Gypsy Fighters

I've followed Marky B's thread "Rough Fight" - terrific fight if anyone hasn't watched it ! - and it got me wondering. I know Tyson Fury is doing well at the moment, and a few fighters have called themselves "Gypsy" this, that or the other over the years. But, since fighting/boxing is an important part of gypsy/traveller culture and some are clearly very good, why don't we see more of these fighters higher up and more successful in the professional ranks ?

i know there is probably a good few guys on here who know a bit about this, so I'd be interested to know what anyone thinks.

• Like 2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reason most of these Gypsy boys cant make it in the pro game of boxing is they are brought up with the complete wrong mentality !........It seems to be ingrained in their culture to be " up for it

Its easier & faster ''Fleecing old pensioners'' .............that's why.

Big difference between queensberry rules and bare knuckle fighting

If someone is good there good doesn't matter where they come from and how they were brought up.

Just like any other sport.

I suppose many dont make it in the professional ring because the dont have the discipline to train professionally and prepared to give up their social lives and change their diet.

Its all about devotion, fury himself has only just started training "properly" and eating "properly" he has only winged it up to recently.

Natural talent only carries you so far then its about devotion to your sport and training that carries you on to be a champ I suppose, I never heard of Joe calzaghe boozing at weekends.

• Like 1

Think the gypsy community we're more segregated in the past,and maybe kept their own style of bare knuckle fighting amongst their own kind,very brutal way of fighting,no 1 minute rest after every 3 minutes of fighting,even after being knocked out it was up to the fighter if he wanted to continue or not,that shows some serious gameness,imagine wanting to fight as soon as you come round from a k o,remember the gypsy johnny frankham held a pro world title for a short while

If someone is good there good doesn't matter where they come from and how they were brought up.

I suppose many dont make it in the professional ring because the dont have the discipline to train professionally and prepared to give up their social lives and change their diet.

Its all about devotion, fury himself has only just started training "properly" and eating "properly" he has only winged it up to recently.

Natural talent only carries you so far then its about devotion to your sport and training that carries you on to be a champ I suppose, I never heard of Joe calzaghe boozing at weekends.

I remember joe calzaghe once saying,he only ever sparred using light contact,why get hit hard in the gym you get enough of that in the fight,considering how successful his career was,who can argue with him ?

I remember joe calzaghe once saying,he only ever sparred using light contact,why get hit hard in the gym you get enough of that in the fight,considering how successful his career was,who can argue with him ?

I remember a friends wife saying he was too pretty to box, maybe that's why :D

I remember a friends wife saying he was too pretty to box, maybe that's why :D

Did'nt need to box with all his 30 shot combos lol

Guest thebigdog

it comes down to desire and discipline me thinks. how many settled lads were good boxers/footballers or whatever, good enough to make it pro, then pissed it all away. girls, beer, drugs, partying, or just the everyday shite that life can throw at you, all can keep your dreams, just that, dreams. :yes:

Most young travellers children are taken to amateur gyms and there's loads of decent amateur travellers . Although not many make it to the pro ranks ! From what I've seen most seem to stop in there teens . I think leading the spartan lifestyle of a pro fighter comes hard to most travelling men . There's a decent young pro called billy joe Saunders worth watching out for.

• Like 2

To be honest Max, I'm glad it's not a question of family honour that I have to fight any bloke that calls me out whenever he feels like it, but on the whole I think I'd agree with you.

Just as a sideline here, I used to go to the same gym as Fidel Castro Smith (Slugger O'Toole), who I think lost a big fight to Henry Wharton in (about) '92/'93.