WORKER TO WORKER,its as simple as that....THE BEST TO THE BEST....In reality it doesn't always happen,theres always a reason why, and we have all done it if were honest.and if you haven't you have never had any bad luck,or your not putting enough stuff in front of your terriers.

Stick to the two quotes in capitals above and you won't go far wrong in the terrier WORKING world.,Oh maybee stop breeding them so f****n big,you got to get to a fox to work it...

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best workers ain't always the best producers

Nothing in the breeding of working terriers should ever be "theoretical". It should always be down to hard work. This theory that the right genes are in place is one of the reasons that there's so mu

fat man, you could never of said some thing that I disagree with so much ! I will explain it in away that some new lads to the sport will understand, as those in the game for many a year will understa

Posted Images

Some say they would not breed of a non worker,myself included,but just say you have a dog or bitch with well proven blood lines and when they are about 5-6 year old and have done everything you have asked off them you then want to have a litter of them to keep the line going.Then say the bitch has we will say 6 pups all doing well and the diging season kicks in again.Now you take your proven dog and bitch out when season starts and BANG one of them don't want to know,let it be the dog or the bitch 1 has thrown in the towel,you try it again and same result not interested,but you still have 6 pups from this mating spread out between you and your mates,do you bring them on to adults or cull,would you call the 1 that jibbed a quitter,or say she or he had done enough over the previous 6 year to make up for it quitting.I think myself and this is my opinion that any terrier that is worked and worked hard are only as good as there last dig.

fat man, you could never of said some thing that I disagree with so much ! I will explain it in away that some new lads to the sport will understand, as those in the game for many a year will understand what I am saying.. most people think " ALI" was the greatest fighter of all time, but for those that have only seen his last few fights would disagree. dogs and humans peak at a certain age, you cant improve up to your last year of your life, as you age. a lot of what you have done in the past will catch up with you, as it is with dogs and humans. over the years I have seen a few dogs in the later years of there lives walk out after an hour or more on that last dig ( these dogs with there owners and friends were dug to at least 250 plus digs, one I know was dug to at least 300 plus digs, ( the dog was over 10 years old) a handy few of these digs the game shifted a few times and in the end the dog gave 100% on each dig, then one day walked out, are these dogs classed only as good as there last DIG ! I am afraid there not, there flesh and blood, and not machines, the longer your in the game you get to learn more about when its time to retire your dog / or bitch and breed off them.

• Like 7

Some say they would not breed of a non worker,myself included,but just say you have a dog or bitch with well proven blood lines and when they are about 5-6 year old and have done everything you have asked off them you then want to have a litter of them to keep the line going.Then say the bitch has we will say 6 pups all doing well and the diging season kicks in again.Now you take your proven dog and bitch out when season starts and BANG one of them don't want to know,let it be the dog or the bitch 1 has thrown in the towel,you try it again and same result not interested,but you still have 6 pups from this mating spread out between you and your mates,do you bring them on to adults or cull,would you call the 1 that jibbed a quitter,or say she or he had done enough over the previous 6 year to make up for it quitting.I think myself and this is my opinion that any terrier that is worked and worked hard are only as good as there last dig.

fat man, you could never of said some thing that I disagree with so much ! I will explain it in away that some new lads to the sport will understand, as those in the game for many a year will understand what I am saying.. most people think " ALI" was the greatest fighter of all time, but for those that have only seen his last few fights would disagree. dogs and humans peak at a certain age, you cant improve up to your last year of your life, as you age. a lot of what you have done in the past will catch up with you, as it is with dogs and humans. over the years I have seen a few dogs in the later years of there lives walk out after an hour or more on that last dig ( these dogs with there owners and friends were dug to at least 250 plus digs, one I know was dug to at least 300 plus digs, ( the dog was over 10 years old) a handy few of these digs the game shifted a few times and in the end the dog gave 100% on each dig, then one day walked out, are these dogs classed only as good as there last DIG ! I am afraid there not, there flesh and blood, and not machines, the longer your in the game you get to learn more about when its time to retire your dog / or bitch and breed off them.

Slightly off topic.... And maybe it's just me... But why the f$&@ would you put a 10yo dog to ground knowing that it ain't anywhere near its prime? It just seems that it's asking for the dog to die or quit??? I don't see any 70yo boxers in the ring with 20yo opponents. I do see your point, but I've heard the same reasoning used for hard dogs walking. Anyone can break a dog, and i honestly don't see much difference between overworking at 10 months or 10 years. Both are asking for the same answer.

