heat stroke here is the quickest and easyest step by step method of curing the dog .....

Take the dog's temperature (if possible). If it's above 104° F, you want to lower that in 10 to 15 minutes and stop when the dog's temperature reaches 104°. Spray or immerse the dog in cool water. Use cool, not ice cold water! as this will cause shock.

Get to the nearest vets.

just to illustrate a point here of how dumb pet owners are ....... i was in the woods behind my house the other day when this woman i have seen there a number of times aproached me with her big hairy airedale and started quizzing me about dog pregnancy and births as she had just mated her bitch .... one of the things she said was that she had read in a book that all dogs should be kept on lead walks only as soon as they have been mated .... i obviously put her straight on this and whent into a 15 minuet explination about bitches and pregnancy and finally got through to her ..... the next time i seen her was on saturday afternoon and she had heeded my advice ... infact she had done more than that as aher and her dumb ass husband were throwing a tennis ball for this unclipped airedale to chase back and fore amongst each other in tempretures above 26 degrees .... f*****g numbskulls ... its common sence realy ..... they were put right and the dog was taken into the woods for a swim

load of shxx

Panting

High body temperature

Dehydration

Diarrhoea

Weakness, looking dazed

Coma

Death

Get to the nearest vets.

just to illustrate a point here of how dumb pet owners are ....... i was in the woods behind my house the other day when this woman i have seen there a number of times aproached me with her big hairy airedale and started quizzing me about dog pregnancy and births as she had just mated her bitch .... one of the things she said was that she had read in a book that all dogs should be kept on lead walks only as soon as they have been mated .... i obviously put her straight on this and whent into a 15 minuet explination about bitches and pregnancy and finally got through to her ..... the next time i seen her was on saturday afternoon and she had heeded my advice ... infact she had done more than that as aher and her dumb ass husband were throwing a tennis ball for this unclipped airedale to chase back and fore amongst each other in tempretures above 26 degrees .... f*****g numbskulls ... its common sence realy ..... they were put right and the dog was taken into the woods for a swim

load of shxx

Thanks for your well thought out input dickwad ..........

• Like 2

Panting

High body temperature

Dehydration

Diarrhoea

Weakness, looking dazed

Coma

Death

Get to the nearest vets.

load of shxx

Considering this is the advice you'd get from any vet worth their salt as Slimo said Pray tell why?