Irish Greyhound Coursing Clubs

for all the irish lads on here and to any others that this disscussion may be relevant feel free to join in.In the last few seasons I have gone out of my way to avoid know and claimed coursing land....there are some places that are just not worth the hassle.Firstly I am a supporter of organised coursing.My good friend and at times coursing partner(lurchers that is) has 6 dogs qualified for Clonmel irish coursing festival,but he also keeps a pair of deerhound x's for rough hunting/coursing so hes not the people im going to be on about.I have taken part in regulated greyhound coursing events in so far as I helped,recapture the dogs after the course was over and generally helped walk them to empty out before a meeting etc but thats as far as I would have gone in it so just a little bit done.Anyway I will retell an incident Ive had just lately.I was out runing the 1st x saluki and was on land I had full permission on,the farmer knows me well and we get on fine.always have a chat and a joke and he gives me his blessing to walk and hunt away.I was out on his land a few weeks ago and had the dog on slip.a hare rose and I let it run 40-60 yards as we were in a big open spot,sliped the dog and away we went,a good run and up at the far end a few turns put in and he nabbed te hare.was retrieving the yoke and whatever way I turned ,there was a bloke 2 fields over heading straight for me..I thought ....ok,what the fuk is this now but not unduly concerned as I had permission,I made my way to the dog coming down and then I spoted another bloke coming from the opposite direction.Now I was starting to think.........theres going to be a bit of shit flying here soon.So I made my way over to the top hedge out of both their view and jumped down into a drain and decided to head away up and around the back of the first fellow and avoid confrontation.so I walked away for a while and just as I turned the bend another hare broke from a furz bush and off went the dog 3 turns and job done.sonic was out in the open and was clearly visible by the other bloke who now started shouting,dog retrieves so I decided to leg it..lol

Took off and around the whole field still in the drain,2 hares and dog in tow.I hit the start of the drain and up into the field and made my way down to the van.loaded up the dog etc and just as I was pulling off heres 2 more blokes way up the road and they runing down to get to me.Well I can tell you I was away like a bird .I rang the landowner that evening and he said even though he owns the land the coursing club lays claim to the hares on it.I thought what a load of shit,Then theres another spot where I hunt,wild mountain,rushy rocky land and a nice few hares.Miles up away from anywhere.So I park in this mans land also and hes spot on.Ive had a few deer culled for him as they are a nuisance,knocking wire and on the rare occasion gouging cattle and being just a general pest.My son and i go there a bit and one morning I was up there agin,had a few runs caught one hare and made my way back to the van.Dogs loaded up and hare tucked away,here around the lane way comes a car with two blokes.They jump out throwing a few shapes and ask what I was doing around here.Now Mattie the land owner was in the sheds tending to the cattle,I said what has it got to do with you,he tells me hes fro a coursing club and they catch the hares here for the coursing events and they dont want anyone around interfering with them .So I give mattie a shout out he comes.explain the situation to him and he flips.He says ....do you fukcing think you own every hare in Ireland ye bollox(his exact words)lol.This is my land for as far as you can see and this man(me) can come and go as he pleases and you and yer club can fukc off and darent darken my property again.

Now heres the issue I have with this carry on.The coursing crowd(of which I am a supporter remember)think they have the right to every living bloody hare in this country.they gang up on folk,damage their vehicles and just act like common thugs without knowing who their dealing with.Does anyone ever get the same treatment?I am geting to the situation where Im starting to get sick of these ''regulators'' of wildlife.they come down mob handed and tell folk to get lost even though the lurcher owner may have permission.Anoither time I was involved with a dog runing in an organised coursing event,had the dog after the run and met an old ''friend'' who was an avid lurcher fan a long time before.he walked up and shook my hand,had a bit of small talk and then asked''DO YOU STILL KEEP THE LURCHERS'' when I said I did he says,just do us one favour,leave the hares alone,...well fukc this says I.I remember I said,you were a fair man to lamp and kill hare a few years back and here you are now telling folk to not hunt them.You dont own them all I said so shut the hell up.Its like their god given right to be the only ones to hunt them,and the only reason most of them do it is because they make money from selling and buying dogs.To me,I consider myself more of a sportsman than any of these people.They go onto hillside where they have no right to be at times and at night and just before light,net and capture most of the hares and keep them in compounds for their events,and they think this is ok,they are supposed to release them back to where they got them later but I do know some dont and I know for certain of one man that took two and let them loose and let the greyhounds kill them once finished with their events.

