Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

I'm not aware of that litter, nor do I know any of the people you mention. I take it that the sire and dam to this litter were both well tried singlehanded dogs. If so, I find it incredibly strange that not one of the pups has taken any of the parents traits. If the parents weren't all round singlehanded dogs why were they used to breed this litter?

With regards to coming on slowly, you yourself don't enter your dogs until around 16 months and I applaud that. Too many people are trying to rush puppies into work. I'd expect any DH X to be working at that age. My current dog, who is allegedly from Doxhope lines, started lamped bunnies at 9 months and has progressed from there. He's currently 2 and doing all I ask. Prior to his first lamping trips he was out with me and the gun and catty. I don't consider his progress to be slow but then again I wouldn't expect a big dog to be physically mature to do too much too young.

I ain't after a row. I merely putting my opinions across, as are you.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

I'm not aware of that litter, nor do I know any of the people you mention. I take it that the sire and dam to this litter were both well tried singlehanded dogs. If so, I find it incredibly strange that not one of the pups has taken any of the parents traits. If the parents weren't all round singlehanded dogs why were they used to breed this litter?

With regards to coming on slowly, you yourself don't enter your dogs until around 16 months and I applaud that. Too many people are trying to rush puppies into work. I'd expect any DH X to be working at that age. My current dog, who is allegedly from Doxhope lines, started lamped bunnies at 9 months and has progressed from there. He's currently 2 and doing all I ask. Prior to his first lamping trips he was out with me and the gun and catty. I don't consider his progress to be slow but then again I wouldn't expect a big dog to be physically mature to do too much too young.

I ain't after a row. I merely putting my opinions across, as are you.

A greyhound runs round a track, and yes I think most big deerhounds can kill fox. All this bull about greyhounds needing to be worked like a Lurcher I don't buy it, most greyhounds used for Lurcher breeding are track dogs or at best they used to be double handed coursing dogs not breed to kill, they put the speed, the bull and Wheaton xs such dogs still do the job.

The ones I had took rabbit in there first season, I didn't do that much of it in case I damaged them but rabbit is no big deal.

Can your current dog take multiple quarrie in a day/ night week in week out, has it got large numbers under its belt or has it just took the odd thing only you will know this answer truthfully.

There's a few on here that've seen my dog run. He can run all night if needed and as long as the quarry's there he can take it.

I wouldn't say he's got big numbers under his belt. I've got a business to run and a family to please. I can only manège to get out lamping a few times a week. But he's not catching any less than the dogs my pals work.

I think greyhounds differ a lot.I don't think enough thought is given to their use in the production of lurchers.

When greyhounds are retired into pet homes they differ tremendously in temperament.Some can be taught within days to leave cats, small dogs and other furries well alone. Others can never be trusted and have to be muzzled and never let off the lead.

I would prefer to use a greyhound that is ballsy and which, preferably has shown its courage in the field. Although trying to train an ex track dog to not run kamikaze style is difficult to say the least.

As I say, I'm convinced poor greyhound choice is behind a lot of the deer/grey failures.

From what I can gather there's nothing wrong with deerhound working blood and never has been, so the fault must lie with the greyhound blood.

There's a few on here that've seen my dog run. He can run all night if needed and as long as the quarry's there he can take it.

I wouldn't say he's got big numbers under his belt. I've got a business to run and a family to please. I can only manège to get out lamping a few times a week. But he's not catching any less than the dogs my pals work.

I'm in exactly the same situation and it can be a chore at times lamping and getting up for work but I owe to the dog to test it to its maximum, and 2 good nights a week can still produce good numbers.

If people have seen your dogs run and they can and do take the gear fair play to you.

