Cheap Or Expensive Mole Traps

I was looking to purchase some "duffus" style mole traps and was looking through all well known suppliers websites and picked out two suppliers, i opted for cheap traps from one and some little more expensive traps from the other, just to see difference in quality, workmanship, delivery etc both were delivered this week and the difference was staggering, the only thing they had in common was delivery which only took a couple days but the quality, material used and workmanship was a massive difference, i understand that you get what you pay for and all that but I did not realise that some traps out there are total rubbish .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

whendoing farms i'm doing at least 3 visits, I use 99% half barrels, the odd time I set a talpex in a likely run, plus whatever other traps I'm playing with at the time. on second visit bunged traps g

I only really use half barrels as you can catch 2, why do an extra visit when you can catch them at same time. If I get 1 bunged I replace it with a talpex.

Like most pro molecatchers, I get double catches all year round.   Moles are territorial, so they are always trying to take over neighbouring territories.   If your traps are getting blocked, the

Well lets look at this from another angel..if you where out on the beer tonight and you managed to pull a fit bit of stuff...before you go home together she says she fancys somthing to eat. Do you take her to the chippy or would you take her for a Chinese.???

Lets say you go buy a new car, a car made in England of course...would you find it exceptable if the salesman says.."you'll need to give it a bit of a tune here and there to get it to work effectivley.??

I bought a load of Talpex traps last year..and more recently, i just happend to stumble across a post say..If its a genuine Talpex..it will have Talpex printed on the trigger blade...I looked at mine and..yep you may have guest..no talpex printed on the trigger blade.

Now it been bought to my attention that the traps i recently bought off ebay have a much stronger spring than the talpex traps i paid £6 each for.

In my opinion..all four type traps i use do the same as job as the other. Look at it this way..if you can afford traps at £6 to £13 then go for it. If however your not aswell off as some more fortunate people then go for a trap that only cost £2. If your making a few quid at it then your quids in.. If your only doing it as a goodwill gesture for return of permission they'll do the job..if you know how to set it right.

If your intending on doing it on a proffessional leavel...then listen to the pro's..

Marty

Well lets look at this from another angel..if you where out on the beer tonight and you managed to pull a fit bit of stuff...before you go home together she says she fancys somthing to eat. Do you take her to the chippy or would you take her for a Chinese.???

Lets say you go buy a new car, a car made in England of course...would you find it exceptable if the salesman says.."you'll need to give it a bit of a tune here and there to get it to work effectivley.??

I bought a load of Talpex traps last year..and more recently, i just happend to stumble across a post say..If its a genuine Talpex..it will have Talpex printed on the trigger blade...I looked at mine and..yep you may have guest..no talpex printed on the trigger blade.

Now it been bought to my attention that the traps i recently bought off ebay have a much stronger spring than the talpex traps i paid £6 each for.

In my opinion..all four type traps i use do the same as job as the other. Look at it this way..if you can afford traps at £6 to £13 then go for it. If however your not aswell off as some more fortunate people then go for a trap that only cost £2. If your making a few quid at it then your quids in.. If your only doing it as a goodwill gesture for return of permission they'll do the job..if you know how to set it right.

If your intending on doing it on a proffessional leavel...then listen to the pro's..

Marty

as I said I bought them to compare and thought there was a massive difference, just my opinion,

and where will I find these pro's ?

For years I used my dads traps, eventually I needed some new ones so ordered 20 from a gamekeeper supplies company, patrick pinker, when they arrived they were of the 'Big cheese' variety. I set all 20, 2 days later I checked them and I had 3 dead moles, 16 bunged traps and on the last one I had a mole in it, as I pulled it out I noticed it was still alive as it pulled its head out the trap and diapeared back down the hole. Some of the springs were so weak I could happily stick my fingers in them to set them off and easily pull my fingers back out. I had been in such a rush I hadnt even checked them out. Try setting a flat pack trap off with your little finger!

You have got to be seriously hard up to not be able to buy british.

• Like 1

Well as it goes iv just aquierd a few flatpack traps..barrel and a talpex type..or it might me a talpex..not sure. Iv just layed them both. I must admit that the talpex type is an absolut monster compaired to the type im using at the moment and its compleatley clear that no mole will survive when it goes into that trap. As for the barrel..well thats a bit of an evil object aswell.!! iv never used barrels before and the bloke iv got them off says he has more luck with the talpex. He reckons he only ever get the barrels bunged up with soil.

