Longest Run.

and anyone who has run the fens reguarly will tell you not all of it is massive land ,there are some small plots with lots of cover around where the hare will head for every time . the type of land the match boys dont like running :thumbs:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plodding behind till the hare eventually runs out of steam...... Not my idea of coursing or enjoyment. All this worship for dogs that take 6 minutes to catch a hare, where does this come from? Serious

Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs w

To my mind it's a waste of a good hare to kick it out the seat then throw your dog on top of it !

ive never run the fens so i cant comment but i just wouldnt be happy watching my dog run a hare into the ground! :wallbash:

To my mind it's a waste of a good hare to kick it out the seat then throw your dog on top of it !

my sentiments exactly romany 52 :thumbs:

Edited by boyo

ive never run the fens so i cant comment but i just wouldnt be happy watching my dog run a hare into the ground! :wallbash:

personally they are the runs I most like to watch a proper hare a proper dog stand back and watch a real war between them, it sickens me when I've been out all day looking to watch a good course and you put a hare up and it gets caught in 2 bends, after all I love watching coursing so I would rather watch a 5 min course than a 20 second one, that's why I keep slow dogs hahaha
  • Like 2

Its like boxing your only as good as your oponent lets you look...

And ain't that the truth! All hares are not equal. A poor hare can make a poor dog look OK, but its not until the dog runs a good hare that you have the true measure of the dog.

Personally, if I was looking at land where to run a final, I wouldn't be looking at land that had never been run, unless of course you wanted to make it easier for the dogs. There used to be a saying: a hare's not a hare until it's had a dog on it. Even at this time of year, totally inexperienced hares will be easier to catch than ones that have been 'disturbed' by dogs over the season.

• Like 3

The main reson a dog has to run a long way is because it hasnt caught the hare. The average slip for a lurcher is around 5 to 10 yards which means if the dog takes 2 minetes to catch it. It is because it can not strike very well. Many a good whippet could catch them off slips like that, so its no big deal if a lurcher does. End of story.

:thumbs:

A top notch hare will take bout 5 mins to be caught I don't care if its the best fast killing dog in the country if it drops on the right hare it will take that long and if it can't stay that long it won't catch it, and a dog that can't kill a top notcher can't be considered to be top class, also I think you have got to know the dog to know how good the hare is because if you see a 5 min run with a dog you don't know you can't assume it was a very good hare because the dog mite be crap and a different dog mite of done it in 2 or 3 mins, like I say got to know the dog to know the hare

very true lucas run one yesterday for 5 mins

lucas must be the unluckiest dog in the country because he gets droped in behind them hares every time he goes out.ps and the other post claimed it was six minutes. :whistling:

are the hares on the fens different to hares elsewhere? its been a longtime since i ran a hare(1993 was the last time) but if any of my mongrel lurchers had taken any more than 3 mins to catch a hare i would have been very dissapointed!

Ohhh aye, they are super hares or so I'm told. It's down to the good feeding, game crops etc and all the exercise they get from the plodders
Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs would piss allover the high number of hares to be found. On the places all and sundry went, same dogs, totally different story!.
thats why some lads that go on permission that only gets run 2 or 3 times a season are kidding there selfs when knocking big numbers over get the same dogs on rabbits that are run every day and its a different out come

well said there the big match this week is takin place on a place were the hares havent been run all season as the gun men wont let u on till there season finished which was only last week so there not the fittest of hares on there. :thumbs:

are the hares on the fens different to hares elsewhere? its been a longtime since i ran a hare(1993 was the last time) but if any of my mongrel lurchers had taken any more than 3 mins to catch a hare i would have been very dissapointed!

Ohhh aye, they are super hares or so I'm told. It's down to the good feeding, game crops etc and all the exercise they get from the plodders
Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs would piss allover the high number of hares to be found. On the places all and sundry went, same dogs, totally different story!.
thats why some lads that go on permission that only gets run 2 or 3 times a season are kidding there selfs when knocking big numbers over get the same dogs on rabbits that are run every day and its a different out come

well said there the big match this week is takin place on a place were the hares havent been run all season as the gun men wont let u on till there season finished which was only last week so there not the fittest of hares on there. :thumbs:

there flyin were ever there being run.

oh no there not u get bad hares as well as gooduns try the scottish or slemish hares there hardly a test for an average lamping dog. :thumbs:

oh no there not u get bad hares as well as gooduns try the scottish or slemish hares there hardly a test for an average lamping dog. :thumbs:

ment on the fen like. ;)