Salukis Are Like Marmite.

Salukis seem to be like Marmite. You either love em or hate em.

I know NOTHING about them except that the best are breathtaking hare dogs on big fields.

I've never seen one run in the flesh, only on video.

My question is why do they divide opinion so much?

I've heard they can be moody and aloof and recall with them is difficult. Is this true?

Can someone with experience with the breed write a 'warts an all' description of the breed?

I suppose it will be fecking impossible to stop the name calling and breed blindness but lets try and keep it to a minimum lads.

Paulus, a suggestion, why not ask lads with a lot of knowledge about a particular breed or cross to write an article which could then be pinned at the top of the lurcher section. This would stop a lot of repeat threads like 'What are beddie whippets like' or Collie/greys on fox ?etc etc.??????? How about Fuji on the collie greyhound? or Black Greyhound on the gsd grey.?

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

salukis have been around for approx 6,000 years , so they stood the test of time as a hunting dog and companion. if you think you cant handle one leave it to those who can .. ..saves alot of gr

almura saluki ,saudi arabia

the so called stupidity can and often is , mistaken for high intelegance, . grossly misunderstood by alot of folk ..challanging , conflict of wills .certainly not for the inpatient

Posted Images

salukis have been around for approx 6,000 years , so they stood the test of time as a hunting dog and companion. if you think you cant handle one leave it to those who can .. ..saves alot of greif for the dog being passed on ;)

• Like 12

Simple i hate them but i understand why people love them , ever dog has a job and when it comes to hares they are top dog but anything that bites back, let the hardy breeds which arent as good at hares do their job eg wheaton.beddy,bull, collie ,crosses ..they dont suit me or the land i hunt or the quarry i prefer so thats why i dont like them, not hard enough..thats a view on someone who hates them..as for recall the crosses i had was perfect and a nice all round dog to deal with but just not cut for bigger game..my friend in the north has him coursing and thinks his a 5*star dog on hares and i gave that dog everthing but just wasnt built for the job...and before people have a go dont talk Sh*t that salukis are suited to all game because they are clearly not. :yes:

• Like 1

Mine come back to me , listen to me , jump im a saluki lad always will be a place in my heart for them :) but yes they are like marmite but once you know how they tick they are loyal good hard working dogs and I know they can take bigger game than hare (Pre ban ) they are capable of it maybe not all of them are capable of it but not all bull xs / Wheaton xs/ deerhound xs ect are either yes maybe for big game you'd opt for a bull x fair enough they do the job but the only way to see what salukis can do mate is watch good salukis at work you'll be suprised what they can do :thumbs:

Edited by J.DOG
  • Like 3

the red stuff is henna extracted from a plant it can be several colours including red green brown and black it has medicinal properties and acts as a mild antiseptic and is used on the feet of humans and dogs to keep them cool on hot ground it is also used for decoration on animals and on females hands for decorative patterns.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

the red stuff is henna extracted from a plant it can be several colours including red green brown and black it has medicinal properties and acts as a mild antiseptic and is used on the feet of humans and dogs to keep them cool on hot ground it can help with cuts to feet and pads it is also used for decoration on animals and on females hands for decorative patterns.