BREEDING THE ULTIMATE LURCHER

i just think its down to modern times tho the need to move,guard stock over long distances(as well as put food on table) isnt there. the best base for this kind of dog could well be in another place where this is still a neccessity. i'll stick to me bitza and do what we can. cheers

Edited by broonball

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know where your coming from, you can train a dog, lurcher/terrier/gundog and yes you can have a handy animal, but the dog that's put back in the kennel to allow us to do other things will never be t

you cant get something out of a dog that nature didnt allready put there though if a dogs not got enough pace you cant do anything to its legs to make it run faster if its no wind you cant inflate its

I've put threads up in the past that all the best dogs are owned by guys unemployed. It's no big secret that the more stuff a dog sees the more it'll catch. Best advice I got when I was a lad with a 9

l hav a collie x will do all; day all night do not need to have a lead on him ; but l have put a lot of work in to this dog ; 4 to 5 hours a day ; now it paid off atb :thumbs:

FairPlay mate glad dog is doIng well for ye but it hard for alot of people to put 4 or 5 hours a day into there dogs with work etc your a lucky man

l hav a collie x will do all; day all night do not need to have a lead on him ; but l have put a lot of work in to this dog ; 4 to 5 hours a day ; now it paid off atb :thumbs:

FairPlay mate glad dog is doIng well for ye but it hard for alot of people to put 4 or 5 hours a day into there dogs with work etc your a lucky man

D L A :yes:

yes it is mate very hard at times ; but l am lucky l do work for my self and sum times l work a lot long with me dog [bANNED TEXT] l got no work ;as times are hard now l senp more time with me dog now then l do at work ; so it nice to have me dog around atb :thumbs:

I've put threads up in the past that all the best dogs are owned by guys unemployed. It's no big secret that the more stuff a dog sees the more it'll catch. Best advice I got when I was a lad with a 9 month pup, get it out, get it out, get it out...... Or was that what the old perv in the woods used to say...... See my memory :laugh:

• Like 2

Something that always bothers me about these old poachers who used their dogs to survive, put food on the table, buy clothes by selling their ill got game...... Why use a dog!!!! It's another mouth to feed. My auld grandad god rest his cotton socks was an old poacher and a very good one. He never used a dog, his way was the wire..... Snared everything from rabbit, hare, pheasant, deer...... Never cost a thing. Snares easier to conceal too. Yes they can be found but so can the beam of a lamp or a f*****g dog. Easy to ditch snares and a hare than a dog, no injuries etc. if I was to live on my means to catch my living, I'd have 2 ferrets and snares over a dog any day. Dog just brings attention and is a luxury.

Something that always bothers me about these old poachers who used their dogs to survive, put food on the table, buy clothes by selling their ill got game...... Why use a dog!!!! It's another mouth to feed. My auld grandad god rest his cotton socks was an old poacher and a very good one. He never used a dog, his way was the wire..... Snared everything from rabbit, hare, pheasant, deer...... Never cost a thing. Snares easier to conceal too. Yes they can be found but so can the beam of a lamp or a f*****g dog. Easy to ditch snares and a hare than a dog, no injuries etc. if I was to live on my means to catch my living, I'd have 2 ferrets and snares over a dog any day. Dog just brings attention and is a luxury.

i have a snare called rover, been training him for years and he still carnt lick his own b*****ks :angel: