Strong Rabbiting Dogs.

Phil

Could I ask why you changed the type of dog you keep and work.

Or as I suppose there isn't a quick and simple answer..

LOL

Hi,..firstly,.many thanks for your most courteous request.... :D

The answer to your query is realy quick and simple,...

Back in the 80s and 90s,..I was rabbit catching on a full time basis,..mostly employed to clear woodland tracts and other places. Some weeks, by dint of ferrets, nets, dogs and traps,..I would be taking several hundred rabbits..

The ferreting job was often carried out, amidst debris and brash, factory wastelands, building development plots,..etc, etc..and I needed lurchers that had the physical and mental attributes to cope with some fairly ridiculous scenarios :blink:

Today,..I am elderly, frail and usually unemployed,..so I just keep, a few wee whippety curs... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a strong we rabbiting bitch 19 tts 44 pound decent feet and a very good nose

dont think so mate the mate went to cumbria for it heres a photo of the dam and sire

no bother mate i was surprised when i seen it chase and catch the rabbit the ground was rougth some pic for you

Posted Images

been reading this topic with interest, anyways my eldest grandson been on far is first lurcher he be 12 now . HAVING been thinking this through what would suit him , a friend i knew was a breeding some moochers with a twist .the sorts frm yester year anyways he as is jukel picked and will be fetched in a fortnight atb bunnys.

• Like 3

This chunky girl, believe it or not, was quite a good rabbit dog in her day. She would both lamp and ferret very well, had some big hauls on the lamp with her too.

I once went for a walk with a bloke an his Beddy type cur, over the dunes on a pleasant September evening and both dogs were mooching free, he was telling me all about those bull crosses I have, and how they were no good on the humble bunny and if I was to look for a rabbit dog, the type he owned was just the ticket..!!

Quite convincing he was too, I was really starting to 'get' every word he spoke and he spoke a lot, until he was rudely interrupted by my 'square bitch' bringing me back a live rabbit for dispatch... She interrupted him several times that evening for the same thing... Got a bit embarrassing for me... Especially as his dog was so well trained that it never interrupted him once....!! ;)

post-8037-0-29200900-1370808164_thumb.jpg

This half x collie/grey was plenty strong enough...never reached the reserve stamina tank...he'd go on and on and then some...had the best feet ever...sadly didn't make an old dog... :thumbs:

attachicon.gif2.jpg

My sort of dog that mate he's built like a tank. Was he from Hancock ??