bolt or a stayer

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anyone with a lot of ground to cover. and lots of foxes will have a bolting terrier. as the most important tool in the box. i despair sometimes i really do. used the right way most terriers will make

Dont think there is such an animal as a bolting terrier,any terrier will bolt a fox,hard or yapper as long as the fox has a way out away from the dog then it will go.Had a bolt from a shore only last

A quote like that usually comes from a meat head or someone that stays local and digs the same old usual few earths, or may be both?..Granted there not everyone's cup of tea (not particularly mine) &a

Posted Images

bitchie,

can you go back to the same places year on year and take the same numbers?

digs gave people opportunity to release game

yes but not always with the same results, but then we have alot of rabbits,fasan and allthat again because they are not all eaten by foxes!!!!

keep on digging

no one has to agree

but that

post-80137-0-22114300-1355569991.jpg

is not possible with in two days (sat. & sunday) groundhunt if you has to digg them all.

it was about 6 years ago 10 Terrier and 3 teckel and 2 eagle.

what a great weekend :boogy:

some sport there,have you any pics of the eagle after a fox :thumbs:

i´m sure but dont know where it will take time to find them!

let you know

keep on digging

on the green isles were you are hardly allowed to hunt foxes with dogs you prefer a dog that stays till dug, even when a fox in many cases can be bolted, you release foxes after a good dig and especially vixens are let run to secure your sport for next season.

how do you think this looks to an outsider? what does this do to your image as gamekeepers?

i love to shoot a fox in front of hounds, if they go to ground i´ll dig them out and shoot them, but only if they dont bolt. i´m especially glad if its a vixen that is shot or a sow that is dug out since this means fewer predators next year and more hares to run with my hound. my predatorhunting is of course selfish, i enjoy hunting them and i hunt them to secure next years harehunting. but to an outsider it sounds a lot different, and he is not impressed by a 6 hour dig that ended with you letting the fox run to be dug again later. my "advice": dig the ones that don´t bolt and shoot the ones that you can, you should at the very least pretend to.

• Like 1

I'd hope it would show the outsider what a load of old bollocks the anti hunting law is and how is hasn't helped any fox and infact it has and will continue to cause the deaths of many a fox and hunting is not all ways about killing either.

on the green isles were you are hardly allowed to hunt foxes with dogs you prefer a dog that stays till dug, even when a fox in many cases can be bolted, you release foxes after a good dig and especially vixens are let run to secure your sport for next season.

how do you think this looks to an outsider? what does this do to your image as gamekeepers?

i love to shoot a fox in front of hounds, if they go to ground i´ll dig them out and shoot them, but only if they dont bolt. i´m especially glad if its a vixen that is shot or a sow that is dug out since this means fewer predators next year and more hares to run with my hound. my predatorhunting is of course selfish, i enjoy hunting them and i hunt them to secure next years harehunting. but to an outsider it sounds a lot different, and he is not impressed by a 6 hour dig that ended with you letting the fox run to be dug again later. my "advice": dig the ones that don´t bolt and shoot the ones that you can, you should at the very least pretend to.

hardly allowed to hunt foxes...........................you either can or you cant lol

Dont think there is such an animal as a bolting terrier,any terrier will bolt a fox,hard or yapper as long as the fox has a way out away from the dog then it will go.Had a bolt from a shore only last week by a very hard terrier,bullx only for the fox to re enter same shore again and 2nd time round it did not get the chance to bolt.Once seen a smallish collie get up an earth about 5-6 ft and lay there barking its head off and after a few min foxy bolted further down from a different exit,as i say if it can get out it will go dont matter what sort of terrier is behind it.

• Like 7

when i was hunting foxes more often. i would kill foxes that where causing a problem. in area's they arnt a problem. they would often be allowed to run.

a pest is only a pest becouse of where it is not what it is. on the face of it. it sounds odd but it makes sense to look after your sport. by ensuring there are enough foxes to hunt. and removing problem pests efficiently will see you have plenty of permission. as for digging. thats personal prefference. . i could wipe out the foxes on my permision by shooting and snareing. a lot more efficiantly than by bolting them. and so could you . so if its efficient pesting you want . rather than sporting hunting. sell the dogs and by a gun and bag of snares :thumbs:

• Like 4

i´m not talking about whats most efficient and i´m definatly not saying you have to kill everything you hunt. i did live-trapping for one season but i had such a hard time despatching them in the traps that i stopped, but yeah trapping is the most efficient way. the predator-population here is unnaturally large and should be hunted hard, if it was small and fragile i wouldnt hunt them.