Small Lurchers On Deer Pre Ban !!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed   I consider a small dog 18/22 with a sma

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............ no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back leg

Posted Images

WHAT ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE HAVE DONE IN THE LAST WEEK, OR SO... THIS HAS BIN SAID MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES,,LOL

Worked all week. Then sat on me lazy arse all night till 9ish :laugh: and took the dogs for their walk as its been too hot thru the day.

Is anybody capable of breaking their necks? Anything upto fallow doe's ?

i once had a pup grab a chinese by the arse, didn't know how to finish the job as she was only about 10 months and put the deer up by accident. by the time i got there the poor critter was pretty shredded and i didnt even have a pocket knife on me. by straddling the body with my whole weight on it and twisting its neck (using the end of the muzzle to get leverage) i managed to dislocate it, just by twisting an inch at a time then resetting my grip and another inch and so on. took several minutes and had to twist virtually a complete revolution and it was really difficult and all in all a very unpleasant experience. i would never want to do it again, and i dont believe there are many men strong enough to do that with bigger deer, especially if they still had some fight left in them.

not a good way to do it at all! Grad the chin pull back and push where the head meets the neck and pop it will go not always easy but never failed.

youre right, it wasnt a good way to do it!!!! never walked out without a pocket knife since that day ;)

Made that mistake once, luckily there was no harm to the deer so I let it go. Got a fair old bollocking from a mate who said you should never leave the house with this type of dog without a knife, let me feeling a little sheepish to say the least :laugh: Good advice well heeded, never go walking the dog without a blade now :thumbs:

Ill openly admit to doing 'a bit' through the summer... many moons ago anyway.... as that is when the roe bucks were in season :thumbs:

Would not run Does but accidents happen. And if quick enough they can normally be released

IMO those that didnt run the daytime bucks through the summer evenings missed out big time. The shooters are on them at that time because its the official season anyway.

Late, light evenings with nobody around were ace. Walking around with the caller with bucks following you out of the woods like the pied piper of roe :laugh:

Through the summer as well you could take as many bucks as you wanted and have very little impact on the number of young the following year as other bucks from neighboring areas just come in anyway to sort the does out.

• Like 2

WHAT ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE HAVE DONE IN THE LAST WEEK, OR SO... THIS HAS BIN SAID MANY MANY MANY MANY TIMES,,LOL

tried to find a job but nothing around I was looking for at least 10 minutes but had to give up to stressful. Only one I came across was one advertised in the local police station window, old man wanted for rape.

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed

I consider a small dog 18/22 with a small frame........if people were to run roe and fallow on a regular basis with these type of animals the first question in my head would be "why?"

i like all dogs of all flavours but my favourite is the bigger dog 27+ I just like watching a big dog work, speed turning just the pure effort of them, but I've also seen a 19" beddy wip take fallow and regular as you like. Reason is because it can. But still rather the bigger type Lurcher, once has hold it's in the bag. If only we could still do this.

once a big lurcher has got hold it dont mean its in the bag. imo with large deer it aint in the bag until its dead, seen deer get pulled over and still manage to get up and go. unless the dogs got a decent grip/bite they cant always hold them. they dont get them all.

• Like 1

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed

I consider a small dog 18/22 with a small frame........if people were to run roe and fallow on a regular basis with these type of animals the first question in my head would be "why?"

i like all dogs of all flavours but my favourite is the bigger dog 27+ I just like watching a big dog work, speed turning just the pure effort of them, but I've also seen a 19" beddy wip take fallow and regular as you like. Reason is because it can. But still rather the bigger type Lurcher, once has hold it's in the bag. If only we could still do this.

once a big lurcher has got hold it dont mean its in the bag. imo with large deer it aint in the bag until its dead, seen deer get pulled over and still manage to get up and go. unless the dogs got a decent grip/bite they cant always hold them. they dont get them all.
yeah,reading back what I wrote your right.
  • 2 months later...