Guest long-tail

So sorry to hear that. I know you said she was old (er) but how old was she? Heart problems aren't that uncommon in older dogs.

And I'm sorry if I gave you a hard time over the photo when you first put it up. That's the problem with t'internet: we never have all the facts!

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds as though you made the right decision for the wee bitch.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if thats the case and you have tried all them things then something else is going on get your computer turned off and get down the vets

More going on with that dog than just grub, a vet is what it needs, should never be allowed to get in that condition

tripe, beef mince, brown bread, melt some lard blocks down and pour the warm fat over it

Guest long-tail

So sorry to hear that. I know you said she was old (er) but how old was she? Heart problems aren't that uncommon in older dogs.

And I'm sorry if I gave you a hard time over the photo when you first put it up. That's the problem with t'internet: we never have all the facts!

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds as though you made the right decision for the wee bitch.

not worried about getting hard time,pic may have warrented it although i dont believe so but neither here or there now,the bitch dropped the weight in a matter of a couple weeks,she would have been 2 year old next month,never mind eh cheers

Only 2 years old? I thought she was older. That's even more of a shame in that case. Worse to lose a young dog like that. I lost a young bitch many years ago: also dropped weight suddenly: turned out she had a tumour near her heart. Wasn't about to have her opened up for a very dangerous operation that only had a 80/20 chance of survival.

Re the pic: every time anyone puts a photo on the internet, remember that viewers are seeing the thing for the first time: whereas the owner has had time, maybe not a lot, to get used to the appearance of the animal. Sometimes, not always, an animal can look worse in a photo than in real life as well, though it is usually the other way round in cases of weight loss.

• Like 1

Just read the whole thread - good on you for doing the right thing, and sorry for your loss.

I didn't see the pic in question, but overall it's good that you posted it imo. Living with an animal day in, day out, it's easy to miss what others will see straight away. I did with my last old dog,

Its underweight in the 2nd pic it has nothing on its back no covering on its ribcage and looks weak between the shoulders plus the coat is dull i would put more fat into the diet add something extra to bulk it up

two different pics,its the second bitch im on about,more fat in the diet to bulk her out.........suggestions please :thumbs:

Either get a complete food that is at least 25% protein and 16% fat: this is listed on the side of the bag of dog food, OR, get some breast of lamb (ribs and flaps). Feed her twice a day: two smaller meals are better than one big meal. She needs protein (meat or meat based complete food) to put on muscle, and extra calories (fat/carbohydrate) to bulk up properly. Also, when was she last wormed and with what wormer?

26% protein are you joking? I'd find a food with about 19% and high carbohydrate, carbs put weight on a dog not protein.

Its underweight in the 2nd pic it has nothing on its back no covering on its ribcage and looks weak between the shoulders plus the coat is dull i would put more fat into the diet add something extra to bulk it up

two different pics,its the second bitch im on about,more fat in the diet to bulk her out.........suggestions please :thumbs:
Either get a complete food that is at least 25% protein and 16% fat: this is listed on the side of the bag of dog food, OR, get some breast of lamb (ribs and flaps). Feed her twice a day: two smaller meals are better than one big meal. She needs protein (meat or meat based complete food) to put on muscle, and extra calories (fat/carbohydrate) to bulk up properly. Also, when was she last wormed and with what wormer?

26% protein are you joking? I'd find a food with about 19% and high carbohydrate, carbs put weight on a dog not protein.

To be honest CSD dogs get very little nutrional value out of carbohydrates...infact a dog will and can survive happily with NONE..dry feed is almost half Carbs,it's just a cheap way of filling up the bag lol,dogs tolerate it but they do not need it...protein and fat is what a dog thrives on and raw feed covers those two without ny fuss...I aint no expert but I did read up on this many years ago lol....

To be honest CSD dogs get very little nutrional value out of carbohydrates...infact a dog will and can survive happily with NONE..dry feed is almost half Carbs,it's just a cheap way of filling up the bag lol,dogs tolerate it but they do not need it...protein and fat is what a dog thrives on and raw feed covers those two without ny fuss...I aint no expert but I did read up on this many years ago lol....

Fair point and yes, a dog will survive without carbs and thrive and do well - but for sticking weight on a dog...carbs do the business...the human obesity crisis in developed nations ain't down to eating too much protein (basic premise of the Atkins diet - no carbs masses of protein weight drops off) but from eating too many carbs in the shape of bread, biscuits and cakes etc...and a high/er protein diet ain't gonna fix that...good flesh lamb etc, quality complete around the 20% mark...and mixed with pasta/rice/brown bread and veg...get the weight on...once them old bones are covered...cut the carbs, up the protein and the work...job done... :thumbs:

• Like 1