Cheap Or Expensive Mole Traps

Probuk, I got some cheap talpex type traps years ago and found nothing wrong with them. Good strong springs, well made and still working just as well now.

If I get a half barrel bunged with soil I usually think it's something I've done wrong. I don't rush putting in traps but we all make mistakes sometimes. Think why the mole might have backfilled it, and set again in the same place with more care. You should catch it within the next 24hrs. Others may have different opinions, would be interesting to hear.

To the OP the flat pack traps are brilliant, a couple of tweaks and they're as good as you can get IMO. Have you put any of them in the ground yet?

The one you can see in the picture was put in this evening, so just hopeing it works out..ive never used them before. Ive got the cheap talpex types all over the place, i never seem to fail with them, its almost 100% catch rate for me using them and i dont find live moles in them so they do the job.. I love the fenn trap aswell..works spot on almost everytime i put one in.

Atb

Marty

If you haven't caught one in the morning consider moving it. The trap doesn't look like it's set tight enough for my liking. Set it in tighter in another good location and it should do the job,

Sorry to p1ss on your bonfire, but I do mean it as some friendly advice - as I use these all the time.

If there's a mole in it tomorrow then well done.

Hey i realy dont mind, it took me months to suss out how to set a trap when i started out and a few months more to perfect it, i tought myself. Its tighter than it actually looks in the picture, but il take your advice wisley :thumbs:

Im up at 3.30am after a fox so time for bed...

Cheers for the advice

Atb

Marty

To stop it digging your mole traps up? :tongue2:

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

whendoing farms i'm doing at least 3 visits, I use 99% half barrels, the odd time I set a talpex in a likely run, plus whatever other traps I'm playing with at the time. on second visit bunged traps g

I only really use half barrels as you can catch 2, why do an extra visit when you can catch them at same time. If I get 1 bunged I replace it with a talpex.

Like most pro molecatchers, I get double catches all year round.   Moles are territorial, so they are always trying to take over neighbouring territories.   If your traps are getting blocked, the

Probuk, I got some cheap talpex type traps years ago and found nothing wrong with them. Good strong springs, well made and still working just as well now.

If I get a half barrel bunged with soil I usually think it's something I've done wrong. I don't rush putting in traps but we all make mistakes sometimes. Think why the mole might have backfilled it, and set again in the same place with more care. You should catch it within the next 24hrs. Others may have different opinions, would be interesting to hear.

To the OP the flat pack traps are brilliant, a couple of tweaks and they're as good as you can get IMO. Have you put any of them in the ground yet?

The one you can see in the picture was put in this evening, so just hopeing it works out..ive never used them before. Ive got the cheap talpex types all over the place, i never seem to fail with them, its almost 100% catch rate for me using them and i dont find live moles in them so they do the job.. I love the fenn trap aswell..works spot on almost everytime i put one in.

Atb

Marty

If you haven't caught one in the morning consider moving it. The trap doesn't look like it's set tight enough for my liking. Set it in tighter in another good location and it should do the job,

Sorry to p1ss on your bonfire, but I do mean it as some friendly advice - as I use these all the time.

Hey i realy dont mind, it took me months to suss out how to set a trap when i started out and a few months more to perfect it, i tought myself. Its tighter than it actually looks in the picture, but il take your advice wisley :thumbs:

Im up at 3.30am after a fox so time for bed...

Cheers for the advice

Atb

Marty

To stop it digging your mole traps up? :tongue2:

Lost 4 recently :thumbs:

I guess that makes sence..Put barrel's down so you dont have to do an extra visit because you can catch 2. But if you get one barrel bunged up you put a Talpex down...Got you Mate :thumbs:

:hmm: Hang on a sec

When do you go back for the Talpex :unsure:

Atb

Marty :thumbs:

Edited by Probuk

whendoing farms i'm doing at least 3 visits, I use 99% half barrels, the odd time I set a talpex in a likely run, plus whatever other traps I'm playing with at the time. on second visit bunged traps get replaced with talpex. If I get a double the first time,bonus, but if Ihad used talpex for all my trapping then I wouldnt have got any doubles, meaning those travelling moles looking for a mate would of turned up somewhere else. not rocket science.

