So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

How do you know when spuds are ready to lift?

For First earlies in the ground, the rule of thumb is when they have finished flowering you can start picking them. But the longer you leave them in the ground the larger the potatoes become, dependant on variety and the amount of water they receive.

TC

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

Posted Images

They do say to obviously have a little dig around the plant but I can can never find sod all when I do that :laugh: so only really way is to yank a plant out to give a true reading. Also it takes a while to eat your way up the row so that can be taken into account. Also the slug issue maybe. I was amazed so far I have not seen a slug hole which is great so maybe the constant digging over as I now in my 3rd season is paying off :thumbs:

• Like 3

Spuds sorted for the week. Not the greatest producers so far but a hit taste wise

18994013866_d581a32dcc_b.jpg

savoy and purple sprouting in

19020325225_45d0ef0a65_b.jpg

this lot should get things moving next year

18832848968_46c07d34ee_b.jpg

Plenty of strawberries at the moment. I did plan on jam but I suspect they won't be in fridge long enough :)

19015099472_57fb28ed56_b.jpg

18397607344_770b4f3bc5_b.jpg

18397874324_921890a645_b.jpg

• Like 3

Summer calabrese have been bit of disaster I was expecting decent ones after the winter ones being quite tidy but they all have tiny heads

I have not done much watering if any so I think I need to pull me finger out. The runners looks quite pale and not happy as well

Edited by terryd

water wars lol. I am lucky I have a few big drums laying around on my plot that I can fall back on if the communal ones are empty.

Few bits tonight and the first of me Yellow-Podded Mange-Tout Pea

Edited by terryd

strawberry jam done :) Blackberry jam next when the time comes and we done

19127911921_5acf2fda55_b.jpg

Microwave?

TC

not the strawberry Allan but will the blackberry as per your recipe worked a charm last year and beats messing about checking for a set :thumbs:

I wasn't sure the strawberry would work being lower in pectin and didn't want to cock it up

• Like 1

Microwave?

TC

not the strawberry Allan but will the blackberry as per your recipe worked a charm last year and beats messing about checking for a set :thumbs:

I wasn't sure the strawberry would work being lower in pectin and didn't want to cock it up

That's why you use jam sugar it has added pectin. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

Microwave?

TC

That's why you use jam sugar it has added pectin. :thumbs:

TC

yes thats what I used tonight. Will give it a whirl next time saves a lot of messing about

Parsnips looking healthy one of my favourite veg to grow nothing seems to bother them and they seem reliable

19211016581_9bf09726e1_c.jpg

runners starting to climb

18586627993_5c6223e41a_c.jpg

sweetcorn starting to go

19019640170_f5a4eabc72_c.jpg

plenty of mange tout

18584546424_72304e973f_c.jpg

not a slug to be seen in the spuds which is bloody marvellous it was doing my head last year :)

19207128145_c105423777_c.jpg

• Like 2