Most Underrated And Overrated X's

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive got a bull x lurcher , who will listen to commands , hand signals, whistle and retrieves live to hand but will kill a fox (legal here) he will hunt up on command ,ferret , work with terriers or sp

There's no such thing, each dog is an individual not matter what cross and will either be shite, mediocre or good.

Nah, the real ones are still there - just not on the internet like ferkin celebrity wannabe's

But a staff is one of the most biddable and trainable terriers you will find, different in nature but as smart as most collie crosses I have ever seen......terriers are on the whole pretty intelligent dogs.

You could have the Stephen Hawkin of dogs in your kennel but he won't catch much in his wheelchair

What about the beddy/whippet and whippet greyhound, why do you rate one and not the other?

Never understood the bull blood brigade, I've always felt a good natured staff would be much better in temp for lurcher breeding imo, atb :thumbs:

Collie grey underrated and always mocked. Deerhound mid way and saluki and bull. Overrated hyped up shit talk

I agree collie greyhounds are underrated despite it being one of the best "allround" x that you can have. Especially when you compare it to someone bragging about their stupid staff x

Again, why?

Well in my opinion having a smart dog is far more valuable that having just speed or jaw strength as if a dog is intelligent it will be fare more successful on a larger range of quarry. Know don't get me wrong bull x's can be useful on the bigger species (Fox and Deer) but my argument is that a smarter dog will better for hunting and as a companion as it will be able to listen to your commands which is useful for retrieving and other things.

ive got a bull x lurcher , who will listen to commands , hand signals, whistle and retrieves live to hand but will kill a fox (legal here) he will hunt up on command ,ferret , work with terriers or spaniels, let me shoot over him and is good in the house and around the kids .... just because one or 2 maybe are owned by numpties who dont know how to train a dog dont mean there all bad :thumbs:

:o Kin el mate, is your dog descended from lassie!? :D

Collie grey underrated and always mocked. Deerhound mid way and saluki and bull. Overrated hyped up shit talk

I agree collie greyhounds are underrated despite it being one of the best "allround" x that you can have. Especially when you compare it to someone bragging about their stupid staff x

Again, why?

Well in my opinion having a smart dog is far more valuable that having just speed or jaw strength as if a dog is intelligent it will be fare more successful on a larger range of quarry. Know don't get me wrong bull x's can be useful on the bigger species (Fox and Deer) but my argument is that a smarter dog will better for hunting and as a companion as it will be able to listen to your commands which is useful for retrieving and other things.

ive got a bull x lurcher , who will listen to commands , hand signals, whistle and retrieves live to hand but will kill a fox (legal here) he will hunt up on command ,ferret , work with terriers or spaniels, let me shoot over him and is good in the house and around the kids .... just because one or 2 maybe are owned by numpties who dont know how to train a dog dont mean there all bad :thumbs:

no he is just a clever dog and picks things up easy, didnt fire a gun near him till this year (he is 5) wouldnt be able to trust him not to run in with the gun all the time...

, i do things over the summer month to keep us occupied :laugh: like teaching him to lie and roll over :laugh:

i think most lurchers will be able to do what mine can and most would be better at it , to me a lurcher shouldnt be a one trick point and slip dog they should be jack of all trades ..

• Like 3

Again, why?

no he is just a clever dog and picks things up easy, didnt fire a gun near him till this year (he is 5) wouldnt be able to trust him not to run in with the gun all the time...

, i do things over the summer month to keep us occupied :laugh: like teaching him to lie and roll over :laugh:

i think most lurchers will be able to do what mine can and most would be better at it , to me a lurcher shouldnt be a one trick point and slip dog they should be jack of all trades ..

:thumbs: Fair enough mate lol, what % of bull in your dog?

Again, why?

sire was a 5/8 grey 3/8 bull dam was beddy/whippet x wheaten/grey :thumbs:

DSCF6049_zpse93f5280.jpg

quiet in the house :laugh:

alfie023.jpg

• Like 1

I don't care what people buy it their choice i just wish people would put a bit of consideration before they buy that is all.

