Have You Any Rights When Buying Second Hand Car?

mate bought a car two weeks ago from his neighbour,signed a receipt sold as seen but the cam belt just snapped today,cars f****d iv told him shit happens the lad that sold it probably could not have foreseen this happening and its just one of them things,but he thinks he may have rights of some sort although id doubt it what you think cheers

It would be a small claims court but I can't see it working out for him.

Second hand cars are sold as seen, if it was running ok when he bought it I cant see how he can claim against it. Unless there has been some dodgy bodge up which can be proved by a mechanic etc I'd say he has no chance.

There is always the possiblity that they can come to some arrangement with the previous owner like going halves on the repair if that person is a decent person.

It would be a small claims court but I can't see it working out for him.

Second hand cars are sold as seen, if it was running ok when he bought it I cant see how he can claim against it. Unless there has been some dodgy bodge up which can be proved by a mechanic etc I'd say he has no chance.

There is always the possiblity that they can come to some arrangement with the previous owner like going halves on the repair if that person is a decent person.

If I sold a car and somebody came back a fortnight later saying it was fecked I'd be telling them to kindly feck off, they could've been hammering the car for that 2 weeks. :thumbs:

• Like 2

hes not the sort lad to fall out over it certainly would not think of any legal action but he had to ask the question in all fairness,just one of them things unfortunately cheers for the reply :thumbs:

ive just bought a second hand car of the net for the new season,first thing im getting done is the timing belt ive had it looked at and it looks sound but once it goes you might aswell bin the car :thumbs:

he only losing £500 it will get £120 back on the scrap :D

hes not the sort lad to fall out over it certainly would not think of any legal action but he had to ask the question in all fairness,just one of them things unfortunately cheers for the reply :thumbs:

he should have asked when the cambelt was last changed :laugh:

he should have asked when the cambelt was last changed :laugh:

never been done but the owner had it from new full service history,changing it was first thing he going to sort 2 weeks to late it seems never mind cheers

If bought from a dealer "sold as seen" means nothing. They are obliged to fix anything that goes wrong with it within 6 months.

Buying privately, you have very few rights. The only time you have any recourse is if something has been described innacurately. Like if the previous owner said it had a new cambelt 10,000 miles ago then it snapped and a mechanic confirmed it had NOT been changed.

If the previous owner just said it was running O.K, he's probably not a mechanic and can't be expected to predict when it will break down.

Bti late now, but I always ask when the cambelt was last changed as a matter of course.

• Like 1

ive just bought a second hand car of the net for the new season,first thing im getting done is the timing belt ive had it looked at and it looks sound but once it goes you might aswell bin the car :thumbs:

thats what i got mine for an astra estate its in very good condition and drives well,as you say hes only lost a few quid the same goes fo me when im out poaching if you get caught its not the end of the earth if it confiscated :thumbs:

thats what i got mine for an astra estate its in very good condition and drives well,as you say hes only lost a few quid the same goes fo me when im out poaching if you get caught its not the end of the earth if it confiscated :thumbs:

poaching,wouldnt dream of it :laugh: but yeah you got a point :thumbs:

Some engines survive a broken cam belt better than others I was told. I believe the engines they had in the 1990s granadas wouldn't get trashed.

The Ford's with pinto engines in wouldn't get trashed , they was in most 80s - 90s Ford's and they came in 1.6 1.8 and 2.0 litre engine size

With cam belts you snooze you lose , they can go anytime if they ain't been changed at the right mileage