BREEDING THE ULTIMATE LURCHER

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know where your coming from, you can train a dog, lurcher/terrier/gundog and yes you can have a handy animal, but the dog that's put back in the kennel to allow us to do other things will never be t

you cant get something out of a dog that nature didnt allready put there though if a dogs not got enough pace you cant do anything to its legs to make it run faster if its no wind you cant inflate its

I've put threads up in the past that all the best dogs are owned by guys unemployed. It's no big secret that the more stuff a dog sees the more it'll catch. Best advice I got when I was a lad with a 9

Comes down the age old saying " you get out of a dog what you put in" plain and simple. And that will never change.

you cant get something out of a dog that nature didnt allready put there though if a dogs not got enough pace you cant do anything to its legs to make it run faster if its no wind you cant inflate its lungs more :laugh: if its no heart you cant whisper in its ear to be more courageous and so on but a good owner will get the best out of whats there and know when to quit flogging a dead horse as well :thumbs:

• Like 3

Something that always bothers me about these old poachers who used their dogs to survive, put food on the table, buy clothes by selling their ill got game...... Why use a dog!!!! It's another mouth to feed. My auld grandad god rest his cotton socks was an old poacher and a very good one. He never used a dog, his way was the wire..... Snared everything from rabbit, hare, pheasant, deer...... Never cost a thing. Snares easier to conceal too. Yes they can be found but so can the beam of a lamp or a f*****g dog. Easy to ditch snares and a hare than a dog, no injuries etc. if I was to live on my means to catch my living, I'd have 2 ferrets and snares over a dog any day. Dog just brings attention and is a luxury.

yeh in the old days or today, you dont really need a dog,lets face a good rifle with a silencer on it will take big+small game.I suppose its just the buzz from seeing a lurcher run+catch stuff of today, but you (wont) beat a gun for poaching any quarry, better than any dog :yes:

• Like 2

Comes down the age old saying " you get out of a dog what you put in" plain and simple. And that will never change.

you cant get something out of a dog that nature didnt allready put there though if a dogs not got enough pace you cant do anything to its legs to make it run faster if its no wind you cant inflate its lungs more :laugh: if its no heart you cant whisper in its ear to be more courageous and so on but a good owner will get the best out of whats there and know when to quit flogging a dead horse as well :thumbs:

Totally agree. :yes:

• Like 1

But why would you get a shite dog in the first place :laugh: .

And I am still right :thumbs:

nobody buys a pup off 2 good parents thinking its going to be shite when it grows up :laugh: we all hope and pray it will be the best dog weve ever had but with all the mixtures and combinations of genes in lurchers sometimes theres litter wastage a pup or two that doesnt make the grade. you could spend every hour of every day on the dog and it still wont be any good. i could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong :laugh:

• Like 1

in theory we should all have the ultimate lurcher ,.........i mean were all happy with what we keep............

or are we saying the ultimate is the same as allrounder.............now there is different opionions on this............!

or is the ultimated classed as a dog that gives 100 % on everything.......?

or is it as i said ,....a dog that is loyal to you and does what you ask because this is what im thinking is the ultimate lurcher............?

or are we saying that ultimate is the same as your dog of a life time,..........the trouble is peoples opinonions on the word ultimate will differ.............leaving a huge question mark and this ls a wide open question which dog men will never agree on........ :hmm:

i think there are lads on here who think they already have the ultimate dog/lurcher

well of course they do or they wouldnt be in there kennel............the difference is, there your ultimate dog and they may not be ultimate to any one else...................

standards and all that lol.............. :D