Ok, now I see you have started a few " lets see this" and " what do you think about that" type threads........there's many more experienced lads on here than me but for what it's worth my advice would be forget about the cross, get something from a litter where the parents are doing what you want your dog to do.

If you like a particular type, then look for a litter of that type but again, with parents doing what you want your dog to do.

If you feel that, in the event of the ban being lifted, you may want to tackle bigger game then go for a bigger more powerful type of cross of whatever make up with parents that are doing the job

Most of all, go for a cross you can stand to look at and that suits your personality.....nothing worse than having a dog in the kennel you hate and can't get on with.

Don't worry about one thing being better than the other, there are too many variables, as I said before there's only good, mediocre and shite no matter what cross they are

so for talking sakes whats a greyhound for ? and say a collie ?

I don't fully understand your question matey?......I am talking about lurchers

proper lurchers are dyeing out imo. everythings got bull in it now, soon lurchers will all be smooth coated with a big head :thumbdown:

There dying out for the same reason the bow and arrow died out....

Because the gun came along!

You get lemons like that Geoff having to pedal tumblers having to take out a half page add to sell his over priced over hyped hairy dogs.

Nearly all coursing men run saluki xs and a lot of people who do around lamping use lurchers with some bull in the reason is they get results end of.

Don't get me wrong I can't see why anyone would keep a heavy breed bullxs, but there's nothing better to fire a Lurcher up than a dash of bull in there somewhere.

I'd love to see the deerhound lurcher back amongst working owners but I owned 1 and my brother had 1 we slowly entered them until they were 2yo but they produced no real results!

I'm not blinkered like some I'd and have keept any breed that could work. I'd say at present.

Bedlington whippet, as I brings nothing to the table a good whippet can't and is slower.

Deerhound x greyhound, because too many keep them for there romantic appearance.

• Like 2

Again, why?

sire was a 5/8 grey 3/8 bull dam was beddy/whippet x wheaten/grey :thumbs:

DSCF6049_zpse93f5280.jpg

quiet in the house :laugh:

alfie023.jpg

:thumbs: Looks fit, and relaxed lol :thumbs:

proper lurchers are dyeing out imo. everythings got bull in it now, soon lurchers will all be smooth coated with a big head :thumbdown:

There dying out for the same reason the bow and arrow died out....

Because the gun came along!

You get lemons like that Geoff having to pedal tumblers having to take out a half page add to sell his over priced over hyped hairy dogs.

Nearly all coursing men run saluki xs and a lot of people who do around lamping use lurchers with some bull in the reason is they get results end of.

Don't get me wrong I can't see why anyone would keep a heavy breed bullxs, but there's nothing better to fire a Lurcher up than a dash of bull in there somewhere.

I'd love to see the deerhound lurcher back amongst working owners but I owned 1 and my brother had 1 we slowly entered them until they were 2yo but they produced no real results!

I'm not blinkered like some I'd and have keept any breed that could work. I'd say at present.

Bedlington whippet, as I brings nothing to the table a good whippet can't and is slower.

Deerhound x greyhound, because too many keep them for there romantic appearance.

Do you not think that 2 years is a little soon to be writing any x off, let alone deerhound x's? I know not all deerhounds are slow to mature, but the majority of them do take a bit of time to get it together. Our bitch's dam is a 1st x deer/grey 26.5" tts, and was catching regularly at a comparatively young age, sire is 1st x collie/grey 25" tts, but our bitch 29" tts, who'll be 3 the end of may and only started to show she was ready at about 2, alot later than either parent, but her sister, who's also 26.5" tts, same as dam, retrieved her 1st hare at 16 months. Not having a dig, just saying whatever x you've got, some will be ready quicker than others. And of the people I know with 1st x deer /greys, they are far from any way romantically inclined lol, and wouldn't keep ANY dog unless it was doing a damned good job. A T B :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2