Atb

Marty

Edited by Probuk

For years I used my dads traps, eventually I needed some new ones so ordered 20 from a gamekeeper supplies company, patrick pinker, when they arrived they were of the 'Big cheese' variety. I set all 20, 2 days later I checked them and I had 3 dead moles, 16 bunged traps and on the last one I had a mole in it, as I pulled it out I noticed it was still alive as it pulled its head out the trap and diapeared back down the hole. Some of the springs were so weak I could happily stick my fingers in them to set them off and easily pull my fingers back out. I had been in such a rush I hadnt even checked them out. Try setting a flat pack trap off with your little finger!

I agree. When I was asked to do some mole catching by the farmer here he bought the traps from a French garden centre. They were absolute schite. So I got him to agree to buying a few better traps. He paid for 4 cheap tunnel traps and two Talpex type bought from a web site claiming to be a pro' trapper who used these traps himself blah, blah, blah. The barrel traps lasted a couple of weeks and always got filled and the Talpex type less than a week. In the end I bought some Flatpack traps and some Talpex traps myself so I could use them off the farm for a bit of pocket money. I've never looked back. The barrel traps are rarely filled, in fact I can't remember the last time they were and the Talpex and Flatpack claw traps are equally reliable. There is barely a mole left on the farm now. :D

If you are spending time and money traveling to jobs and doing the work of locating and digging why waste your time and money on traps that don't work? It's crazy.

• Like 1

If you are spending time and money traveling to jobs and doing the work of locating and digging why waste your time and money on traps that don't work? It's crazy.

Could not agree more :thumbs:

This is the first Barrel trap I've laid..I'll be gutted if theres no mole and its bunged up with soil tomorrow.

I also laid the Talpex type, top right of this picture...

Both flat packs, the bottom trap is the cheap Talpex type ive been using very succesfully for a few years.

As seen here

099.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Edited by Probuk

Probuk, I got some cheap talpex type traps years ago and found nothing wrong with them. Good strong springs, well made and still working just as well now.

If I get a half barrel bunged with soil I usually think it's something I've done wrong. I don't rush putting in traps but we all make mistakes sometimes. Think why the mole might have backfilled it, and set again in the same place with more care. You should catch it within the next 24hrs. Others may have different opinions, would be interesting to hear.

To the OP the flat pack traps are brilliant, a couple of tweaks and they're as good as you can get IMO. Have you put any of them in the ground yet?

• Like 1

Probuk, I got some cheap talpex type traps years ago and found nothing wrong with them. Good strong springs, well made and still working just as well now.

If I get a half barrel bunged with soil I usually think it's something I've done wrong. I don't rush putting in traps but we all make mistakes sometimes. Think why the mole might have backfilled it, and set again in the same place with more care. You should catch it within the next 24hrs. Others may have different opinions, would be interesting to hear.

To the OP the flat pack traps are brilliant, a couple of tweaks and they're as good as you can get IMO. Have you put any of them in the ground yet?

The one you can see in the picture was put in this evening, so just hopeing it works out..ive never used them before. Ive got the cheap talpex types all over the place, i never seem to fail with them, its almost 100% catch rate for me using them and i dont find live moles in them so they do the job.. I love the fenn trap aswell..works spot on almost everytime i put one in.

I think il get into these barrel traps though and pick up some decent talpex traps.

Atb

Marty

Edited by Probuk

The one you can see in the picture was put in this evening, so just hopeing it works out..ive never used them before. Ive got the cheap talpex types all over the place, i never seem to fail with them, its almost 100% catch rate for me using them and i dont find live moles in them so they do the job.. I love the fenn trap aswell..works spot on almost everytime i put one in.

Atb

Marty

If you haven't caught one in the morning consider moving it. The trap doesn't look like it's set tight enough for my liking. Set it in tighter in another good location and it should do the job,

Sorry to p1ss on your bonfire, but I do mean it as some friendly advice - as I use these all the time.

If there's a mole in it tomorrow then well done.

• Like 1

Atb

Marty

If you haven't caught one in the morning consider moving it. The trap doesn't look like it's set tight enough for my liking. Set it in tighter in another good location and it should do the job,

Sorry to p1ss on your bonfire, but I do mean it as some friendly advice - as I use these all the time.

If there's a mole in it tomorrow then well done.

Hey i realy dont mind, it took me months to suss out how to set a trap when i started out and a few months more to perfect it, i tought myself. Its tighter than it actually looks in the picture, but il take your advice wisley :thumbs:

Im up at 3.30am after a fox so time for bed...

Cheers for the advice

Atb

Marty