So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

lol jok you just named the two that don't work well in modules. I have never tried beetroots like that before all ways sown direct and I have this year too but also tried some off in modules and to be honest so far it does seem to agree with them. Plus you dont get gaps and you can slot them in where ever you see fit. All my brassica I start off in pots and get them well developed before planting out. I do sow swede direct as well

Edited by terryd

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Yes looks good. Nice to have someone else do the growing for you. Thought the whole idea was to do your own ffs. I think it's all changing and to be honest garden centres have made life easier. Going back to beetroot, I always set a reasonably thin row and have baby beets when about 1.1/2" round so thinning out allowed for a good 6/8 weeks growing and always end up with a good crop. I tried parsnip plugs which looked superb and became the laughing stock at show time. Shrivelled up with about 7/8 curly roots. Horrible. Never again. All in all, this season, I'm chuffed to bits with almost everything. The dreaded cabbage White is not so far away so beware. How did Terry get on with the blight? Anyone had problems with ants or mice ? Jok.

Yes looks good. Nice to have someone else do the growing for you. Thought the whole idea was to do your own ffs. I think it's all changing and to be honest garden centres have made life easier. Going back to beetroot, I always set a reasonably thin row and have baby beets when about 1.1/2" round so thinning out allowed for a good 6/8 weeks growing and always end up with a good crop. I tried parsnip plugs which looked superb and became the laughing stock at show time. Shrivelled up with about 7/8 curly roots. Horrible. Never again. All in all, this season, I'm chuffed to bits with almost everything. The dreaded cabbage White is not so far away so beware. How did Terry get on with the blight? Anyone had problems with ants or mice ? Jok.

blight free so far jok but only a matter of time lol. Yea the dreaded whites won't be far away. I hate them sods which is why i net up but still get some damage

It is interesting to see how different people do things. After all there is more than one way of skinning a cat, growing beets etc:

Nice to have someone else do the growing for you.Thought the whole idea was to do your own ffs.

I have noticed a lot of these barbed comments from you recently is there any need? We all do things differently and what works for one may not work for others, but just because people do things different to yourself it does not make it wrong and certainly does not need to attract that type of comment.

TC

The good thing about growing in plugs, is that you get a head start growing under cover until you plant out, missing bad weather and frosts, plus most folk I know that have lotties don't have gardens at home to grow stuff on.

No TC. Not meant in anyway controversial. I only say what my head thinks and hope that it helps folks. I agree totally about doing your own thing and finding ways of successfully growing vegetables. This is, without doubt, the longest thread on the forum and I for one hope that continues. Any help, from any member, is gratefully accepted. Hope that clears that up. Jok.

• Like 1

Firs lot of leeks went in when the beets did so about a month ago I think got them gifted they was about 4inch tall

Just an honest question, are you using sulphate of ammonia? That is impressive growth for a month, In fact your plot looks very impressive. :thumbs:

TC

May be just over a month but not much , no chemicals just 2 ton of duck muck , am new to gardening only had plots 4 years now I just copied the old boys the Alotments, will try get more pics tomorrow, iv changed jobs so now have more time to weed witch makes a massive difference to the look of the plot

• Like 2

My Mange Tout is struggling but my salads are shooting up.

Corn to go in, Beetroot is coming on, tatties are doing well, spinach is going mental, peppers are the same.

Bought a Hybrid apple tree which seems to be doing well, will post more soon.