Would You Buy A Dog At A Show ?

Was at Llandeillo poultry fair today looking at some chickens and such but seen a young traveller lad with a nice looking whippet, dark brindle one if anyone was there n seen him.

Anyways asked him about it n he said its for sale, £150 ... hes KC reg n got papers in the hooose :whistling: ... ANYWAYS.... regardless of papers the dog was alright looking , not bad condition n my pal who has had lurchers for YEARS looked him over .

The guy reckons he was 12 month old, and had done nothing with him yet.

My pal said for a gypsy dog to have done feck all at 12 month dont sounds right to him :laugh:

Anyways was tempted but left it go, but just wondering if anyone ever picked up some tidy dogs like this,

I am wondering if he'd of been a good little rabbiter when out with my spaniel lol :victory:

you will get the odd gem for sale now and then but most are pretty averge dogs,i would advise get a pup and start from scratch pal,but if a lad seems genuine and is willing to let you see the dog graft you have got nothing to lose,had two outstanding lurchers myself one i reared as a pup from myself the other i picked up off a genuine lad who couldnt work the dog no more due to ill health and he was a topper,just dont rush in to anything.

you will get the odd gem for sale now and then but most are pretty averge dogs,i would advise get a pup and start from scratch pal,but if a lad seems genuine and is willing to let you see the dog graft you have got nothing to lose,had two outstanding lurchers myself one i reared as a pup from myself the other i picked up off a genuine lad who couldnt work the dog no more due to ill health and he was a topper,just dont rush in to anything.

Ai mate, I was liked the look of the wee chap n thought he was a cracker but as said, no idea if he's alrdy been ruined etc so just walked, still a lovely lil dog tho...

If I get a running dog my pal will sort me out anyways, still in touch with alot of old lurcher boys who have kept certain lines for generations so get a good worker x worker breeding, atleast then have a good chance to have something tidy :)

Ai mate, I was liked the look of the wee chap n thought he was a cracker but as said, no idea if he's alrdy been ruined etc so just walked, still a lovely lil dog tho...

If I get a running dog my pal will sort me out anyways, still in touch with alot of old lurcher boys who have kept certain lines for generations so get a good worker x worker breeding, atleast then have a good chance to have something tidy :)

that would be your best bet pal :thumbs::thumbs: .

Me, personally, I wouldn't buy a dog other than straight from the dam and I'd like to know a bit of background before buying too. I've bought a dog as an adult before and know of others who have done the same and based on all of these never again :thumbs:

Sam

• Like 2

Might be different now, but 30 years ago, I went to a local Lurcher show, don't think there has been another since,

There was a lad from Ayr selling genuine first cross Whippet X Bedlingtons, £10 a Pup, he had the sire and dam with him,

I took a chance and bought a Bitch.

Best £10 i have ever spent absolute cracker one of the best dogs i ever owned.

• Like 2

not very many good dogs are sold .most dogs sold are not up to the job .dogs are often offered for sale i dont think anyone ever sells a really good dog.i have had dogs which by most were considerd good but to me they were only average. i allways gave a demo of the dog and if they were happy with it fair enough .some of the best dogs i had were gifted to me as pups from friends so i allready had a idea of thier possible abilities