Small Lurchers On Deer Pre Ban !!!!

I had a collie/grey x 25" and she could handle deer no problem I wish I had her now :yes:

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious :hmm:

That's the thing everyone can have a opinion and that is my one it was the smallest lurcher I have owned and the smallest lurcher I have owned for deer :thumbs:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed   I consider a small dog 18/22 with a sma

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............ no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back leg

Posted Images

i've saw a couple of cracking wee collie x's 22" take deer regular, one used to hold on but couldn't finish the job alone and got dragged about a bit so you had to get on the scene sharpish, as for the size thing i don't think height is as important as build or heart, a wee dog with a big heart for me is always going to be better than a big dog with a wee heart

Need to get in there with the rack hold buckaroo style!!!

why bother with a dog?mqdefault.jpgpixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
Bare handed Deer Hunting

Deer hunting by catching a wild feral (pest) deer with just my hands - no guns, traps, tools or weapons - the true test of man vs ...

this guy is feckin mad! just watched him go in head first into fox den inside a hollow tree and pull a dog out hanging onto his arm ha ha !

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............

no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back legs or arse they needed throat holds and killed instantly...........I knew a few ,that would take them down from the back part and then transfer to the neck as to be expected from small dogs.........any good dog small or big needs to be finishing them instant other wise I don't class them as anything if the job only half done.....

• Like 4

my very 1st lurcher was a lurcher to lurcher stuff with beddy grey ,deer grey in her mix and was a nasty game little bitch at 23 " she had a heart of a lion in the field and did roe quite well (its the only species ive come across) but she was a arse ender then slipped up to the neck and hold really well ,her kennel mate a not sure of her breeding but 25 " racey type with bull,a dash of saluki and grey in her only guessing that because of her looks ,she again did roe easy but was a arse ender only so meat damage was excessive ,i had a whippet x bought from norfolk from coursing stuff she couldnt do rabbits 100 % just not inerested in killing them she would chase roe but hang back and just run with hem til they were safe ,just never had the heart at 21" tts she was given away to mydad as a pet

Seen dogs of all breeds and sizes take all deer but small dogs are shit in the corn and long grass.

I agree with this statement..........smaller ones did struggle in the long grass and crops.....but the only problem then was they use to catch the deer led up in the long grass and not having fair law on them .........

Seen dogs of all breeds and sizes take all deer but small dogs are shit in the corn and long grass.

summer hunter then if the grass is to high :yes::D
Not realy we hav field round here they take the corn off it n don't chop down rest to make bails so hav to wait till dec/jan till replough bk in . Way it gos in sum places

where do you take the dogs this time of year ffs ,........juist keep to the roads.........?because a few deer get up in front of the dogs whilst walking don't make you a summer hunter....

• Like 1

where do you take the dogs this time of year ffs ,........juist keep to the roads.........?because a few deer get up in front of the dogs whilst walking don't make you a summer hunter....

who rattled your cage ffs it was a joke :laugh: some nobbers on here summer time respect your game there all with young or carrying you done a lot havent you :yes::D

• Like 1