I know for smaller birds you can inject mustard into the egg which works a treat apparently, maybe there's something like that you could try? The specs work but they can't be very nice for them to wear.

• Like 1

try to collect more frequent if possible. the longer they are in the nest the more chance of it happening. i have put in quite a few dummy eggs or golf balls etc with the hope they peck these then get bored and stop. leave them in all the time. it has worked for me and it hasnt in some cases worth a try. put oyster shell in with their food. stops soft shelled eggs. if all else fails as above.

• Like 1

i had this problem afew yr back and tried all of the above apart from the roll away nest box ? i couldnt stop the one that was doing it no matter what i did then i got a visit from old charlie boy with him taking 2 of my hens and then it stopped, he rather had a good word with them and put the shits up em or one of the 2 was the egg eater, only way to stop it is to cull the one thats doing it if you can find which one it is, atb

Thanks for the replies folks.

I had wondered about doing something with the nest box, so I'll maybe give it a bit more thought.

Whilst I'm thinking, I'll maybe give that mustard thing a go, even if just for curiosity.

Been working about 6 ft away from the henhouse today, 1 started it's squaking 'I've laid my egg' type thing, so in I goes......2 of the f**kers quite happily finishing off what was the egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe have a few hen sandwiches coming up in the next few weks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks. I had wondered about doing something with the nest box, so I'll maybe give it a bit more thought. Whilst I'm thinking, I'll maybe give that mustard thing a go, even if just for curiosity. Been working about 6 ft away from the henhouse today, 1 started it's squaking 'I've laid my egg' type thing, so in I goes......2 of the f**kers quite happily finishing off what was the egg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe have a few hen sandwiches coming up in the next few weks!

You numpty, you caught em in the act, shuda pulled there fecking heads off an then the problem wuda bin fixed ;)

I know I shoulda done that, but they're the daughters' hens, and not sure how I would of explained that to them when they noticed there were a few missing.

They'll get another few weeks to change their ways, cos I'll be away at work again, but if it's still happening when I get back, We'll have to clear some space in the freezer I think!

i use goal balls fill her nest with 3 or 4 she soon get sick of peaking them when she drops her egg use wont bother mate .........or let her laying spot be a dark place hens love laying in shady and darky places :thumbs:

• Like 1