lurchers " English shepherd dog " anyone tried them?

Drovers are far from being a dead breed call them what you will herders Drovers or stock men !

USA with the English Shepherd which is said to be the best suited for farm and ranch work, where these dogs are also used for hunting! :yes::thumbs:

Australia kelpie : Kelpiesand dingoes are similar in conformation and colouring. there is no doubt that some people have deliberately mated dingoes to their Kelpies, and some opinion holds that the best dilution is 1/16–1/32, but that 1/2 and 1/4 will work. some do will kill sheep :hmm:

New Zealand : Huntaway herding dog : They are well known for being a noisy dog, :huh: especially when working!! Barkers :laugh:

English shepherd dog

Englishshepherd11_zpsee5afa6a.jpg

Some years back a friend of mine had a " English shepherd dog " type dog.

This dog looked a lot like the old welsh collie same coloring black & tan. size was a little larger than a collie, and a lot karmer not as hyper as my old collie lurcher .

Awesome at catching squirrels, very quick of the mark, and had good feet and a fast turn, I could see this dog had a smart head on his shoulders and could make a cracking lurcher but he was neutered!

has anyone tried them or know of any lurchers crossed from them.?

The English Shepherd

The Drovers and there dogs, which were on the road for weeks at a time,

Moving live stock from market town to another for resale, this dog fitted the bill for dovers and must have been a very good hunter!

I think its an old type Drovers Collie lurcher looking at the dogs long back and long neck, they were taken by English and Scottish settlers in the 18th and 19th centuries to the USA a type Collie which we have long lost!

They have a high intelligence an independent worker adaptable and learn routines quickly.

The quickest way to tell the English Shepherds from Border Collies is the English Shepherds have an upright, loose-eyed herding style. where the Border Collies tend to herd with a distinctive strong eye contact and a crouching stance.

English Shepherd

primarily was used on different livestock species, including cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and fowl. they both herded and protect livestock.

The Drovers

Back in the old days people that wanted to move money around the country would buy live stock at market towns and hire Drovers to take the live stock to where ever the man wanted it moveing to for resale, as they was still a lot of highway men and theives that plied the countryside.

The drovers also acted as messengers, as the carriers of news and, in an age where geographical mobility was severely limited, they were often responsible for carrying important documents for people.

The drovers were rough, tough men who were more than capable of holding their own in any confrontation with the locals they encountered on their journeys. Indeed, such was their reputation that they were regarded with fear and awe in most of the towns or villages they passed. They would drive their herds wherever they pleased and if crops or fences got in the way, that was just too bad.

They were assisted by well trained dogs that were sometimes sent home or back to the encampment alone once the drive was over. The dogs, their homing instincts well developed, followed the same route back and often "lodged" in the same inns that the drovers had stayed at on the outward leg.

On occasions the drovers put up for the night in a wayside inn or tavern, where the attentions of the local girls would have been most welcome. Often, though, nightfall found the cattle herd high up on the mountain and then the drovers would have had no option other than to sleep beside their charges on the cold ground. It was a hard, spartan life so it was no wonder that when the opportunity for a little leisure and comfort presented itself, the drovers grabbed it with both hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Derby Breeder said she has a bitch with a very strong hunting drive, much leaner looking same shape as a saluki, she said her stud dog has a low hunting drive , the breeder told me a young dog she bred just won the fly-ball championship!

She wont Put her dogs with other breeds so no cover here, people have asked about putting her dogs over collies.

She has a litter of pups now at £650 each so thats the end of it for now!

If anyone would like to know more or buy a pup try Edenvillage UK English Shepherds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some that blow the hunting horn on here dont really hunt or work dogs so dont be put of by some silly remarks below lads!

Edited by kevin-Day

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prick ears and pig ugly.........but give me purpose over pretty anyday !!!   "Say Cheese !!"

wanted....................     some sucker to buy this dog so i can use it for stud an peddle the new colliex

Posted Images

Some years back a friend of mine had a " English shepherd dog " This dog looked a lot like the old welsh collie same coloring black & tan. size was a little larger than a collie, and a lot karmer not as hyper as my old collie lurcher .

Awesome at catching squirrels, very quick of the mark, and had good feet and a fast turn, I could see this dog had a smart head on his shoulders and could make a cracking lurcher but he was neutered!

has anyone tried them or know of any lurchers crossed from them.?

Englishshepherd_zpse6718175.jpg

Nice idea but its just a farm collie, and there are plenty of these about, its just finding the right sort.

• Like 1

Times are changing you can spot a lurcher from a mile away!

Take a good long look at the Old type Drovers Colie and ask your self whats in its make-up, now what comes to mind? Collie lurcher? or Collie?

:thumbs: you tell me mate :victory:

The

English shepherd dog

have the head of a quick thinking collie nice back of a running dog , nice long neck for a quick strike and pick-up plus they have good feet.

:angel:

The quickest way to tell the English Shepherds from Border Collies is the English Shepherds have an upright, loose-eyed herding style.

where the Border Collies tend to herd with a distinctive strong eye contact and a crouching stance, when lamping tend to Creep up!

a real pain at times!

:whistling:

Edited by kevin-Day

Well people have bred kelpie lurchers and say thier very good pot fillers but very head strong, and most collie lurchers have feet problems , which keeps them of the hunting field.

These look have the head of a quick thinking collie and good feet like a kelpie best of both worlds. if you had seen this dog turn at speed like I did, I think they are worth giving a go if their is a breeder with the right dog.

The photos above are just what I lifted of Google photos there are much lighter weighted dogs.

Fellah this is not some special breed it is a bleeding farm collie lol just someone has tried to put a name to this type (which always is suspect)

There are hundreds of localised variants of a working collie in the uk.

Good hunting Sirius

• Like 1