Slightly off topic.... And maybe it's just me... But why the f$&@ would you put a 10yo dog to ground knowing that it ain't anywhere near its prime? It just seems that it's asking for the dog to die or quit??? I don't see any 70yo boxers in the ring with 20yo opponents. I do see your point, but I've heard the same reasoning used for hard dogs walking. Anyone can break a dog, and i honestly don't see much difference between overworking at 10 months or 10 years. Both are asking for the same answer.

i say you have not seen much in world of working terriers comparing a 10 month old pup to a top class digging dog of ten years of age.

some one that knows his dogs/line should know when to rest/retire a dog and not sicken it-imo-it would depend on the working style of the dog to wether it should be getting used at 10 yr old +.if they steady and methodical then some keep going well past that-if you have had the dog and worked it for 10 yrs you should know its limits and end on a high note-imho.atb ;)

• Like 1

Your right BB. The man who is lucky enough to have had the same line of dogs (whatever type) for a number of years already has an advantage over those that never seem to be happy and are forever chopping and changing the type or breed that they want.

When you know what your working with inside and out then you'll have a better knowledge of what to look for when it comes to rearing, entering and maintaining the dog as a worker right up to it's retirement.

Unfortunately, those who chop and change seem to be the more common of the two.

• Like 2

i say you have not seen much in world of working terriers comparing a 10 month old pup to a top class digging dog of ten years of age.

Must be. If I ain't seen someone make a good dog spew that's in old age, then I mustn't have seen much at all. You were the one that said you've seen a few top class old dogs spew. I bet the owner thought they were up to the task. As for my 10mo comment, you are part right, I don't know what a 10mo pup can do cos no-one I know would use one. The last 2 I retired were 8 & 9 respectively, small dogs that I decided were done.

Great thread this lads now I couldn't give my opinion as I haven't been at it enough to tell anyone anything but will defo be taking this advice and theories for the future some great replies Atb Tom :thumbs:

some one that knows his dogs/line should know when to rest/retire a dog and not sicken it-imo-it would depend on the working style of the dog to wether it should be getting used at 10 yr old +.if they steady and methodical then some keep going well past that-if you have had the dog and worked it for 10 yrs you should know its limits and end on a high note-imho.atb ;)

I could not agree more with your post bobby blackheart.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Must be. If I ain't seen someone make a good dog spew that's in old age, then I mustn't have seen much at all. You were the one that said you've seen a few top class old dogs spew. I bet the owner thought they were up to the task. As for my 10mo comment, you are part right, I don't know what a 10mo pup can do cos no-one I know would use one. The last 2 I retired were 8 & 9 respectively, small dogs that I decided were done.

ozzy, the guy did not make a good spew, its not as if he put him into a very difficult dig, he was a good baying dog, mixed it rarely , I remember the day quite clearly, we thought the game must of bolted, the owner of the dog had only 3 dogs at the time in his yard,, and treated them like his children, fed and walk them every day for an hour plus, the dog lived for another 4 years till he died at 14 years plus, when your digging over 40 years plus you are going to see a little bit more than a guy that's in the sport half the time, and you were correct in retiring your dogs at 8 @ 9 cause you know your dogs best ozzy.

if someone is allways/over years not happy with his terriers (diverent lines, breeds and,and,and) then maybe something wrong with him!!! not with the dogs!

i saw somany guys looking for the golden unicorn that they dont saw the great dog on their leash.

they are looking for perfection but dont see that nothing is perfect!

• Like 1

spot on bobby id say many a good dog spewed because it was never given time to heal properly and was over worked to the point of it breaking the dogs will to stay. ive seen it with my own eyes and those people should walk a mile in the dogs shoes. many a good dog was ruined by the other twit at the handle end of the lead. they seem to think these we dogs are machines or robots trying to dig them 2 or 3 days after they've had a tough dig and are a bit worse for wear to put it nicely.

• Like 4

spot on bobby id say many a good dog spewed because it was never given time to heal properly and was over worked to the point of it breaking the dogs will to stay. ive seen it with my own eyes and those people should walk a mile in the dogs shoes. many a good dog was ruined by the other twit at the handle end of the lead. they seem to think these we dogs are machines or robots trying to dig them 2 or 3 days after they've had a tough dig and are a bit worse for wear to put it nicely.

you found better words.

that is what i mean!

post-80137-0-67275200-1368789943.jpeg