Removal Of Dewclaws Off Lurcher Pups.... What's Your Views

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again........better nipped off at two days old than ripped off at two years old!

Or brains for some of the thick kunts on here...

if you don't cut them back far enough they will grow back

I've heard that working dogs like lurchers esp have an issue with catching them and injuring them out in the field, then getting shy about things going near their legs. However healing time after removal can take a while so it would need an eye kept on it, and theres always the risk of an infection as with any surgery. Best to do it as pups as the op in adults is much harder on the dog. If your uneasy with the idea you can wrap them before they go out, we didn't get it done on our dobey but she did end up catching one bad one day and it took a few stitches to fix, the wound kept opening up too so in hindsight I would have got it done as a pup. Didn't bother as she was too old by that point so we just wrapped them up when she was off out running around.

My views exactly my first ever dog when I was a kid was a collie whippet whos dew claws were left on nothing but trouble forever catching them causing them to bleed and unnecessary suffering for the dog. I only started this thread as I have just breed my bitch and I had this discussion with a work colleague today explaining why I will need to do do this when they are born apparently I am a cruel b*****d lol ......

Atb and thanks for your comments.

why are they born with them if they serve no purpose.nature surley put them there for some reason.

What are you born with apendics ... They serve no purpose and can kill you ..?....

• Like 2