Now I have been following this thread for couple of days now and think people need honest view . I run a doxhope deer grey out of same litter as chartpolskis bitch and he ain't no world beater !! Quite frustrating really some nights bang on other nights will run a mile and not commit . I bought him for a certain job and done ok but seen better ie rockenhart ( mates dog ) and the pup I just bought in is out of pharcourse lines still deerhound but not so mass produced . Now my doxhope dog is all what this breed is and should be at home handsome good formation and cracking temperament but in field I would say only full fills 80% of potential . Now I believe a dog is here for life not one/two seasons no good get rid and when he dies would I by another I'd have to say ???? Think I'd go 3/4 grey 1/4 deer bred or find the lads who are really working there deerhounds and that includes some doxhope owners ( Irish lads )

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of pure greys for work but agree that poor choice of Greyhound blood can result in mediocre offspring.

Do you think the grey blood was a problem in the failed litter you mentioned B C?

I don't think you can say for sure but..

My brothers bitch was off Trevor's open class greyhound x doxhope boots.

my bitch was to an open class short distance bitchgreyhound a greyhound man had that he took to busard which is boots brother both owned by Trevor cooks.

I will say both we're the last left and smallest bitchs from their litters but then again we give them the best of food mine Finnished 25 my brothers 26 both fast well put together bitchs bill doherty said as much when he see a pic of them.

if they failed and the others were stronger and done the job I'd say it was down to them being the Harry picks.

Life's not an experiment carried out under controlled lab conditions so who knows? not me I'm not that clever,

I just run them, lol.

• Like 1

Now I have been following this thread for couple of days now and think people need honest view . I run a doxhope deer grey out of same litter as chartpolskis bitch and he ain't no world beater !! Quite frustrating really some nights bang on other nights will run a mile and not commit . I bought him for a certain job and done ok but seen better ie rockenhart ( mates dog ) and the pup I just bought in is out of pharcourse lines still deerhound but not so mass produced . Now my doxhope dog is all what this breed is and should be at home handsome good formation and cracking temperament but in field I would say only full fills 80% of potential . Now I believe a dog is here for life not one/two seasons no good get rid and when he dies would I by another I'd have to say ???? Think I'd go 3/4 grey 1/4 deer bred or find the lads who are really working there deerhounds and that includes some doxhope owners ( Irish lads )

Good honest post davey,

we differ in whether we keep our dogs that don't meet our expectations and were we go next iv gone a racey worker to worker wheaton bull greyhound as appoused to a diffrent line of deerhound x but your description of you experience seem familiar to my own memory's.

Even thought about breeding my own but will have to wait for that !!! Time family money wIfe would kill me !!! Easier to bring one in got high hope for pup 7 months 26tts and neck chest are massive good built pup !! You just got to love a deer cross kennel blind some say , I say I got to feed it so I'm going to choose it

Well if this is true that worked and proven dh x parents with failed litters just goes to shoe that proven stock is shit. Hancock has a right ribbin, but his pups turn out good from what I hear. Or are people telling porkies and doing something wrong raising the pups?

Well if this is true that worked and proven dh x parents with failed litters just goes to shoe that proven stock is not necessary. Hancock has a right ribbin, but his pups turn out good from what I hear. Or are people telling porkies and doing something wrong raising the pups?

Well if this is true that worked and proven dh x parents with failed litters just goes to shoe that proven stock is shit. Hancock has a right ribbin, but his pups turn out good from what I hear. Or are people telling porkies and doing something wrong raising the pups?

The proportion of hancock pups making the grade will be no more or less than any other litter of c/gh being produced out of un proven, non working parents.

As for the dhx failure rates etc.. I have written stuff out.. then thought better of it and deleted so many times that its doing my head in.. A very frustrating thread to read as someone with 2 fully working dh lurchers

Be fair to the litter and Trevor have they all been taken by men who's main objective is owning an all around dog that MUST take ALL QUARIE. Even if your not an out and out fox man which I'm not really you really should test a big dog like a first x on all challenging quarrie.

I can't say that I can vouch for all the people who had the pups but I can say the 2 we had got every chance to take all quarrie.

Don't want to be biased so to highlight the Platts bitch I had aswell ended up showing she had a heart the size of a pea and I put a nice bit in front of her some of witch she took but I'm the 1 who chooses what stuff we run not her!