There is no right or wrong just different ways. It pays my bills, i dont need to prove myself against anybody elses opinion.

Pest control and fieldsports seems to breed self made experts quicker than anything else iv ever seen.

• Like 2

Fair comment Dido, but i think moles only breed between march and may so there not always looking for a mate. Mole tunnels tend to cross over another moles tunnels more than often, i think this is why you get a few double's early on in the year. I lay a few traps in the main highways inbetween fence post or in the hedge rows..I sometimes get four in the same trap in just a matter of day's. I might put upto 3 traps in 1 hedge row or between fence posts. Infact most my traps are laid like that and the odd 1 or 2 are in amoung the feeding grounds.

I think all mole catchers have there own little ways and ideas of catching moles..Personaly i always follow the hills back to the hedge row and find where there coming in at first and set the first trap there, then set one for the mole in the feeding ground.

Most my moleing is done localy so i dont have to do the long distances some might do, so i can check my traps twice a day most of the time.

Im by no means an expert, im just a simple self tought mole catcher that loves catching and chatting about moles.

Marty :thumbs:

Atb

Marty

When i set duffus mole traps to get them set tight i take some soil and make a clump in my hand and pack it in tight at the side of the mole trap.Doing this has only give me one filled in trap.I only started 1 month ago so it must work.

Nice one Tom..i checked my traps lastnight...out of 4 talpex type i had 3 moles...the barrel was stuffed full of soil. Back to the drawing bord lol.

I would say that if you're getting barrels plugged regularly you need to look at your trigger settings perhaps.

Nice one Tom..i checked my traps lastnight...out of 4 talpex type i had 3 moles...the barrel was stuffed full of soil. Back to the drawing bord lol.

I would say that if you're getting barrels plugged regularly you need to look at your trigger settings perhaps.

Its the first id set. From what the bloke told me..it tuned but its a new trap so maybe not. Il see him later and find out.

If it is bunged up with soil you probably are not setting it right,When I started mole catching i just had to go off things of the internet i got all my traps set off bunged with soil but ever since i used that little tip i got off one of the masters of mole trapping i was on my way and i soon caught my first mole,some people might have read the topic i started about catching my first mole and since then i have caught 16 mole using 5 traps.I still am waiting for the day i come to a trap and i have caught two moles

Like most pro molecatchers, I get double catches all year round.

Moles are territorial, so they are always trying to take over neighbouring territories.

If your traps are getting blocked, the mole knows they are there. The first a mole should know about a trap is when he hits the trigger and sets it off. The other common cause for moles blocking traps is a failure for the trap to fire for reasons including frozen triggers, and faulty or badly tuned triggers.

• Like 2

Atb

Marty

When i set duffus mole traps to get them set tight i take some soil and make a clump in my hand and pack it in tight at the side of the mole trap.Doing this has only give me one filled in trap.I only started 1 month ago so it must work.

If it is bunged up with soil you probably are not setting it right,When I started mole catching i just had to go off things of the internet i got all my traps set off bunged with soil but ever since i used that little tip i got off one of the masters of mole trapping i was on my way and i soon caught my first mole,some people might have read the topic i started about catching my first mole and since then i have caught 16 mole using 5 traps.I still am waiting for the day i come to a trap and i have caught two moles

Your a fast learner Tom ! LOL Errr ...Ummm..... this time of year ,when you ACCIDENTLY forget to check a trap or two,for a few days,theres a fair chance youll lift one out ,with a double capture . he-he

Atb

Marty

>

Your a fast learner Tom ! LOL Errr ...Ummm..... this time of year ,when you ACCIDENTLY forget to check a trap or two,for a few days,theres a fair chance youll lift one out ,with a double capture . he-he

It a good job i had the other mole catcher to show me what to do and if i was asking for tips of a mole catcher he would be my first man cos boy is he good