Out With Od

Well lads the season is coming to a end once again for me ,i alway finish at the end of february, i think the hounds and terriers would be glad to see it finish as well,we hunt twice a week wednesday and sunday,both teams of terriermen have had their work cut out the last couple of weeks,the hounds have been putting in and cold marking silly numbers to ground,just for example last wednesday,hounds were unloaded from the trailer in the farmyard they went 500 yards up the field and cold marked one straight away a blow on the horn and the terriers were there i carried on and left them to it,hounds entered a good size gorse and bramble bank gave it a good look but there was nothing there so we moved on to the next cover, by the time i had walked across a field i could hear hounds had found their drag,good bit of scent on this one they were in good cry going down the valley,they hunted him for about 20 minutes then went quiet ,it came over the cb then,that they had stopped at a earth,i could hear hounds marking so made my way on down,as i got there a few hounds had pushed on and found another one ,so we left that one in the ground and told the terriermen where he was,they had just accounted for the first one and said they would make their way over,by the time they caught up with us the hounds had ran this one to ground,so i said come over here first,hounds up on the bank a young bitch was entered and she found her drag straight away within 5 minutes out he popped he broke out towards the field a farmer missing with two shots,hounds were away again in good fashion beleive it or not running this one back to ground again where the second had gone,so we knew that there was two in there,once again another young bitch was entered finding her drag this one was dug to and accounted for,while all of this was going on i had a first year dog out with me,he had dug himself in and was marking another part of the earth,this hound was given to me from the dungannon foxhounds over in northen ireland when i took hounds out there last december,a great bunch of boys,well i will say oliver he is as good as his oldman,anyway another terrier was dropped in hounds held back ,out he went hounds viewing him as he went,a good cry again up the valley hunting him for about 10 minutes before he was accounted for by one of the guns,a call on the cb to say another drag had bolted and do you want me to hallo hounds on,hounds went back to the hallo finding the line and away they went,scent on this one was good in the cover but once he ran the fields they struggled to stick with him or her as it was losing the line,i then decided to cross over the road and do a fresh patch of woodland,hounds crossing over the field hitting a line and away again a single shot rang out ,another one accounted for but hounds were still hunting 10 minutes into the hunt and this one also goes to ground,a blow on the horn and the terriers were there choking on their collars,all saying my go ,one of the young bitches was entered again finding her drag at 1.2 on the box,a quick dig and another one accounted for,6 in the ground on the day,two weeks earlier we had 7 in the ground in one day, thats why i call these two months the silly months ,i know im out for control,but,here's a couple of pics for you,atb od

HPIM1328.jpg

HPIM1332.jpg

• Like 11

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads the season is coming to a end once again for me ,i alway finish at the end of february, i think the hounds and terriers would be glad to see it finish as well,we hunt twice a week wednesday

lol midweeks used to be a day off work for the odd dig with the terriers, this year its been like a second job for me with this pack, both terriers and hounds and men will be glad of the rest in the

i would say the beagle/harrier blood introduced from Dungannon pack has taken them up a level....................................................................... :snack:

lol midweeks used to be a day off work for the odd dig with the terriers,

this year its been like a second job for me with this pack,

both terriers and hounds and men will be glad of the rest in the summer,

• Like 1