Our Way Of Life Is A Dirty Little Secret Getting...

I'm gonna have a rant here and feel free to join in or disagree.... When I started out hunting, I was proud to be associated as a hunter, still am. But it's getting increasingly like a dirty little secret. I read on here for the first time yesterday the right up for craigyboy in his local newspaper regarding his memorial garden. Now the guy was obviously a keen hunter but its sad that the story about him can't reflect that without fear or repercussions. The say his fellow countryman and how he loved the countryside, nothing about his passion for hunting. It's like we all do a sordid act, our dirty little secret. It's really starting to boil my piss. That other thread where someone found a deer with broken legs and getting stress for doing the right thing. No one knows where we stand with the law now under circumstances that we took for granted less than a decade ago. It's f***ing pish that we are made to feel like we are doing wrong and its getting worse.

• Like 17

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm gonna have a rant here and feel free to join in or disagree.... When I started out hunting, I was proud to be associated as a hunter, still am. But it's getting increasingly like a dirty little se

My friends think I lost the plot when I got the hunting bug, especially as I am a townie and always have been. The worst thing is I work in an office for a government agency (don't hate me, it pays we

I couldnt give a shit what folk think of me tbh .ive more to annoy me!

Posted Images

Within a truly civilized culture, when the majority don`t understand the minority, The minority should then become protected not persecuted anything else is a corruption of history with the loss of ancient traditions and customs.

My friends think I lost the plot when I got the hunting bug, especially as I am a townie and always have been. The worst thing is I work in an office for a government agency (don't hate me, it pays well and has reasonable hours) and if I ever mention hunting which I have learnt not to do if I can help it, they look at me as though I have crawled out from under a rock and tried to steal their children! Although I have to listen to their endless banging on about last nights soaps or what their favourite celebrity was spotted doing. FFS, it drives me nuts.

So when it comes to doing the business I keep myself to myself unless I am sure the people with me are interested and I just smile to myself smugly as they go home to sit on their backsides all weekend and the evenings watching the goggle box and shovelling processed crap in their mouths while I am out in the fresh air or just keeping myself busy walking the dogs or sorting my kit or even just making plans for my next adventure.

Jesus, that does sound a bit smug! Im really not that smug, honest.

Cheers

Pat

• Like 9

I couldnt give a shit what folk think of me tbh .ive more to annoy me!

I know what your saying but it shouldn't be the way its going. Folk should look upto to people who know how nature works, its a skill, something to be proud of. Not something people are afraid to mention regarding their loved ones incase some animal right f***ing lunatics decide to deface property etc as if we are f***ing scum. See you anti b*****ds reading this, I despise the lot of you.

• Like 6

It's because society has become sanitized. Meat is born in little packets in supermarkets nowadays.

Saying you hunt (in any form) seems to be as popular as telling people down the pub you are a slaughterman. They all want to eat the meat, but don't want to know where it comes from or how it is produced.

We are being blinkered into a lovely fuzzy world where everyone loves everyone else. Newsflash....I DON'T.

• Like 8

To quote George Orwell " when speaking the truth in times of universal deceit will become a revolutionary act " . Your right mate from filling in forms for a job , when it asks what do you do in your leisure time ? I wonder how many would put digging or lamping lol .

I live in industrial lancashire, we are on the edge of some nice countryside and the pennines but just as close to some of the biggest urban areas in the uk, the countryside and rural pubs are also full to the brim with townies......yet while I reconise some of what you say I also think we dont do too bad. Local pubs and markets/butchers sell game like never before, on a days shooting or following hounds we may see hundreds of walkers, school groups and townies but id say 99 out of a hundred are fine and show interest, only the tiny minority have a problem. I make sure everyone I come into contact with knows I hunt, I have hunting stickers in my car and its never been damaged. I can proberly count on one hand the people in my area/social circle/pubs I visit who are really anti or have any issues with what I do, and I can easily show them right up in any discussion.

15 years ago I couldnt give game away, even if oven prepared, now people will ask me for it even in feather, because of all the cooking/hugh witenstall type programs.

Personally I think we are in a better position now than 15 years ago. We have the perfect stage to push game foods given the meat scares. We have changed peoples views on hunting with hounds, the average person now knows hunting is more than just snobs on horses and arnt really arsed anymore. Compared to public opionon/knowledge 15 to 20 years ago we have done loads.

But it is still in the hands of all who hunt, write to all your local newspapers at least once a year on any fieldsport/rural issue. Push local game on everyone you know, take local kids out fishing or set up an air rifle range in your garden. Put hunting stickers in your car, wear field sports t-shirts promting hunting, mention to everyone you meet that you hunt.

• Like 2

My friends think I lost the plot when I got the hunting bug, especially as I am a townie and always have been. The worst thing is I work in an office for a government agency (don't hate me, it pays well and has reasonable hours) and if I ever mention hunting which I have learnt not to do if I can help it, they look at me as though I have crawled out from under a rock and tried to steal their children! Although I have to listen to their endless banging on about last nights soaps or what their favourite celebrity was spotted doing. FFS, it drives me nuts.

So when it comes to doing the business I keep myself to myself unless I am sure the people with me are interested and I just smile to myself smugly as they go home to sit on their backsides all weekend and the evenings watching the goggle box and shovelling processed crap in their mouths while I am out in the fresh air or just keeping myself busy walking the dogs or sorting my kit or even just making plans for my next adventure.

Jesus, that does sound a bit smug! Im really not that smug, honest.