I know this is long winded but just wondering has anyone else have had trouble from coursing clubs on land that they have no claim over.it just seems to me they lay claim over every hare and green field that holds a populstion of hares.....RANT OVER :laugh:

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for all the irish lads on here and to any others that this disscussion may be relevant feel free to join in.In the last few seasons I have gone out of my way to avoid know and claimed coursing land...

thirty years ago they wrecked my van in ardee,now i have more farms to go on than they have to net on,makes you mad.they try to stop you running an doing the best sport in the world,one dog one hare.a

the other thing that pisses me off(oh know hes off again I hear you scream),they get on to land net the shit out of it,cart away anything they net and when they have sufficient hares traped they STILL

Posted Images

Has giro said always the same really even with the fox hounds,Normally the lads who know f**k all about hunting.

Theres so many lads hunting at the moment though,That even friendly farmers are getting feed up,Plus then you have the internet showing things that people would have never thought of.

We get it from a gamekeeper on a niebouring estate to one we have permission on. The last time he came driving over the crops in his landrover jumped out shotgun at the ready. I rang the landowner who threatened to have him arrested for armed tresspass. You shouldve seen his face when he told us infront of the keeper "seeing as you lads control the foxes better than that dozy cnut any pheasants you see your welcome too on here". Dog lads :1 keeper : 0.

Keep at it lads

• Like 2

the other thing that pisses me off(oh know hes off again I hear you scream),they get on to land net the shit out of it,cart away anything they net and when they have sufficient hares traped they STILL dont want anyone disturbing the hares they missed even though they dont need them as theyve filled their quota,bunch of greedy bastawrds.I have no problem teling these folk where to go but when you see a few coming in from all sides and all carrying sticks/batons then its not quiet that straightforward.I remember I had a shotgun pointed at my face when I pulled in at a farm,this ape started telling me if he found a lurcher or as he called it a ''b*****d HOUND'' in the van hed shoot me and the dog.I looked at the bloke in the back ground and recognised him as a cop,I told him if he didnt fuk off with the gun id put it over the local radio station about him being involved in an altercation with a firearm.The shotty wielding idiot told me to get up that road and dont ever darken this place again,lol I went the next day and reported the incident to the station he was working from,they took details and I never heard a word again about it,theres always the story of geting back to the van and finding the tyres slashed and the likes,their like the friggin countryside mafia FFS.How do you get around this carry on,they seem to be able to do anything they want without repercussion.the best story i ever heard though was when a bloke I knew told the greyhound bully if he didnt calm down,hed be found lying down,the screaming fool says and who's going to get me to lie down..............wallop,down he went,lol.

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 3

jigsaw and most of them would buy rabbits from you and some will buy lurchers that are live to hand saves them buying rabbits. sold a bitch 5 years ago never made it on fox but was live to hand. a chap who had coursing hounds bought her took her out and she was catching no bother. he rang me saying the rabbit were not living till the next day. so took himout with my other bitch which was live to hand both bitches took 5 each that night told him to take them all and he rang me the next day that only 2 lived. so i told him to buy a ferret lol

• Like 2

danny I know only too well if hey wanted rabbits theyd be on to the first lurcher owner they could find,ive been approached a ton of times for the likes.Banner man, thats how i roll.I try to be as hospitibale to all but as I said when you get a bunch of them driving around with intent on doing pysichal harm to a lone lurcherman then what do ye do.Its hard enough to find a run or two these days without haveing to deal with this carry on or get back to your wheels and find you dont have any because of some sneaky coward that has just stuck a knife or screwdriver in them.How did it get to the stage where they think they have complete ownership of every hare in the country.