223 Or 22-250 For Foxing?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New barrel every year?? :laugh: This is a myth started by people who know feck all. I've been shooting one flat out for the past 7 years. I wouldn't like to be a fox at 300 yards yet! For normal sho

Congratulations ! You are leading in the 2013 facts i should not of posted ,   I have just sold my .22/250 as my .17fireball is now my preference, as it is faster than a .22/250 that must mean th

Bullet selection is exactly the same,they both fire a .224 bullet,and dont make me laugh,NEW BARREL EVERY YEAR,a keeper freind of mine has one he has used 4 or 5 nights a week for 15 years and it is s

Posted Images

Opinion seems to be that the 22-250 is superb, but you will need a replacement barrel every year??

Not exp, just when I researched the same issue.

My advice, .223 and a session on the range to draw a trajectory graph for the gun/ammo.

Congratulations ! :boogy: You are leading in the 2013 facts i should not of posted ,

I have just sold my .22/250 as my .17fireball is now my preference, as it is faster than a .22/250 that must mean the barrels only last 6 months ? :whistling:

• Like 1

I've owned both, for me I prefer a .223, its quieter and I find its a lot easier to see your hits with a .223 than a .22-250, power wise I've seen foxes drop like sacks of sh!te up to 300yards so I don't think its lacking in power, just ticks all the boxes for me.

Both will kill them just as dead. I have a .223, with 40 grain bullets zeroed an inch high at 100 yards all you need to do is point and shoot out to 250 yards. Beyond that requires a little consideration but it's not overly taxing. I'm not familiar with the bullet selection for the .22-250, but the .223 is very popular so there is a lot of ammo choice outside of hand loading.

Think it was Woz said 90% of foxes will be inside 200 yards, very true.

Both will kill them just as dead. I have a .223, with 40 grain bullets zeroed an inch high at 100 yards all you need to do is point and shoot out to 250 yards. Beyond that requires a little consideration but it's not overly taxing. I'm not familiar with the bullet selection for the .22-250, but the .223 is very popular so there is a lot of ammo choice outside of hand loading.

Bullet selection is exactly the same,they both fire a .224 bullet,and dont make me laugh,NEW BARREL EVERY YEAR,a keeper freind of mine has one he has used 4 or 5 nights a week for 15 years and it is still deadly accurate,it is down to how you look after them,and not letting the barrel get too hot.
  • Like 1

Bullet selection is exactly the same,they both fire a .224 bullet,and dont make me laugh,NEW BARREL EVERY YEAR,a keeper freind of mine has one he has used 4 or 5 nights a week for 15 years and it is still deadly accurate,it is down to how you look after them,and not letting the barrel get too hot.

For factory ammo?

I never mentioned anything about barrels.

But you will need a replacement barrel every year??

post-41670-0-42617200-1359054683.gif

Opinion seems to be that the 22-250 is superb, but you will need a replacement barrel every year??

Not exp, just when I researched the same issue.

My advice, .223 and a session on the range to draw a trajectory graph for the gun/ammo.

Congratulations ! :boogy: You are leading in the 2013 facts i should not of posted ,

I have just sold my .22/250 as my .17fireball is now my preference, as it is faster than a .22/250 that must mean the barrels only last 6 months ? :whistling:

Don't you guys understand QUESTION MARKS, ?

I was asking in a manner if the barrel burn out thing was true or not, not stating it was, take the time to read before your neck pokes out. :boogy: to you too, :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by cyclonebri1

Just a bit of crack, I've got a .22-250 that's over 20 years old now, and still the same barrel, and use it regular, I think it's when you use it hot not giving it a chance to cool down that wears it out quicker, as mentioned before. I wished I was well enough off to burn a barrel out every year, that would take a good few grand. :thumbs:

For factory ammo?

I never mentioned anything about barrels.

No you did not mate my apologies,I was sort of answering two posts at once,as regards factory ammo,whatever weight/bullet type you choose for a .223 you can also choose for the .22-250 one size fits all so to speak,and they are both a common calibre.
  • Like 1

I zeroed at 54 yards my point blank zero was 256 yards and an inch high at 100....I used 40g in my 223 and 50g in my 22.250 I got caught up in the I need a bigger calibre thing and the only ones that benefit are the dealers......

I dont get on with 22.250's for years I used 222 and never had a problem,I now use 223 as an upgrade to my 222 I love the round,52 grn hollow point stuf's them no problem,as for range I heve done them out to 250 yds,the skill lies in geting them close,some ground you can do them at long ranges as the backstop is to die for,look at the ground you are shooting,go around your nearest gun shops see which ammo is heavily stocked, that will tell you what the locals are useing, and give you some indication of availability,I prefer 223 myself and still say I shouldnt have sold my 222 it will boil down to personal preference go and try any of your freinds rifles,see which you get on with best,make an informed decision,longevity of the barrels has been a topical subject for year's,and if you were target shooting loads of rounds a day,I think 22.250 would probably wear quicker,other than that I know some old 22,250's as been preaviously said,and if you are home loading and.measuring the head space every now and then and adjusting the bullet lenght to suit,the gun will last for donkey's years,

Just a bit of crack, I've got a .22-250 that's over 20 years old now, and still the same barrel, and use it regular, I think it's when you use it hot not giving it a chance to cool down that wears it out quicker, as mentioned before. I wished I was well enough off to burn a barrel out every year, that would take a good few grand. :thumbs:

The sort of reasoned feedback I expected :victory: :victory: , trying to dispell myths is sometimes a little difficult.