Cheers

Pat

Why not oven prepare some game, I like to do bags of diced game and venison mixed with some stewing steak and give them out at work. Just explain its organic, free range home preduced meat. Play them at their own game. Id see it as a challenge. Dont try to talk them round just show them the light a bit at a time

Edited by DIDO.1

To quote George Orwell " when speaking the truth in times of universal deceit will become a revolutionary act " . Your right mate from filling in forms for a job , when it asks what do you do in your leisure time ? I wonder how many would put digging or lamping lol .

Exactly mate, instead of telling the truth, you'd just write walks in the country. I can mind going to a Halloween party, old girlfriend, the lassy hosting it, her man was a warden. I was warned not to say I was into hunting. Well as you can imagine when the wine flows the tongue loosens lol. You'd have thought I'd been caught shagging there cat!!! I wasn't bothered, girlfriend was though, it was her work colleagues lol. On a side note, one of the girls was an underwear model (I f***ing kid you not) and was dressed as a st trinians...... I've still got her etched in my memory some 20 years later :laugh:

Exactly mate, instead of telling the truth, you'd just write walks in the country. I can mind going to a Halloween party, old girlfriend, the lassy hosting it, her man was a warden. I was warned not to say I was into hunting. Well as you can imagine when the wine flows the tongue loosens lol. You'd have thought I'd been caught shagging there cat!!! I wasn't bothered, girlfriend was though, it was her work colleagues lol. On a side note, one of the girls was an underwear model (I f*****g kid you not) and was dressed as a st trinians...... I've still got her etched in my memory some 20 years later :laugh:

Good idea. I wondered why putting "hobbies - murdering animals" wasn't going down well. :laugh:

• Like 2

I live in industrial lancashire, we are on the edge of some nice countryside and the pennines but just as close to some of the biggest urban areas in the uk, the countryside and rural pubs are also full to the brim with townies......yet while I reconise some of what you say I also think we dont do too bad. Local pubs and markets/butchers sell game like never before, on a days shooting or following hounds we may see hundreds of walkers, school groups and townies but id say 99 out of a hundred are fine and show interest, only the tiny minority have a problem. I make sure everyone I come into contact with knows I hunt, I have hunting stickers in my car and its never been damaged. I can proberly count on one hand the people in my area/social circle/pubs I visit who are really anti or have any issues with what I do, and I can easily show them right up in any discussion.

15 years ago I couldnt give game away, even if oven prepared, now people will ask me for it even in feather, because of all the cooking/hugh witenstall type programs.

Personally I think we are in a better position now than 15 years ago. We have the perfect stage to push game foods given the meat scares. We have changed peoples views on hunting with hounds, the average person now knows hunting is more than just snobs on horses and arnt really arsed anymore. Compared to public opionon/knowledge 15 to 20 years ago we have done loads.

But it is still in the hands of all who hunt, write to all your local newspapers at least once a year on any fieldsport/rural issue. Push local game on everyone you know, take local kids out fishing or set up an air rifle range in your garden. Put hunting stickers in your car, wear field sports t-shirts promting hunting, mention to everyone you meet that you hunt.

Interesting and I salute you sir. But I'm going for a stab in the dark here, I'm guessing your not a lurcherman, am I right?

• Like 1

Exactly mate, instead of telling the truth, you'd just write walks in the country. I can mind going to a Halloween party, old girlfriend, the lassy hosting it, her man was a warden. I was warned not to say I was into hunting. Well as you can imagine when the wine flows the tongue loosens lol. You'd have thought I'd been caught shagging there cat!!! I wasn't bothered, girlfriend was though, it was her work colleagues lol. On a side note, one of the girls was an underwear model (I f*****g kid you not) and was dressed as a st trinians...... I've still got her etched in my memory some 20 years later :laugh:

Good idea. I wondered why putting "hobbies - murdering animals" wasn't going down well. :laugh:

:laugh: na mate, its cause you use the word murder. You need to change that to killing animals, you can only murder humans you silly man :laugh:

• Like 1

I done jury duty a while back....me, 2 other guys and the rest woman. So one of the guys I don't think was interested in football and stay, oooohhh matron sort of type and the other guy was sound. It was a 3 day thing so we chatted a lot about stuff and obviously quite quickly you ask about each others jobs. When I tell folk that I'm a Game Farmer they always have a genuine interest in it and what it entails. Same with this guy. He asked me about foxes and stuff, I told them they were a nuisance and I shot them on site which he didn't seem to have a problem with. But then he asked me about fix hunting. I gave him my views on it and although he was quite reserved in what he said I quite believe he is against it. So I enlightened him on how mr fox works and how fox hunting is an "essential" part of fox control. Now I've no idea if any of it went in but I'd like to think it did.

I done jury duty a while back....me, 2 other guys and the rest woman. So one of the guys I don't think was interested in football and stay, oooohhh matron sort of type and the other guy was sound. It was a 3 day thing so we chatted a lot about stuff and obviously quite quickly you ask about each others jobs. When I tell folk that I'm a Game Farmer they always have a genuine interest in it and what it entails. Same with this guy. He asked me about foxes and stuff, I told them they were a nuisance and I shot them on site which he didn't seem to have a problem with. But then he asked me about fix hunting. I gave him my views on it and although he was quite reserved in what he said I quite believe he is against it. So I enlightened him on how mr fox works and how fox hunting is an "essential" part of fox control. Now I've no idea if any of it went in but I'd like to think it did.

I've preached to all and sundry lab, I think they are just being polite in agreeing or else they want me to shut up lol. But I think their minds made up and you can't alter it. It's like telling a staunch labour supporting ex miner to vote Tory.